Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Here comes the sun, and I say It's all right

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

The Beatles song sure spells out our winter and spring feelings, but we hit the 80s and the most sun we've seen for a long while. Should see the last of the Hosta getting in gear....June 13 (shakes head).

Northern Exposure - evidently exposed itself a little early, the deer mowed all the pips - so lots of 1/2 leaves till we get another flush

And a Northern Exposure seedling - so happy it added a 2nd division this year. Hope it flowers.

Peter Ruh - someone flipped the margin switch on this one in the last 2 days to 'on'.

Prairie Lightning, a grannynanny registration - margins are starting to darken up.

Pewterware - I'd love to see a mature pic, if someone can share one. Thanks.

Jaz - hoping the sun gets working on this one, it will get shiny and yellow-green.

Warwick Comet - who doesn't love this look

Irish Luck - bought as a single division liner in 2011 and it has never stopped growing. It is going to be an impressive mound very soon. Edges ripple and leaves also have a wave.

On Stage is finally rolling - at this point it looks like chaos, but leaves are incredible.

Dark Shadows - about 1/2 the leaves have matured to the irregular leaf pattern and margins. Saw a couple of these on a tour last year - impressive clumps.

Candy Dish, third year - pretty good growth so far.

Blueberry Muffin, third year also - been a really good grower for me and the color has benefited from our overcast and wet spring.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Here Comes the Sun

Comments (12)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Love the pics! I'm going to have to get "Blueberry Muffin". I've been eyeing that one for a while but I didn't have a space for it.....then I discovered growing hostas in pots!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Lovely hosta, Paul. Thanks for the song, too.

bk

• chris-e
    10 years ago

My daughter's absolute favorite Beatles' song! When I planted my Beatles hosta garden, I planted one hosta specifically for each Beatle. Sun Power is for George who wrote the song.

chris

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Pewterware, a new one to me. Very cute and very blue. I'll have to look it up.

I have sunburned cheeks and half of my garden has been weeded. I'd get all of it but I keep getting distracted by the beautiful garden. Suns up and life is good.

Beverly

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Paul, you have an impressive collection of hostas. How many unique ones do you have?

I sure do miss my Northern Exposure. I bought it after seeing yours.

Gesila

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Always enjoy seeing your Hosta. Keep posting!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

thanks, Paul... you do such a nice job of showing us good pictures of very good hostas.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

All great pics - but there is something about Jaz that is calling me...

I don't have Warwick Comet either and it looks like a 'must have'.

Thanks for sharing!

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, you are giving me some education with your hosta info.
    Like, I had no idea what to expect of my Dark Shadows. I got it from Naylor Creek in 2012, as what I understand is a TC grown on by them for at least a couple of years. So I get it last year.
    And this is the picture I took of it May 2013.

Does it have the irregular dark pattern you refer to in a MATURE PLANT. I'm getting a thought in my head, put there by someone also along the I-10 corridor, that maybe our climate can act on the maturation rate of hosta. It is something to think about, if we get regular indicators of maturity. But we have to know the exact age of the plant we're discussing.
    Which I don't know exactly.

So what you say about the irregular streaks being a mark of a mature leaf, it perked my ears.

Does my hosta look mature to you? Other than being still freshly leafed out and not toughened up to the heat yet.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for taking a look and the great comments.

Gesila, I'm around 550 and my rate of adding is slowing drastically, in fact gave two to my MIL that I don't have. Added a few streakers over the last couple of years, but most are too small to flower yet.

ConnieMay, here's a pic of a Jaz that caught my attention on a tour of Rick Rock's garden. Something a bit different with all the smooth shiny leaves.

Pal

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Wow, that's one of the nicest Jaz I've seen! Jaz's leaves are thick and shiny. It's a cross of 'Sum and Substance' x yingeri, so you know I have it in my collection.

Gesila

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moc, here's a pic of Dark Shadows from a tour garden last year. What do you think? Pattern reminds me of an Earth Angel from the dark side.

Paul