Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification (newbie)

Posted by tkiemo (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 19:24

New to this sight . I have over 40 hostas but I have 9 from years ago that I have no idea what they are. I have been looking at the HL and think that #7 may be Lancifolia and #5 Abiquade Delight. Any help identifying these were be apprecaited.
1 #1
2 #2
#2a
3 #3
#3a
4 #4
#4a
5 #5
#5a
6 #6
#6a
7 #7
#7a
8 #8
#8a
9 #9
#9a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification (newbie)

Pic #1 not sure maybe Ginko Craig
Pics 2&3 Undulata univitata
Pics 3&4 Blue Cadet (I assume this is more blue earlier in the Spring)
Pics 5&6 Undulata erromena (if it blooms in July with purple flowers, if white flowers in August it's Royal Standard)
Pics 7&8 Fortunei Aureomarginata
Pics 9&10 Undulata Albomarginata
Pics 11&12 Lancifolia
Pics 13&14 Not sure. Are those flowers fragrant?
Pics 15&16 Golden Tiara

It really is easier for us if you post 2 or 3 per thread. That way it reduces confusion scrolling up and down and allows for others to correct all the mistakes that I made :~).

Steve

o

The first one is Stiletto.

o

yeah, too many on 1 thread.

1. Ginko Craig... almost positive

o

13/14 is probably elegans

o

#8 (full leaf pic) looks to have some coloring along the veins that may be virus.

#1 I'm guessing stiletto.

Paul

o

Thanks much for your help. Maybe I will re-post only with 2 or 3 per post with the information you have provided.

o

I'm with Paul and hosta freak, that's 'Stiletto' in the first shot.

Pieter

o

#1 is Stiletto
#2 is Undulata Univittata
#3 ? - seems too corrugated for Blue Cadet to me, so I'm not sure
#4 ?
#5 Hosta Virus X infected Fortunei Aureomarginata
#6 Undulata Albomarginata
#7 Lancifolia
#8 Blue Angel (definitely)
#9 Golden Tiara

o

Yeah I agree with ctopher...too corrugated for blue cadet... And the big blue could very well be blue angel... We all know how much elegans can vary...
John

o

i would put money on steve ...

basically.. you have the top 9 MOST COMMON HOSTA.. sold in the last 35 years ... all sold as 'collections' from bulb companies.. and until recently [since 9 years ago.. when you got them] .. the only ones sold by bigboxstore ...

where did you get them 9 years ago???? am i close???

and that is why your guess of abiqua delight is probably off.. since i doubt it was ever sold in mass volume... [but i could be wrong]

whatever.. you have a nice base collection...

are you open to enabling?? .. we are pretty good at it.. lol ..

welcome.. come back often..

ken

o

Ken adrian
I believe I got some of these from my mother well over ten years ago. A couple I may have bought from the local nursery and just did not keep the tag. The last 7 years or so I now keep the labels and keep a layout of the gardens so I know where things are. Thanks all for your help. IF I can't identify them I guess I will just keep calling them Big Green or Green with yellow edge. I may even replace some of them with newer varieties.

o

Don't know where they went, but every picture above #8-9 disappeared from the thread, not even shown as removed.

But my comment is about #1 anyway......I really like your Stiletto, it is a well behaved hosta small as it is, growing nicely between two larger plants yet holding its own. If I ever put more in the ground, I think Stiletto will be one of them, based on the way yours looks.

o

I am almost positive #1 is Stiletto. My Ginko Craig has larger and more ovate leaves. The virtual continuation of the petiole into the blade and continuation of white variegation, the leaf dimensions exactly match my Stiletto.

I also had in mind exactly as Chris listed 5 - 9 before I read his reply (except I didn't pick up the HVX-I wasn't looking for it. It is my affliction for not walking and chewing bubble-gum at the same time).

Les

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here