Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Winter forced hostas

mosswitch
10 years ago

Somebody asked something a while back about hostas that had been forced in the winter, I forget just what the question was, maybe about buying them.I may have chimed into that saying that I had done it before, and they were fine.

Well! Let me share what happened this year, with the strange weather and all. The nursery that grew them for a lawn and garden show in February had been forcing them all winter. I had bought four of them in late February at our hosta society auction, in full beautiful growth, as I have done before, kept them indoors until April when I felt it was finally safe to put them in the ground. They were still pretty and perky. Shortly thereafter, we had more cool weather, then a couple of almost-freezing nights, Two of them, Rubies Ruffles, and Silver Bay, started to go downhill. I was a bit distressed but figured they would perk up again when it warmed up. Then snow the first of May, and that did it. They lost every leaf.

But when I examined them, expecting to see the crowns turned to mush, I discovered nice, fat eyes poking up--the darn things had gone dormant!

Ok, now what? Are they going to sit there all summer and next winter before they leaf out again? I kept an eye on them, and now with summer finally settling in and 90 degree days, Ruby Ruffles has begun unfurling, with Silver Bay not far behind, just as if it were spring.

So a long winter of being forced, uncommonly cool weather that fooled them into thinking it was fall, and dormancy set in.

Funny thing was, the other two didn't do that, and look just fine, even got a new flush of growth.

So there you are, the tale of what can happen to hostas forced in the winter.

Sandy

Comments (6)