Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Hosta Stops near Green Bay's Midwest Hosta Convention

Mary4b
9 years ago

I thought it would be a great idea to post & review some hosta destinations/vendors for folks driving to the Green Bay MRHS Convention June 26-28. There was another thread recently re. hosta places in Northeast Wisconsin, but there may be folks coming from North, South, East & West, so let's talk about great places to visit (or avoid?) throughout Wisconsin, as folks might be "passing through"....

I'd like to highly recommend a place right near the convention in Luxemburg, WI. Eric Marcelle of The Plantscapers will be a vendor at the convention, but his family's farm garden and nursery is very visit-worthy. I fell in love with it on Memorial Day weekend and have already driven over an hour to go back since then...so that I could spent more time and look around their gardens!
Eric told me he's been working on hybridizing hostas since he was 12...he's in his 30's now. This is not your typical nursery, it is obviously a home & business maintained by folks with a passion for plants. You'll find hostas, some unusual trees & shrubs, bonsai, a gorgeous barn with creative stonework, hypertufa pots...
He has developed a few beautiful hostas that he's hoping to register very soon now, among them are Ephemeral Sunshine, Old Cardboard Boxes and Green Bay Green & Gold. I found them all very worthy and bought one of each. He has a very nice big Green Bay Green & Gold that I would have liked to buy, but he said it was potted up as a donation for the auction. It's a big, corrugated leaf with Packer colors. That will be a great OS to watch for at the auction!
They have limited hours, so do check the website, or call/email before going, especially since Eric will be at the convention.

I am not affiliated with them.

Anyone have another special place to recommend in Wisconsin?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Plantscapers, Luxemburg Wisconsin

Comments (4)