Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

My Visit to Venero Gardens

paul_in_mn
14 years ago

I mentioned a new garden (new to me - 10 yrs old) that I had been meaning to visit in far western burbs of Minneapolis (MN) - Venero Gardens and Nursery in Shorewood. Just west of Excelsior off Hwy 7.

Website noted I needed to call for appt - found out the city put in those restrictions since they are located in a neighborhood with no on-street parking.

Very nice display gardens and selection - most hosta are dug and potted as you order - so a bit different from pulling pots from tables. They do mail-order hosta.

Newer hosta you'll probably get a division, while older or faster growing you'll get more. Hosta selection was very good - I did not go away empty handed. Price was very comparable to other good mail order. List shows about 360 different hosta.

Picked up 11 hosta (7 on my list) and a primula. Have my eye on a couple of non-hosta shade plants for a future visit.

{{gwi:1040675}}

{{gwi:1040676}}

{{gwi:1040677}}

Worth a visit - link to website below.

Anyone familiar with Venero?

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Venero Gardens

Comments (12)

• Janice
    14 years ago

NICE, Paul!!! I wonder, when they dug them for you, did they use the same shovel (or whatever tool
    they used) for all the hosta you purchased? I'm so concerned about HVX that I have to ask!!!

Looks like you got some real beauties there!!!

Janice

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

I love going to Venero Gardens. It's one of my favorites, though it's over an hour drive to get there. I never go away empty handed. I can't speak to whether or not they use the same shovel, but I know that they are quite aware of HVX and supplied a large number of the hostas for Dr. Lockhart's use in his study at the U of MN.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janice, link on their site talks about their efforts regarding HVX - facility is immaculate. I believe they were on nat'l garden tours in past, there was a marker in the hosta nursery.

Paul

• Janice
    14 years ago

Great to hear, Paul! You are so fortunate to have such a 'source' within reach!
    Do you think their mail-order digs will be as generous as their on site offerings?
    I guess that would be hard for you to know unless you have purchased from them
    via their website!!

I'm very tempted!! You're doing a great job of ENABLING, Paul!! (:oP

• groentje
    14 years ago

Oooh, Paul, i have to stop reading your posts! Now i want
    Lucy Vitols and Popcorn. Where does this end?

• Janice
    14 years ago

groentje -- it doesn't until 'we' are planted, I'm afraid!!!

BTW--('greenhorn'?) where, in the Netherlands, do you live--if I may ask? We love your country--spent most of 1992
    in Oldenzaal, and still have friends there we keep in touch with and have come to visit us!!

Tot ziens!! :o)

• loisflan
    14 years ago

Thanks, Paul, for the great report on Venero Gardens. I'll have to put it on my list of things to do as soon as I get the garden for my 12 new hostas established. I just ordered Popcorn, Sea Gulf Stream and Blue Hawaii last night from Naylor's. "When does this end?" is right! Hallson's sent their order out already, so I'll have to pot the hostas temporarily until I get their permanent homes ready. Sounds like I've got a lot of work to do this week.

• sidney1515
    14 years ago

Paul. . I have been mail ordering form Venero for four or five years. I find them accommodating, very nice and efficient to deal with. Their shipment always arrives is the best of order.

You will LOVE your Victory. . .by far one of the nicest I own. Mine was planted in 2005 and it is eight and a half feet across and 38 inches high! I love it!

Paul. . I WANT your Lucy Vitrols. . . .I had very nicely been ignoring temptation until now. . Now you've gone and corrupted me. . .lol

Nice haul fella!

• Janice
    14 years ago

Doggone it, Sidney--now I've succumbed to temptation, as well!!!
    I was looking for a reason not to place an order with these folks!!!

BTW--have you seen the hosta 'Temptation'?
    I'm finding it one I will eventually want to get,
    of course!!! Isn't that what 'temptation' is for,
    to get us to cave!!!

• thisismelissa
    14 years ago

4 words
    I AM SO THERE!

More words:
    a dozen from my wish list!

• jel48
    14 years ago

Beautiful haul, Paul! groentje, I'm with you on Popcorn and Lucy Vitols. They are both real eye-catchers!

• Mary4b
    14 years ago

Very nice finds, Paul. Luckily, I do get over to Chaska, MN fairly often, so I am thrilled to find out about Venero Gardens in Excelsior! Can't wait to get there! :)
    Popcorn is so cute, I almost got that one at Hallson Gardens last month, now I'm sorry I didn't! Mary