Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavenderlver

Please 'splain

lavenderlver
11 years ago

When I planted my Guacamole (3 eyes, 15"W plant), there was a tiny 3 leaf baby kind of growing off the side of momma. I gingerly broke off baby and planted her. A few weeks later, she is looking nothing like momma.

Is there any chance baby will be something other than a Guac?

Comments (18)

• dray67
    11 years ago

Could be just young Imature leaves or a seeding in the pot from something else. Enjoy the adventure and wait and see.
    Dave

• User
    11 years ago

I'd love to see pictures of both. How about it?
    Share the adventure? :)

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may have misspoke :(, the baby is bearing a slight resemblance to mom. I think Dave was unfortunately right in that the leaves are still immature.

Thank you for your interest though and sorry for the false alarm!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

You say you broke it off? If it was attached to Mama, it was another eye coming up. Did it have seperate roots of its own, or did you plant it with just a piece of crown attached to the bottom? Curious.

-Babka

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

From such sometimes come 'Sports'.

Or just immature, time will tell . . .

hh

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was a separate mini plant, but the roots were part of momma, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure what you mean by a piece of crown attached to the bottom - might have been that. Can you tell I'm new at hostas?

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

I dunno' is this helps but my Guacamole plants, TC's bought last summer, all look like Halcyon. They were purchased from two different vendors so I'm certain that they can't all be mislabeled Halcyons.

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

Halcyon is powdery blue with a waxy coating, medium size, pointed leaves. Guac is variegated, more rounded leaves, when mature.

That's a pretty big difference.

Can you post some pics?

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

lavenderlver - you asked for someone to 'splain' about hostas sooooo - : this may not be botonically correct, but let me try to explain hostas in a Readers Digest version.

The "Crown" normally is everything on a plant but the root system and is above the ground. But consider a hosta like an aluminum can made ready for recycling. On most plants their crowns consist of stems or trunks, brrances, leaves, blossoms etc. The stems or trunks have nodes towards the top that grow leaves and flowering parts, and nodes below where it is contact with the soil that grow roots. but hostas are like a stomped aluminum can. The nodes at the top of the flattened crown, at roughly the soil level are pips that are referred to as eyes and grow the hostas leaves on stems called petiole, and flowers on stems called scapes. On the flattened underside of the crown nodes sprout roots.

Remember, crowns usually are above ground. Hosta crowns burried too deep into the soil have a tendency to rot because of the lack of air. That is why hostas grow best in light airy soil rather than compact clay soil.

I am sure I could get hammered for my explanations lack of technicality, but it is generally true and the most easy to understand in just a few words. I think!

Les

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the help Les, appreciate it! Lack of technicality works for me :)

ci_lantro, mom is definately Guac, baby's leaves were longer, thinner and pointed, but now seem to have rounded out.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

You're welcome: for what it is worth from someone who can't even type "botanically" correctly (oops!)

Les

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Wow-I just reread what I'd posted at the wee hours of the morning and it is full of typo and spelling errors. And an important ommission.

Just as trunks and stems of some perrenials grow thicker year after year, the crown of a hosta grows wider (thicker) also. Around the edges of the crown, nodes enable this expansion developing both eyes AND needed roots to support the crown, some faster than others. When well-developed these can be removed from the "mother" plant and cultivated to develop into seperate hosta plants.

Most hostas grow from a single flattened trunk that way, but a few grow more like shrubs where expansion is through developing seperate semi-detached crowns, or stolons.

Les

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Melissa, I've been trying to figure out how to post a photo...complete novice.

So far, I've managed to take the pix, transfer it to my computer and, from there, to Photobucket. When I try to post it, no work.

Anyway, I'll keep trying and will post a separate thread because, with closer examination, No Way can my 'Guacs' be 'Guacamole'. Leaf substance is a little more substansial even than Halcyon. Side by side, the TC NOIDS, while being definitely blue, are a couple of touches 'greener' than Halcyon. Very similar leaf shape to Halcyon. Also, excellent growth rate; that alone means they can't be Halcyon or a close relative.

What's so totally weird is that these mystery NOIDS came from two different sources, are almost certainly the same hosta and are, I'm almost 100% convinced, NOT Guacamole.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

ci_lantro

When you are on Photobucket, just copy the information in the HTML box and paste it in the Message box on GW. You should have two tabs open to do this.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post a picture using Photobucket

• lavenderlver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Les!

ci_lantro, would love to see your Halcyon, FKA Guacamole.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Trying again.

The suspect Guacs are in the white pot & the clay pot with Halcyon in the center. As you can see, they're different sizes, bought at different times & from different sources.

The Big Question is what the devil are they since they're apparently not Guacamole.

And, no, I'm not confused. I specifically wanted & ordered Guac for a specific bed along the foundation next to the back door where I have Royal Standard...hoping for the fragrance to waft thru open windows above the bed.

(I'm so excited about getting this photo thing to work! Lookout Hosta Forum for when I have ten minutes to spare, pending getting caught up on yard work!!)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Ci_lantro,

How much sun do you have those plants in? The one in the white pot could be Guacamole, but it hasn't colored up yet. The leaf shape is OK for a young plant. I would leave that one in a little more sun and see if you see any variegation. The variegation on Guacamole can be subtle based on the amount of sun. The other darker one (I assume this is the one you broke off) is probably Fried Green Tomatoes the all green version of Guac. You are just going to have to let them grow to find out. Remember immature plants do not always look like the grown up versions. If they have fragrant flowers then you know they are part of the plantaginea family, as both Guacamole and FGT are.

BTW good work with the pics. Text and everything.

Steve

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Steve, I 'discovered' that I have a more mature Guacamole...musta' been a bonus plant. Anyway, these mystery TC's---their leaf texture has much more substance than the for sure Guac, a tad more leathery than even Halcyon. So that's making me think they're not even in the Guacamole 'family', so to speak.

As to sun exposure--a fair amount of mid-late afternoon sun up until I potted them up last weed. Now they're getting dappled morning to noonish light. I have an excess of these plants so I'll try moving one to a spot where it gets a big dose of 'shine.

Anyway, agreed that they're gonna' have to grow up some & then perhaps they've reveal themselves for what they truly are.