Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Anybody growing Cookie Crumbs?

hostanista
10 years ago

When a tree guy cuts down a monster tree, the chunks are called "cookies". Saved a couple for rustic seating along my Hosta Walk, next to Sum and Substance. I really should get Cookie Crumbs to surround the area. Anybody growing Cookie Crumbs, singles or in multiples? Photos?

Comments (7)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I've got one clump. Nice little hosta. Not nearly as fast or showy as Cracker Crumbs. No pictures handy...

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Planted mine last year, looks good so far. It also survived when I lost most of my minis this past winter. I had planted them in the wrong place so it was my fault.

{{gwi:1041229}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it died

ken

• idiothe
    10 years ago

bummer, Paula. I had no luck growing the very small ones... lost way too many... until I started building raised beds just for that purpose. They don't get lost and by using the right soil mix, they get good drainage - and it gives me the impetus to toss some extra leaves over them for the winter... pretty good success rate.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I put mine in a large concrete planter. It looked good when I did it but I used the moisture retention planter mix and didn't give them any protection. Only one survived in that particular planter - Cookie Crumbs. The soil was sodden.
    The other planter had 3 mini mice and I lost my four year old Mighty Mouse :( My DH bought me a new one this spring as a surprise.
    This is what they looked like last year.
    Holy Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Mighty Mouse
    {{gwi:971701}}
    The survivor - Cookie Crumbs is at the bottom of the photo.
    {{gwi:1041230}}

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

btw - what soil mix do you use? Perhaps I will try again.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I pretty much fill the raised beds with whatever I have... combination of regular topsoil with compost to loosen it up. The raised beds really do drain differently than a pot or container...

the other danger, I think, of containers is that they warm up earlier in the spring than the ground or a larger raised bed does... so they thaw - then freeze -then thaw -then freeze... so I throw leaves over the beds - and leave them on until spring has sprung for real.

actually, on my "pyramid" I pile bags of leaves around and over it... collect them from people in the neighborhood who don't use lawn services... drag the bags off and use the leaves as mulch in other beds in spring.

Here's my only Cookie Crumbs. It was a neat clump last year, but I took pieces off for folks. Whenever I divide one of these little guys, I stick little fragments... tiny eye and one root, often... around the main plant. It leads to asymetrical messes like this one - but next year those "colonies" will probably be big enough to pot up...

(Please forgive the chickweed... I just wanted to grab a quick pic, didn't realize how it ran through the clump!)