Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkiemo

Identification (newbie)

tkiemo
11 years ago

New to this sight . I have over 40 hostas but I have 9 from years ago that I have no idea what they are. I have been looking at the HL and think that #7 may be Lancifolia and #5 Abiquade Delight. Any help identifying these were be apprecaited.

Comments (13)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Pic #1 not sure maybe Ginko Craig
    Pics 2&3 Undulata univitata
    Pics 3&4 Blue Cadet (I assume this is more blue earlier in the Spring)
    Pics 5&6 Undulata erromena (if it blooms in July with purple flowers, if white flowers in August it's Royal Standard)
    Pics 7&8 Fortunei Aureomarginata
    Pics 9&10 Undulata Albomarginata
    Pics 11&12 Lancifolia
    Pics 13&14 Not sure. Are those flowers fragrant?
    Pics 15&16 Golden Tiara

It really is easier for us if you post 2 or 3 per thread. That way it reduces confusion scrolling up and down and allows for others to correct all the mistakes that I made :~).

Steve

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

The first one is Stiletto.

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

yeah, too many on 1 thread.

1. Ginko Craig... almost positive

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

13/14 is probably elegans

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

#8 (full leaf pic) looks to have some coloring along the veins that may be virus.

#1 I'm guessing stiletto.

Paul

• tkiemo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks much for your help. Maybe I will re-post only with 2 or 3 per post with the information you have provided.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

I'm with Paul and hosta freak, that's 'Stiletto' in the first shot.

Pieter

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

#1 is Stiletto
    #2 is Undulata Univittata
    #3 ? - seems too corrugated for Blue Cadet to me, so I'm not sure
    #4 ?
    #5 Hosta Virus X infected Fortunei Aureomarginata
    #6 Undulata Albomarginata
    #7 Lancifolia
    #8 Blue Angel (definitely)
    #9 Golden Tiara

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

Yeah I agree with ctopher...too corrugated for blue cadet... And the big blue could very well be blue angel... We all know how much elegans can vary...
    John

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i would put money on steve ...

basically.. you have the top 9 MOST COMMON HOSTA.. sold in the last 35 years ... all sold as 'collections' from bulb companies.. and until recently [since 9 years ago.. when you got them] .. the only ones sold by bigboxstore ...

where did you get them 9 years ago???? am i close???

and that is why your guess of abiqua delight is probably off.. since i doubt it was ever sold in mass volume... [but i could be wrong]

whatever.. you have a nice base collection...

are you open to enabling?? .. we are pretty good at it.. lol ..

welcome.. come back often..

ken

• tkiemo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken adrian
    I believe I got some of these from my mother well over ten years ago. A couple I may have bought from the local nursery and just did not keep the tag. The last 7 years or so I now keep the labels and keep a layout of the gardens so I know where things are. Thanks all for your help. IF I can't identify them I guess I will just keep calling them Big Green or Green with yellow edge. I may even replace some of them with newer varieties.

• User
    11 years ago

Don't know where they went, but every picture above #8-9 disappeared from the thread, not even shown as removed.

But my comment is about #1 anyway......I really like your Stiletto, it is a well behaved hosta small as it is, growing nicely between two larger plants yet holding its own. If I ever put more in the ground, I think Stiletto will be one of them, based on the way yours looks.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I am almost positive #1 is Stiletto. My Ginko Craig has larger and more ovate leaves. The virtual continuation of the petiole into the blade and continuation of white variegation, the leaf dimensions exactly match my Stiletto.

I also had in mind exactly as Chris listed 5 - 9 before I read his reply (except I didn't pick up the HVX-I wasn't looking for it. It is my affliction for not walking and chewing bubble-gum at the same time).

Les