Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My next order from Hallson's, I am thinking...

Posted by Brandys_garden 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 18:35

Touch of Class and Irish Luck. I am pending 2 sells on Ebay and I am going to spend the money on 2 (actually 3 with the bonus from Hallson's) I will be making the order next week.
I love the look of Irish Luck and it says it's sun and heat tolerant. Something that would be a 'plus' during the summers here in the Ozarks! Plus, it's shiny! And my grandpa is a full blooded Irish boy. So it would pay homage to him!! And his birthday is in July (when I would be ordering it). Does anyone have experience with it or pictures to share. Can they tell me more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My next order from Hallson's, I am thinking...

Brandy, I just put Irish Luck in last year. I'm going to be gone next week but I will try to snap a picture in the morning before I go. . .

o

Irish Luck will get wide - Hallson lists as 48 x 20". Good grower.
Hosta 'Irish Luck' (11)-002

Paul

o

Paul, I know... It actually says 'Medium sized but can get large.' on many of the descriptions. I like the look of it and the shape and texture of the leaves is one that I do not have already.... Thank you for the great pictures!

Thank you Sidney, that would be great!

o

Paul, I know... It actually says 'Medium sized but can get large.' on many of the descriptions. I like the look of it and the shape and texture of the leaves is one that I do not have already.... Thank you for the great pictures!

Thank you Sidney, that would be great!

o

Unfortunately height is used by growers for measuring hosta size - even though we look at how wide a spot we have available. So while I would say Irish Luck is xl/giant in size when I talk about hosta on the forum, growers will list as medium.

Paul

o

OK good to know.... Thanks!!

o

I have decided to go ahead with Irish Luck. I found a good pot like the ones that my Albomarginata and others are in that are larger... Even larger than the next one up that my U. Albo will be going into soon. So I am confident it will be OK and a good addition to my hosta garden. I have spotted 3 spaces for the new hostas (when I order them)... So all I am waiting on now is the auctions on Ebay to close and the payment to transfer and then I will be ordering sometime mid next week! YAY!

o

As a way of comparing Irish Luck with a larger container hosta, I offer this shot. All 3 are the same age, in their second year. All grown in containers.

Fragrant King is huge in comparison. Irish Luck and Candy Dish are more medium sized, SO FAR, and have that dark green shiny leaf with the rippled margins. I like all 3, and have a soft spot for Irish Luck because my DH is "first generation" Irish.
DSCN7725

o

OK Thank you! I figured it would fit in the pots I have for at least a couple of years. I will be ordering it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here