Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

A question about HVX and a couple of my hostas

brandys_garden
9 years ago

I am convinced that Bressingham Blue is showing signs of HVX... So I moved it so it does not touch any of my others now. Ed (the hosta guy) told me that Bressingham Blue is immune to HVX and that it could be another virus or something else going on?

I am also concerned about Guacamole. It has just a touch of mottling on one leaf. Ed said that Guacamole is not immune but has a very slim chance of HVX. And a touch of mottling can be normal and is probably nothing. He said it could be a variety of things, fertilizer or some kind of chemical or cleaner that was sprayed while I was cleaning might have blown onto that leaf. He said he doesn't believe Guacamole is in any danger.

Is this all accurate? I'll post pics of both when I can. I just don't want to trash them (especially not Guacamole because it's gorgeous) without being certain. We did try the testing strip on Guacamole and it said it does not have HVX but I heard that it doesn't test for ALL strains of HVX. But is Guacamole less susceptible? And is Bressingham Blue immune?

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

And is Bressingham Blue immune?

==>>>

not that i am aware ... no hosta is IMMUNE ....

there is only one strain of HVX.... but there are other viruses ... such was just covered in some post this week ... maybe someone else can link you ...

he has a lot of excuses ... i want to see the pix ... please??

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

We need to see pics. Ken, the last round of research "suggested" that sieboldiana types can't be infected. I'm not sure I buy that conclusion. But it is true that the researchers couldn't infect Frances Williams, despite trying very hard to do so.

Here's the quote from the latest HVX brochure:
    "Interesting to note that of eight different hosta
    cultivars tested for susceptibility to infection by
    foliar inoculation, there was significantly
    different reactions ranging from highly
    susceptible to seemingly immune. H. âÂÂFrances
    WilliamsâÂÂ, âÂÂElegansâ and âÂÂGreat ArrivalâÂÂ, could
    not be infected with HVX during the study. It
    appears the higher the percentage of H.
    sieboldiana parentage, the higher the immunity."

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Virus X Brochure

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, Steve. The ones I have in my glovebox ready to hand out when I see an infected one at a nursery/retailer were the older ones. I think I'll print a bunch of these new ones.

-Babka

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I didn't get these hostas from him so he has no need to have a lot of excuses. He showed me a list done by Missouri's Botanical Garden. It seems legit. I'll try to find the link and post it on here.
    Here is Bressingham Blue

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is Guacamole. It's only on one leaf. No where else whereas Bressingham Blue has it on every leaf.
    I can't find the link to the list? :-(

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dang it! I posted the wrong pic of Guacamole. Oh and it did show negative on the HVX test strips for Guacamole. I did not test Bressingham Blue.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no on BB ... cold damage.. another leaf was covering it ... hence the pattern ... if i didnt want to look at it.. i would just snip it off ...

i dont know on G ... could very well be ONE OF THE VIRUSES ... but not hvx ... the strips are not all inclusive ...

well.. good if he was opining on things you did not buy from him ... he was providing knowledge ... kudos ...

it would only be an excuse if he was defending that which he sold ... eh???

i know you are excited you found a local hosta buddy ... i just wanted to make sure... you are not missing anything ...

when i go to buy things.. no matter what.. i have a bunch of questions.. i know the answers to ... and by asking them.. i find out who is BSing who ... i am glad you have us.. to double check ...

now.. what do the rest of you say on the G???

ken

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken! I got them both from CofO's greenhouse center. So if it's in their greenhouse... June is supposedly one of the most susceptible (according to the list I was shown) and I also got her from CofO... Also Albomarginata is, as well. But the rest of mine, it said, fall in the less susceptible category. Bressingham Blue was the only one of mine it said was immune.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Not an expert here, but the Bressingham Blue damage looks like some of mine that were damaged by weather. (I had damage on my blue NOIDs that affected many leaves.)

The Guacamole, HVX I don't know, but that doesn't look too good. It would cause me to worry as well. At least it's in a pot. You can kind of scoooot it away from your other hostas. For now, at least.

Perhaps Chris will see this thread and weigh in his expert opinion. Or Brandy, go to Hallson Garden website and send an e-mail with a pic of your Guacamole to Chris Wilson's attention and see what he thinks.

Good luck,
    Don B.