Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Little NOID is Showing Mature Variegation

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

It's still a slow-growing, single-eyed sieboldiana type, but she's giving me clues to what she is. Reminds me of something the Lachmans would create, but I'm not sharp enough to positive ID it yet. Looking like a very nice vairiety, though.

NOID last year...

Comments (17)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...and the very same NOID earlier this month.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She's in mostly shade against the North side of the house. Looking pretty, she's in no hurry to grow.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

one of the northern halo types ???

ken

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope so, Ken; That would be nice.

Don B.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Where did you get this one Don? It kind of reminds me of Snow Cap which might show up in a random bag of bare roots from someplace like walmart.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exactly, Chris, it was from some big box store or another, probably WM, got it before I knew what HVX was, about 2010-2011, no later than that. SUPER slow grower. It was in a little pot. Was not labeled. Is Snow Cap some kind of crap variety? I don't know anything about it. At the moment, it looks like a presentable-enough plant. After several years of nothing.

One of Aden's less-than-glorious 'acquisitions'?

Thanks,
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 3:42

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Just as Chris says, I am one of those people who picked up a bag of bare root hostas in which this one appeared. I think mine looks like yours, don't you? Just one year older (2012).

I think I'll call it Snow Cap NOID for now.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks pretty darn close, NHL. Well, as long as it's not virused, and keeps getting bigger, I'll be happy. : )

Don B.

Don B.

9 years ago

Well, let's compare hostas next year!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i am sorry don.. but that is far.. very far.. from MATURE variegation ...

its getting closer ... but who knows what will become of it...

but thats not to say.. any of the guesses above might not be correct...

i am just debating your choice of words ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whatever, Ken. Go quibble with someone else.

Don B.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Nice looking little "Snow cap" if that's what it is. I had actually bought one a few years back and its still smaller than yours
    I've also done the grab bag of tiny hosta roots from Vesey's one year when I was making a huge bed under pine trees. As you may already know I had no clue about virus X before so I would just buy what would fill the spot or what looked good.
    Now that I have the damn virus I'm aware and terrified I'll get it in more!!

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

newhostalady, that is exactly what Snow Cap does (which makes it a crap variety). The leaves get extreme cupping and then the edges tear and the variegation melts out. When they are young they show promise and then as they mature the problems set it.

Believe it or not I actually have a couple of these around from when we sold them a really long time ago (before you could get so much info on the internet about these things) and some years they look great but most of the time they don't.

Heck, if I remember I'll take the camera out there to see what they look like this year so you can compare them.

Chris

9 years ago

Chris, I would love to see what a mature Snow Cap looks like! If you have time to snap a picture, that would be wonderful. Then Don and I would get a glimpse of the "future."

Interestingly enough, for a hosta that has been around since 1980, there very few pictures in the Hosta Library. In fact there are only two pictures there showing the entire plant---one immature and one that doesn't look all that mature. I think that just might say it all.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Yup, that about says it - I have a couple old ones but they definitely wouldn't be anything I would call "mature".

9 years ago

Did a bit of googling. Hostas Direct has this description of Snow Cap on their website.

"The cream to yellow margin is streaked on the very dark green center, making the green center resemble an oak leaf. The leaf has good substance, some cupping with slight folding of the tip. In maturity this Hosta seldom looks healthy or attractive. The growth seems to stunt with only one or two leaf displaying after several years, the edges always looking ratty and unpleasant."

Sure doesn't sound like a hosta one would be putting on their wish list!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, sounds like crap. : ) Oh well, someday a more worthy one will take it's place, if it plays out like that. 'Teaser' hostas are a bummer. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Don B.