Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irawon

Who says 'Orange Marmalade' is difficult to grow?

irawon
10 years ago

I was at Don Budd's private hosta garden today. His OM was humungous, probably 4 feet across.

Comments (21)

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I loved his 'Dream Weaver'

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked him if his 'Teaspoon' knew it was supposed to be a mini.

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

His 'Queen of the Seas' was to die for.

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

His 'Arc de Triomphe' is magnificent

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! My OM was pretty too, until I decided to move it, unfortunately just before we had a summer of drought. Pooey. It got smaller and smaller over two years of drought and I finally got a replacement.

The original is still alive and trying, tho not much bigger than a seedling now. I moved it to a more protected spot and it is getting new leaves.

The new one is doing fine but this is only its first spring in my garden as I got it late last summer.

Sandy

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants, beautiful pictures, extreme hosta envy. Thanks for sharing them!

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wanted to take his 'Brave Amherst" home

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those who like 'Spilt Milk'

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thi 'Lederhosen' was huge

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took this picture for our pot ladies: Moc, Bkay, Babka, Mctavish et al. The hosta on the right is 'Hudson Bay'.
    Some of Don's hostas are 25 years old. After the initial bed preparation with good top soil he says he doesn't fertilize much but he does water, water, water. I had a very enjoyable afternoon and I wanted to share the magnificence of his gardens.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Beautiful hostas.

IMO, Orange Marmalade and Dream Weaver at maturity in pics above look like Paul's Glory and Great Expectation and less like their sports. If I were IDing the first two pics I would have guessed Paul's Glory and GE (edited).

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 21:09

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Wow, all the plants are beautiful and I will admit that I am a bit envious too :)

Love the Queen of the Seas but then again they all look so perfect! Thanks for the tour!

Linda

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for looking.

Mosswitch, my Orange Marmalade was struggling this spring as well. I think it was last summer's drought and tree root competition, which were to blame. I've moved it to an intensive care spot. I had no idea it could get so large.

Paul, I was told those are 'Orange Marmalade' and 'Dream Weaver'. Don is in the hosta business here in Ottawa. He owns Budd Gardens. The lower leaves on OM had that deeper orangy colour. Don't forget it's still early in the season and OM is in a shady spot.

I wish I'd taken more pictures but I wanted to focus on enjoying the hostas. So many of them were huge, mature clumps. I had only one hosta that was bigger than his and that was 'Little Miss Sunshine' but that's because he only planted his last year.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Irawon, Sorry if I wasn't clear - I'm not questioning what they are - but rather observing that at maturity the pics of these two sports(Dream Weaver and Orange Marmalade) lost most of their distinction from the original plants they came from (Great Expectations and Paul's Glory).

Paul

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a really interesting observation, Paul. I understand what you mean now.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I almost wish that I lived closer to Ottawa, just so I could visit his gardens! Thanks for sharing the photos.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Wow, talk about nice plants, nicely grown. Thanks for taking the time.

tj

• irawon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I will take the time to make another visit and take more pictures because Don Budd's hostas are mature and better than I've ever seen.

• User
    10 years ago

I already printed out the picture of his pergola so my DH would know what I want done....just not quite as deep, our space is not that big. I want it to be a barrier for the western sun of a late summer afternoon, while supplying the 4th side of a courtyard bound by our back deck, DH's shed, and my Teahouse. The Back40, behind this pergola, would be entered through a Stargate, into another world. A world of hosta. When I enter it is at least 10-15 degrees cooler than elsewhere in the whole garden, quieter, and it is magical. I think it deserves a nice pergola.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh, Mocc, there you go! Now that sounds awesome...

Don B.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Wow, just amazing and beautiful specimens. I can't get over how full teaspoon is, of all things!! Mine is in full shade and although not "mini", it sure isn't that lush and dense.