Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Most Improved

mosswitch
10 years ago

I would have to say the Most Improved hosta in my garden this year, so far, has to be Childhood Fantasy. At least, it's the one that has grown the most in size. From one dinky eye three years ago to this, almost 30" across. It's starting to get some ripples, maybe next year we'll see some signs of maturity and more blue.

What's your Most Improved this year?

Sandy

Comments (14)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sandy, I will have to say my 'Blue Hawaii'. Not that it was doing poorly last year, but to go from 15 eyes to 46 eyes in a season seems like amazing growth to me.

Regards,
    Don B.

• LRB3
    10 years ago

My most improved is Atlantis. It really jumped this year.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Has to be Blazing saddles. I just planted it last year,and this year it has almost tripled in size from a medium sized,narrow-leafed plant to a wide leafed plant of large size. I've never seen a plant grow so fast! Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice-looking plants.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, wow, love that plant you have! Blazing Saddles? I could have ordered it, I passed it up, mistake apparently.....yours is gorgeous.

But, uhhh, I have a lot of them looking good, Awww, just ONE?
    Well, I guess I'd say Avocado. I'd say Sagae as well, but it looked good from the start, not such a big improvement from last year. However, Avocado is the only other hosta, besides Sagae, that DH asked to know its name. It was just another pretty green fragrant hosta, but no more. It's definitely looking more grown up already. Would you believe, it was a bonus plant from Hallson? So proud of it.

This spring. Avocado with Aphrodite

And how it looked last year with Holy Mole on the left, and Adorable on the right. Nice, but not the muscle man that Holy Mole appeared to be.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Mocc,that Blazing Saddles expanded even more from what the pic shows. It's even bigger now! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Must love the spot then. Happy hosta you have on your hands. Blazing Saddles goes back on my short list, don't think I've seen even a picture of another that is that impressive.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

I almost said Whirlwind, which started off last year with seven puny leaves, but I think I'll nominate Pineapple Punch instead, because at least Whirlwind, though small, was nice to look at.

Meanwhile, why did I even bother picking this up last June?

I think I was just desperate for a lance-shaped leaf, because I certainly wasn't expecting this show this season:

• User
    10 years ago

Thought for sure your Pineapple Punch was related to Fruit Punch, which I have. It doesn't look like much now, but take a look at the HL photos, it is a sunshine yellow I am hoping mine lives. It is a lanceolate leaf as well.

And while you're at it, look up The Razor's Edge....one of the ones I will always replace.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Looks like FP rounds out and ripples tremendously. I like the color a lot. And RE looks like something I can squeeze in somewhere if I find it! You said "replace." Is it tough to grow?

• User
    10 years ago

Not hard to grow at all......it was gorgeous up to the day it died.
    And that is when I encountered southern blight. Took about 30 hours I guess start to totally consumed. The Razor's Edge was the only one I lost to southern blight. It was in a spot in my garden where air seems to stagnate in the afternoons. The humidity was high, nothing stirring, hot....and next day my gorgeous plant was a wilted cooked MESS. What a sad day. I'd purchased a perfect pot from Arizona Pottery to plant it in. Now I am waiting for the replacement to look like I remember the blighted one.

Plus, I learned to help keep air circulating and keep things draining quickly and watch for diseases waiting for the first sign of weakness. Incubating disaster otherwise. Maybe having an electrical circuit to run a fan to promote air flow is a justifiable necessity.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Wow WW, PP sure did grow!

Sandy, I looked up Childhood Fantasy in the HL and that is sure going to be a beautiful hosta! I can't wait to watch yours grow!

Don, I can't even talk about Blue Hawaii. I just found out my huge BH isn't BH after all. It almost brought me to tears! Now I have a giant blue NOID! I just got a real BH, your's leaping to 46 eyes gives me hope!

Phil, my Blazing Saddles is so flat. I like the shape of yours.

Moc, your Holy Mole is going to catch up with mine! Mine is one of the few I bought in 2010.

My most improved would be Summer Lovin. I almost got rid of this one last year. Am so glad I didn't. It's front and center in this bed, right where it deserves to be!

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

I say, Gesila! That Summer Luvin is a knockout.
    Never saw one with the kind of yellow margins it has. And two tones of green? Really, some of the leaves look like a pouffy duvet. Color and pattern on the leaves are perfect.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Blue Angel - Purchased in 2011 is now over 3 ft. wide