Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davej_07

Weeded another bed

davej_07
11 years ago

Just a few pics after weeding tonight. I have a few things to move around and then top dress the bed with compost and leaf mulch.

Anyone in SE Wisconsin interested in some clumps for their gardens? Ive got a few plants that need rehoming.

Dave

Comments (15)

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

That is a beautifil 'Embroidery' or is it 'A Stitch in Time'? Either way.....very nice garden.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Lookin' good, Dave.

What's that pretty blue & green hosta that's just under the open casement?

• davej_07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Simply Sharon OS. Actually named for the wife of a good friend, by Bob Kuk.

Dave

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Beautiful hosta. What's the growth rate like?

• davej_07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not the fastest grower, it's Seboldiana lines. But I have to say it likes the sun it gets and grows pretty well there.

Dave

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Beautiful collection, love the pergola

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Well, it's definitely another one for 'The List'. I'm in major restraint mode this summer. So far I've only added Patriot, Second Wind and Touch of Class.

I should oughta' stay out of here so I don't get so many temptations. :)

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

What hosta are you looking to rehome?

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants,Dave! You really need to put some mulch in there. The weeds will not come up as strong,and best of all, it keeps mud from splashing up on your hosta. Phil

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I am weeding too, some large columbines, wood poppies and clumps of ajugas got cut out, they thought to take over the hostas. So I saw the Hosta Library Auction and liked two hostas with white centers, medium size, and vigorous, I have to find more space, there are also more than 30 seedlings waiting, 18 of those streaked. I also have around 10 larger plants waiting in pots, same as Dave so it seems, but mine will replace some Albomarginatas.
    Bernd

• User
    11 years ago

Looks like that big Sagae needs a new home to me. Might be worth the 1500 miles x 2 it would take for me to come get it.

Bernd, I was almost in your area I think....last week was it? My mind has not recovered from the mad trip up and back of 2612 miles, by myself. I could have taken some off your hands. Drats. Like the seedlings......with couple streaked....

• Tim
    11 years ago

I love all of those hostas. They look great!

I don't weed around my hostas very much, because I have a nice layer of pine needle mulch around them. It really helps to suppress the weeds and grass.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Dave, you are a lucky man to have a Simply Sharon hosta in your garden. I tried to buy one this year, but then it was sold out.
    Moccasin, none of my streakers! That is my little breeding program, can't wait to see what they are. I could not believe it, but Jeff M. from LotG hosta farm sent me a free hosta 'Powder Keg' with my order, got another streaker!
    Bernd

• davej_07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most places that advertised Simply Sharon claimed to be sold out, but according to my Guru that was because Simply Sharon doesn't TC well and they haven't been able to deliver to the sellers. Bob Kuk TC'd it once before, resulting in Bigga Luigi, the all blue plant. I'd sell you a division of mine, but it's Originator Stock and you'd pay more than you would have for the TCs.

Dave

• angelonia_anne
    11 years ago

I Would Like to Buy/ Trade some of the Embroidery Hosta from you. Take a look at my trade list, I have 500 hosta varieties. I live in western New York

Here is a link that might be useful: MY TRADE LINK