Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Unusual bud

mosswitch
10 years ago

You might remember my four year old seedling "Kasandra" that showed a bit of rippling this year and a lot of promise. It is getting ready to bloom for the first time and the buds are rather unusual. Just thought I would share.

Sandy

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Very different kind of flower or stalk going on there, Sandy. I'm not familiar with Kasandra your seedling, its first time blooming .... don't know if that is a deformed scape or typical of that hosta, but it's different...

Seeing that green and the white flowers scape, I was already thinking fragrant plantaginea family!

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has three scapes, and they are all alike. From dead on, it has a star shape. Could have plantaginea in its lineage. When I first found it the only hostas in the near vicinity were plantaginea and Montana aureomarginata, it was growing between the bricks in the patio. Can't wait to see it actually bloom.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photo, I had to use my tablet as my camera is in the shop.

Sandy

• User
    10 years ago

If plantaginea gave up some pollen for this new Kasandra, it will be an outstanding gift. Mama doesn't seem to be too fertile from what I've read. But she has her moments. I really hope this is one of them.

As an observation based on what is happening here, many of my fragrant hosta are developing scapes or already opening blooms. Not waiting for August.

That includes Fragrant King, and even some big buds ready to do something on Avocado, Paradise Sunshine, and Doubled Up. I see nothing on Aphrodite yet, or on Mama herself. I repotted her early this spring, and she is smaller than she was last year....perhaps because of the disturbance.

I had not been into the garden since I injured my leg a few days back. After dark two nights ago, I went out to lower all the umbrellas, since our forecast called for heavy winds during the night....it missed us though. It seemed everything had grown to encroach upon the already narrow pathways through the maze of hosta pots. And the flashlight beam picked up on two HUGE buds atop the Avocado, which had not been visible my last walkabout. I could not wait to see it next morning in the light. Sure enough, they were big, and had huge leaves surrounding the flower bud. Another fasciated scape with a lot of really big leaves. Don't know if they can be fertile or not? Would love to have some seed from my fragrant hosta this year. If fertile, they will be my treasures.

And, by the way, when the air is calm, like this morning, there is on the air a fragrance that is unmistakeable, and it is a delight to encounter it.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aha! I just went out and looked at Montana, which normally hasn't bloomed much, for me, for some reason, and the scapes are identical. So I guess it is a Montana aureomarginata seedling! That explains half of its parentage. Who knows what the other half could be? But it sure produced a pretty plant, with its long graceful ripply leaves and interesting buds!

Sandy

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler