Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

H. 'Queen of the Seas'

I am so glad I paid extra to get a bigger plant last year!!!

What does your Queen of the Seas look like right now? I don't care how young it is (mine is new 2013), please show it off. I can't get enough of this beauty!

Mine is still putting out leaves so by the time it settles down, it should be even more lovely. I was going to shake off all the honeysuckle flowers but didn't want to interrupt too long - the bees were so buzzzzy, it was wonderful to see, not to mention the sweet scent in accompaniment.

Comments (20)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

She is a lovely lady - all puckers and ruffles - bigger is better!

DD

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for looking, DD! She sure is? Have you got one by any chance in your lovely gardens?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Jo, it's beautiful.

Mine came back from dormant eyes, so will be small and ugly for a while. I hope it thrives. It's a Mildred Seaver hosta. I don't think I have many of hers, so hope it comes back.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Jo , I have one on order from Hosta Choice but Glenn has been having some medical issues and also his dad is very sick so who knows when I will get my order but hoping it is soon. Yours is a real beauty!

• User
    9 years ago

Your QOTS is beautiful. Nice to have the option for an advanced hosta, saves a lot of stressing over it. It's all about getting what makes you happy. I skip the liners for that reason. At my age, I cannot stand around and watch paint dry! And you now have one to make your garden proud.

Here is my somewhat backward hosta, I got it from Jims online auction in May 2012. First picture is July 2012

Here it is April 2014, not doing so well, even after I gave her a special blue/black pot too. Here she is up front on the right. I think she is shrinking. She doesn't like it here.

Back in

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

Here's mine, a teenager

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I got mine in 2008 when it was available. I first fell in love with it after seeing a single leaf on a First look slide show. I saved that photo and waited until she was available online.

Got this one in 2008 from Naylor Creek. It was one eye. This year it is very crowded in a 3 gal. pot (which is my limit) and so the leaves are smaller. I will cut her up next spring. Here is the 2013 photo. Nowhere near the corrugation that other pics show.

We must have had a warm day that melted her bloom on a few leaves. Blues normally stay blue here all season.

-Babka
    {{gwi:1040700}}

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Here's mine Jo. I got in 2012. I also got another in 2013. Mine doesn't look as full or tight as yours and the others, but I like it very much. I just planted it in ground a week ago in a spin out bag.

Yours is looking very pretty and healthy.

This post was edited by newhostalady on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 1:10

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay, it was your influence that made me buy a bigger one. Anything you posted was rarely "small" and really stood out. So thank you for that.

I really hope your Queen picks up and does you proud.

I too, like Mildred Seaver's hostas, Spilt Milk died on me over winter and I replaced her in my first run to Hosta Fever! Basically anything with the name Sea would be one of hers and no doubt, spectacular! :-)

Faye, thank you! I really hope you get yours soon. I think Paula (Ontario) mentioned they weren't shipping for awhile. Now that I understand why, Is there anything I can do to help you get one if you NEED it sooner? :;)

Mocc, thank you - our girl likes her shade, I've discovered. And in your pic it looks like a shady locale because of all the blues, right?

She turned more green after I brought her home last year because I had her in a good amount of sun. This year she is in against the fence, under protection of some honeysuckle canopy with dappled sunlight all morning, then full on setting sun, and is also getting water steadily. She is really responding well to her new location. She is in a large thick tree pot (I recycle a lot) with side drainage, immersed into the garden bed halfway down.

Yagd, your teenager is well on its way, isn't it? The leaves are already so large. Mine were skinnier last year but are getting broader. I love any shade of blue.

Babka, yours is such a pretty "ladylike" looking hosta! Mine has more of the rugose appearance on some of the leaves that, in comparison to yours, gives mine a "rougher" appearance to your "elegant" one. Both beauties nonetheless! I love the colour palette you have made with your grouping.

NHL, thank you! ;-) now that is a gorgeous powder blue on your Queen! She stands out very easily, doesn't she? I think not too many of us can resist pie crust or wavy hostas, no matter what colour!

Generally speaking, when this hosta first emerged it was green with absolutely no hint of blue anywhere, nor the piecrusting. Then, once it started to turn, it happened quickly. I'm including a pic of earlier in May.

I hope Coll posts her pic if she sees this thread. She has a "regal" specimen of a Queen of the Seas that I remember seeing last year. That was it for me - I had to have one. No doubt it'll be bigger and even more beautiful yet this year.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Jo, your QOTS is gonna be huge in no time. I also like to start with bigger plants, given the choice.

I don't have a pic of mine from this year yet- its one of the ones that is lagging behind. Here is a pic from last year. This is in quite a bit of shade so it keeps the blue well.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Here's my contribution. I took the picture yesterday evening.

Karen

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Sorry - no pic. My 'Queen' is looking amazing this year and even this early is significantly larger than 'Krossa Regal' growing a few feet away. It's nearly a mirror image to the one posted above by coll_123. I received my plant in an exchange with a GW friend in the midwest: hostas for daylilies. I failed to do my homework, assuming QOTS would grow to a medium size. Some site adjustment is in my future--I failed to give it sufficient space.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Those are some gorgeous QOS. Mine is from Naylor in 2012. It has grown quite well. Here it is now.

I always buy larger when I can. I'll pass over one I really want if it is too small, and get a BIG hosta further down on my list. I have no patience! That being said, it can be amazing how fast they grow if given good conditions and lots of water!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for catching this thread, Coll! :-). There it is! Another "red carpet" attendee, lol. What a fabulous specimen! I hope it continues to delight you this year!

Karen, yours has some rounder leaves, as has Babka's and Jagd as well. The difference is not significant but subtle, as is the shade of blue - this hosta definitely has presence and the difference in leaf colour and texture in your picture is lovely to behold.

Garden weed, mine is situated to the right of an established KR as well with a red peony as companion to its left and a deep pink astilbe to its right. There is also a purple Siberian iris that will bloom at same time as the peony. It was a pretty sight last year and now with the Queen there as well sharing space, well...I'm looking forward to a great pic! I think it has enough space allotted for growth. I'd like to plant it there but I discovered neighbour's red maple roots there last year so for now it will continue to grow in a pot.

Hosta hosta, oh my, you have a leading lady there too and she looks so pretty in her surroundings.

I didn't expect such rapid growth - she will give Sagae some competition! He's just around the corner from her. I'm curious as to the height it will achieve this year. I want to ensure she is not sitting down too low.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

QOTS was my first mail order hosta, which I got as a two eyed plant from hallsons, as I recall, in 2007. It has grown well, but last year really developed some pretty rippling....is interesting how they continue to mature. I just wish we didnt have to wait so long!

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Planted August 2012, doing well, I'm really liking this one.

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

This is my Queen. She is 5 years old and had three very slow first years. Now I like her.

This post was edited by Bennie0203 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 2:29

• User
    8 years ago

bump

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

June 12, 2015

...still searching for more recent photo. Mocc, thank you for the bump! How is yours looking this year?