Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishow

What is it?

chris-e
12 years ago

While working in the garden yesterday, I dug up what is supposed to be my Striptease. It is big, healthy and was perfect in that spot. Why did I dig it? Out of 18 eyes, 4 are Striptease. The rest is a plain medium green plant in the same size and shape of Striptease.

The Hostepida says Striptease is a sport of Gold Standard but this looks nothing like that. So what do I have? One of the other billions of sports of Gold Standard or what? This is the first time I have found a reverse or sport in my plants and I am curious.

Chris

Comments (17)

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

As I read just now, about half of all new hostas are sports. One on the list of progeny for Striptease on the Hosta Library might match your green leaves.

I have found now 2, perhaps 3 reverses or sports on my plants. I have a Titanic with one yellow eye now for the second year which might be S&S, but I have two S&S already, so I probably will cut out that eye. I have one Journey's End with 5 eyes, two of which are greenish yellow now with the same piecrust, might be a reverse ChooChoo Train, will divide those 2 out and plant them. My Antioch has 2 eyes which have several leaves with a narrow green center, need to watch this to next year, there is already one progeny named for in the Hosta Library.
    Good luck!
    Bernd

• tepelus
    12 years ago

My Striptease has an all green eye right in the middle of the clump, hard to get at unless I wrangle with the whole clump, so I'm leaving it for now.

Karen

• fayemo
    12 years ago

I was just going online to read more about sports when I read your post and those following. I have a fabulous mature Hosta JUNE - and today I noticed that some of her leaves are plain blue and some sporting to blue on one side of the mid vein with a pattern on the other side of the mid vein. I do not want to lose this beautiful hosta as she is but I do not know what the choices are. Help from the experts would be appreciated.

• chris-e
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fayemo, now that you mention it, I think one of my Junes (I have all three and all are different) has some all blue leaves on it. I will have to look in that section of the garden tomorrow.

chris

• Gesila
    12 years ago

I've seen tons of Junes in nurseries this year with solid blue leaves. Same with solid green eyes on Independence.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Bernd - I have a sport on my striptease which is the same as described by Chris. When you say to check out the HL for progeny do you mean the Hugo Data screen? This lists over 30 progeny, so would the next step be to check out the photos in the HL to see if any match? I haven't done this but would guess the listed progeny exhibit some desireable trait and my sport is just "ordinary" plain green that may be a common occurence with many hostas. Am I on the right track here? I can't seem to find much that synthesizes sport/reversion information in hostas.

• kimcoco
    12 years ago

Ditto what Fayemo said.

I purchased a plant for my MIL, a variegated form, and there is a solid green sport in the same pot. Do we divide this?

• tomahawkclaim
    12 years ago

I'm sorry none of the experts have chimed in about this post. Let's still hope for them, but in the meantime . . .

1. When a wonderful plant throws a plain green eye, the easiest thing to do is cut out that green eye. With luck, the root stock for that eye will wither and die.

2. When you have a plant that throws an interesting sport, you have a couple options: 1. Use the Van Wade method which is cutting off all the leaves except the sport and let the sport grow (an especially easy solution if the hosta that has thrown the sport is boring or if you have multiple copies of it planted elsewhere in your garden). Alternatively, you can dig and divide, obviously, a much harder solution.

I've found that sports one year often disappear the next, so I always just watch them the first year and make a note to check them out the second year. I've only ever had two that survived more than one year. Nance

• ademink
    12 years ago

I believe that most often, when a variegated plant starts going "all green''...it is called a reversion, not a sport. Might be wrong...but I think that's right...it's been a while since I've discussed this topic and I forget a lot lol

• hostasrgreat
    12 years ago

There are several examples of reversion I have seen in the garden this spring. Not sure what is unique about the year or if its a natural process. My list is:

1. June. I recently divided the June I purchased into two plants, one, June and the second, the all blue version which I assume is Halcyon.
    2. Striptease and Kiwi Full Monty. The reversion is not appealing, at least to me. I cut the leaves out with a scissors.
    3. Savannah Supreme. I get the all green form, which I believe is called Savannah Emerald. I split Emerald off but I'm loosing the battle to keep Supreme; my plant is more green than streaked.
    4. Platinum Tiara. I have the all gold version. Not sure if this is an attractive plant or if it has a 'given' name.

• buckeye15
    12 years ago

H. 'Striptease' sported from H. 'Gold Standard'. 'Gold Standard' sported from H. 'Fortunei Hyacinthina'. Therefore, the all green reversion/sport of 'Striptease' should be very similar to, if not the same as 'Fortunei Hyacinthina'.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

squirejohn, I am no expert. I went into myhosta.net database in 'progeny' for my Antioch and found the more suitable description of a sport.
    In the mean time I went to my Titanic and cut off the yellow S&S type leaves (a reversion). I also went to my Journey's End, and with a long sharp knife cut through the crown behind the two reversion eyes (Choo Choo Train) until I got into dirt. In a few weeks I will lift that 2 eye plant out and plant it somewhere. That work was like delicate surgery. In the past I gave parts of large hostas away or dividing hostas for my own use after using a sharpened spade.
    Bernd

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information - that explains a lot of what I was wondering about.

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

I agree with buckeye that the solid green Striptease is basically just going all the way back to Hyacinthina.

A reversion is when a sport goes back to the parent plant. That doesn't mean it has gone to a solid color, but most people make that mistake and call solid colored sports "reversions". That is incorrect. A reversion is when a sport goes back to the original plant that it sported from. So June is a sport of Halcyon and most solid blue sports from June are just reversions back to Halcyon. But Striptease is a sport from Gold Standard so a reversion would be when a part goes back to looking like Gold Standard.

The other thing to note is that only sports can revert and if a plant is a hybrid then it can only sport.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    12 years ago

Thanks Chris - Let's see if I fully understand the accurate definition of "reversion"

In the case above where Striptease reverted to a solid green (similar/same as 'Fortuei Hyacinthina') it is not a technical "reversion" since it is not the same as Gold Standard which sported Striptease.

Another example - At a nursury last week there was a large display hosta with a tag that said " a reversion of Reversed". A few of the leaves were that of Reversed but most were solid black-green in color. Since Reversed is the progeny of Splish Splash, which is a hybrid of another pair of hybrids, all of which are streaked, that the black-green solid leaf of Reversed is actually a sport even though it's a solid color unless it went "back to" a similar solid leaf hosta beyond the three generations I looked at. In any case it is not a technical "reversion" since it doesn't resemble Splish Splash. Did I get it right?

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Hostasrgreat, Platinum Tiara is a sport of the all yellow Golden Scepter.

• chris-e
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for answering everyone! Buckeye and Ctopher, you guys are right! Th plant I separated and potted up looks just like
    'Fortunei Hyacinthina'. I needed to do a little more research.

This must be the season for strange things happening from what I have read from all of you and my own experience. I also have all blue leaves in June. I have half-white leaves on Captain Kirk and Golden Friendship has grown two leaves with large white swishes on them.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus