Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

loyalist with green eye

hostahosta
9 years ago

One of my Loyalists has a section of larger, round, solid green leaves for the second year in a row. I know L is a sport of Patriot (one of many). Is a solid green sport common? Or is it a reversion to something else in the family tree? I actually like the larger, round green leaves. I think it is probably too small to separate out at this point, but would like to try it anyone thinks it would survive. What do you think?

Comments (10)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Patriot is a sport of Francee. Francee is a sport of Fortunei Hyacinthia (sp?). Your green is probably pretty similar to that one. It grows like a weed, so if you don't want your Loyalist being all green, I would suggest you remove it. It looks like it's putting out another green eye on the right side.

bk

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

IMHO if you don't divide it off the whole plant is likely to end up the reversion.

Git r done ;-)

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Yes, my young loyalist did that. I just dug it up and extricated the one or two solid green eyes. It's done well and stayed white ever since.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

The plant is NOT reverting, it's sporting. For it to revert it would have to revert to 'Patriot'. Both 'Loyalist' and its offspring 'Revolution' are well known for their penchant to throw green sports. I refer to my 'Revolution' sports as "Green Revolution" and must admit a soft spot for them: they're vigorous and quite striking.

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, in any case it'll easily divide with no harm to either piece, most likely.

Don B.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Sport/revert... doesn't matter at this point.

What does matter is that Loyalist is not a very strong grower and that green eye will take over. Normally, I'd say just reach down and rip out that eye, but in this case, I think it needs to be divided out.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I agree, this green one has a nice leaf form. I would divide the green one out (carefully) and replant it.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Separating out that division is on my garden to do list for tomorrow. It is supposed to be a cooler day (high 70's) and I plan to spend it in the garden. Long list of odds and ends to accomplish! I will try to save the green sport. I like the color and the leaf shape.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I'm new at all this and am not giving advice, but I had something like this happen to me. I bought a "Fire and ice" thinking it was cool that there was a totally green shoot coming from it. All the rest was white and green like it supposed to look like. Needless to say, all those that mentioned the white will disappear and the green take over is correct. There are no more white variegated leaves that grow on this just green, dark green. I still kept it because after all its still a hosta!!

Michelle

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Divided out that all green eye. Here it is planted in the garden. Hope it grows now!