Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lupinguy

Please ID this guy

lupinguy
9 years ago

Hello Everyone
I have this hosta that was suppose to be hosta montana aureomarginata however I am pretty sure its not since its much smaller. its been in the garden for 3 years now, its grown from the sense of getting more eyes.

Anyway I really like it but I would like to have an accurate name for my list :)

The photo also has a Whirlwind at the top for size comparison my mystery plant is the bottom one. As far as flower goes if I recall from last year its a soft Mauve color and the leaves are about 5 inches long and Glossy with average substance.

Any insight would be great.

Regards,

Ray

Comments (6)

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!
    Looks like a young 'Mack the Knife' to me.
    Vanessa

• User
    9 years ago

Do you happen to have a Harpoon? Mine is young just came this year. But check out the Hosta Library pictures.

Here is mine on May 29

Paul in MN has one which inspired me to get this one.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Maybe Wolverine

Paul

• donrawson
    9 years ago

I'm thinking it could be Brass Horn, a sport of Fortunei Stenantha. I used to grow Brass Horn, but don't have it anymore.

It also looks like the pics of Harpoon, but I've never grown that one, so I can't give much input.

According to The Hostapedia, both Brass Horn and Harpoon have nearly the same leaf size (6-7 inches wide x 11 inches long). Brass Horn has lavender flowers from mid-July to early August, while Harpoon has purple flowers from late August into September.

• lupinguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Paul
    Definatly not Wolverine as I have one, The leaves on this No ID have more gloss on them.

I just ran out and took a few measurements. The leaves are 6.5 inches long and 3 wide.

I looked at Brass Horn I'm thinking its not this. My NO Id has more of a Yellow margin vs Green.

As far as Harpoon goes I think my NO ID have a wider margin.

I will have to update this once it flowers.

• User
    9 years ago

In my Harpoon picture, the plant began turning the creamy margin from its initial yellowish margin, Yours has the yellow, leaf shape much the same as mine. Have not seen a Brass Horn.

Taken May 2