Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

You're not going to believe this!

bkay2000
9 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, I REALLY wanted a large Manhattan. I emailed a couple of folks who said they didn't have it. I called Jeff at LOTG. He said he had one with 10 eyes that he would sell me for X dollars. I thanked him for looking, but said that my hosta budget would not allow that.

Around the same time, I ordered 2 LS Cindy Cee's from LOTG via the web. Guess what I got for the bonus plant?

Yes, you guessed it. He sent me a HUGE Manhattan. Look at this!

The one in the back is Manhattan.

The one in the back is Manhattan.

I was so excited, I had to share.

bk

Comments (25)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Wow! That was really nice of him! What a great guy!

Linda

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Wow. That is some Manhattan. And so nice of him! I think I need to make an order with LOTG.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Looks like you hit the hosta lottery BK! Congratulations!

Gesila

• coll_123
    9 years ago

That is awesome! Congrats!!

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Awesome! (Oops, I'm letting my Millennial-ness show)

I've been wanting to order from them for some time now, and your post just drove me to their site. Ah, decisions...

• Lee
    9 years ago

Congrats Bk!!!!
    And I want L Cindy Cee!!!!! Lol!!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

WooooooooooHooooooooo! I haven't ordered from them before, but that super act of thoughtfulness puts them way up on my hosta sellers list. Go celebrate!

-Babka

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Congrat BK! What a nice surprise!

I have ordered a few time from LOTG. Jeff has been very responsible. Plants are nice with good roots from mature divisions and grow well next year. Overall a nice person also trying to meet customer's needs.

Vivian

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

That was a really nice thing to do, good karma.

Denis

• Delphinium zone5
    9 years ago

Wow I agree that was a really nice thing for him to do. Next order I send out will be through them!

Terri

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Sweet baby Hosta !

What are the odds? ;)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I'd love to know what LOTG is. I don't mind abbreviations, but please give the full name once for those of us not in-the-know. Thanks!

Babs

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Living in Canada, I'm not able to purchase from the States, but that's fabulous customer service!
    It's really exciting when an order arrives and you're left feeling thrilled! Enjoy your new acquisitions - I'm envious!
    BC

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I am also in Canada and cannot order from the States. Some of the plants that you, in the US receive, are marvellous.

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, I can feel how bright your smile is all the way in Alabama. Congratulations on your outstanding Manhattan. What a great hosta to receive as a GIFT! Holy cow!

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    9 years ago

Babs,
    LOTG = Land of the Giants

I'd provide a link but I think it is against the Gardenweb rules.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Bkay, I'm so happy for you! The impact of that thoughtful act has been felt by so many of us - like Denis said, Good Karma! Thanks for sharing it. Every time you look at Manhattan I'm sure you'll smile. Congratulations!

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babs, it's landofthegiantshostafarm.com.

Like everyone has already said, he's made a lifelong customer out of me.

You wouldn't believe the leaves on the Lakeside Cindy Cee. They are huge. It's supposed to be a medium. I told the DH, "This is Texas, they won't be that big next year".

bk

• User
    9 years ago

LOTG is on the main page of HostaLibrary, so you'll have no trouble finding it.

No, BKAy, it won't be THAT big next year, it will be BIGGER.
    You grow em nice. Hope Cleo is weaned off hosta by now. :)

My order from LOTG is "in the mail" so to speak. It is coming via UPS, supposed to be here today. I'm waiting....taptaptaptap...patiently. Very glad it's been overcast for a few days, to keep them from dying in transit.

Another order for crab shells 50 lb bag is late arriving, the replacement for the LOST one previously shipped via FedEx by Amazon. And IT is late too. DH told me there was a strike by FedEx workers, about minimum wage. I don't blame them. They need a living wage, but I need my crab shells. Let Amazon use another carrier until that is settled. Quite possible that I wind up with 100 lbs of crushed crab shells one of these days. Most aromatic garden in Mobile. Probably over ride the smell of meth cooking next door. :/

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPS kept mine over the weekend. They really dried out. I've been going out about every 6 hours and misting them, on top and bottom of the leaves trying to get them to take up some water. I suppose I should have soaked them, but didn't think of it.

The leaves on LS Cindy Cee are probalby 12 X 9. Those are as large as my Sum and Substance.

Amazon uses the USPS here, mostly. They even deliver on Sunday. There is a major warehouse here (DFW somewhere), so even UPS comes the next day.

Meth cooking next door? Those things can blow up, or so I've heard.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 13:20

• Delphinium zone5
    9 years ago

Wow I agree that was a really nice thing for him to do. Next order I send out will be through them!

Terri

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I've found that hosta people are generally some do the nicest folks around! That was a very generous bonus plant indeed ðÂÂÂ

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

I agree Good Karma! They will get an order from me, too.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Very Happy for you!

• User
    9 years ago

BK, if these 3 are the ones you just potted up and they are limp of leaf?

The tall LS Cindy Cee will sure enough need the stakes. I answered you in the other thread.