Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landlady_gw

Tenyru

landlady
11 years ago

Tenyru is one of 14 new hosta that arrived in the post yesteday. It looks lovely, but definitely wants to lie down and rest for a while. (Mildred Seaver is also inclined to want to go horizontal.) So, what is your advice. As you can see, I have loosely tied the stalks up and propped it against an old vase, but maybe I should just let it stand when it's ready?

What say you?

Comments (8)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Tape it or tie it or stake it up. If you water it enough and keep it in the shade those long pets will stand on their own eventually. It looks like you got a piece off of a mature Hosta. If the root system is good that will look great next Spring. Here is what a mature one looks like (Adams garden, not mine):

Steve

• landlady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Steve. I thought I had read that you had Tenyru and was hoping you would respond. And yes, the roots looked quite wonderful. So, I will leave that loose elastic on it until it can hold those petioles up by itself. In fact, I will go out and tie Mildred up as well, since she also seems to want to sprawl for now.

Back outside....

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

This post reminds me of a challenge I issued to Mr. Van Wade a couple of years ago.

I asked him if he could show me the difference between H. 'Tenyru' and H. nigrescens.

So off on one of his golf carts we went, and we cut leaves from each. When we got back to one of his picnic tables we couldn't decide which was which.

So off we went carting again, and this time made sure we kept them separate and ID'd.

Back at the picnic table, still no joy. We could not find what was different.

Same result here at Hosta Hills, hard to see what's different.

Wish I had some comparison fotos to demonstrate, sorry.

Both seem to be the earliest of the 'vase-shaped' Hostas, so are celebrated by us.

hh

• landlady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, good news. When I went out this morning to admire all of the new hosta, I slipped off the elastic that was holding Tenyru upright and....she stood straight and tall all on her own. Mildred looks like she needs another day with her crutches, but she should be up and walking on her own soon.

• User
    11 years ago

I use the skewers that you make shish kabobs with. Especially the metal ones are good, because they are longer than the wooden ones.

I use the blue masking tape, low adhesive to wrap the petioles in a big bouquet. If it wants to flop, then I add the skewers inside the tape, go down easily to avoid hurting the roots, and I put in 3 or 4 of them to hold the tape off the plant tissue. I am a container grower though, not an in-the-ground planter.

• landlady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Moccasinlanding. I also grow all of my hostas in pots. Given that you are in an even warmer zone than I am I had been wondering if that was your approach, and now I know. It gives me more information when reading all of your posts, so....thanks.

What I used in this case to hold the petioles together was the same industrial sized elastic band that the roots and paper and plastic were held with. I just cut it and then retied it loosely. And my "skewer" is a skinny dowel that was hanging around...

Seems like it all serves the same purpose, but the more ways I have to deal with the hostas the better as I can feel more coming on....so...thank you again.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

plant it.. put a stout sake right down the middle.. w/o poking thru the crown.. and then masking tape it ...

and leave it all there.. until the tape breaks off itself.. in a month or two ..

the tape method should be addressed in MOVING A FULLY LEAFED OUT HOSTA.. the stake is requisite.. until the roots grab hold ...

ken

• landlady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aha....thanks Ken. I was wondering about the effect that the heavy winds we've been having recently might have on the newly potted plants. I may go out and stake a few of them "for roots' sake"...