Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hykue

hosta identity crisis

Hello, all. I have been ignoring my garden in favor of my kid for a couple of summers and I now have a few missing hostas and a few that have lost their tags. I have pictures and a list of possibilities!

The options are
Blue Wedgwood
Canadian Blue
Lancifolia
Richland Gold
Bright Lights
June
Sagae (which I think died)
and Black Hills (but I'm nearly certain this one is dead)

The first one is growing in full sun now:

Comments (24)

• hykue Zone 7 Vanc. Island
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The options are
    Blue Wedgwood
    Canadian Blue
    Lancifolia
    Richland Gold
    Bright Lights
    June
    Sagae (which I think died)
    and Black Hills (but I'm nearly certain this one is dead)

This one is also currently in full sun.

Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is Bright Lights, isn't it?

Original Author
    10 years ago

And please tell me this one is June :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

The one with your "June" white tag is, I believe, June Fever...my daughter has it so I'm pretty sure...gorgeous yellow with green margin. Jo.
    Hope you get all of them I.D.'d. :)

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

The last photo doesn't look like June to me -wrong leaf shape

Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to post that the options are the same for all the pictures - I've only ever owned a certain number of hostas, and I know all their names. These have been horribly mistreated, though, in dry shade, and last fall my goats got out and ate them before they died back. I don't know if that affects leaf shape, though. :)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

June, when young has a more elongated shape. It's not June Fever... that is shiny.
    So, the one with the label.... that COULD be June, but it could also be Bright Lights.
    The sunscorched one... I don't think that's either.... the leaf shape is too round.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

My Blue Wedgwood . new this season

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Canadian blue looks a lot like the Blue Wedgwood( at least my young ones do. Maybe these will help you find them

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Pretty sure #1 is Wedgwood Blue, #2 is Richland old, #3 is June and #4 is bright lights

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

My Richland gold

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

June Fever looks like your one you have as June

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Sague

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Last of the ones I have that may be of some help is Black Hills. Good luck, I think someone comes in and steals the tags. I have a few missing again this season

From a former Sask. girl
    Faye

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I almost forgot a picture of June

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there are too many in one post ...

i got seasick flipping up and down ...

#1 is blue Wedgwood... as the best guess at that young age... might change my mind when it matures in a year or two.. but pretty sure ...

there is no limit to posts.. so i usually suggest no more that 2 IDs per post ... but i am not the GW police..

welcome the the hosta forum... you are hereby enabled...

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the input! hard to type more because of toddler, will try to return!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm going with the consensus, where there is one, and on_greenthumb.
    #1 is blue wedgwood (consensus!)
    #2 is Richland Gold (consensus!)
    #3 is June
    #4 is Bright Lights (Probably)

I thought that was sunscorching, thisismelissa, but it's the only one pictured that is still in nearly full shade. A mystery, that.

Thank you, Faye, for all the pictures. They did help me be more certain. And miss my Black Hills . . . it died the first winter. :(

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont know which pic is referring to sunscorch.. but there is a cold scorch aka frances wms.. does it look like that???

and do note OP is z3 somewhere near the north pole.. lol ..

btw.. when did the snow melt.. last week.. lol ..

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

The one with the plastic knife that says June, is, in fact, June. It's in a bit too much sun, so the center is quite gold. But it is June. Richland Gold is correct also.

As others have stated, the first one is either Blue Wedgewood or Candian Blue. It's hard to tell the difference. They are both related to Halcyon. But BW has light lavender, almost white flowers. CB has medium lavender flowers. If you wait for the flowers you may be able to tell. Check out the library pics.

The last one I don't know. But it's not what my Bright LIghts looks like.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just in case anyone likes to be vindicated, I found tags for all except the Richland Gold when I moved them, and all of them were as stated (#1 being Blue Wedgwood, #3 being June, and #4 being Bright Lights).

I had already moved two of them this year, but I found relevant fragments of tags when I moved them again! Yay for indecisive planting!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I must say, the plastic knife plant tags; That's pretty good improvisation.

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

oops double post

This post was edited by hykue on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:21

• User
    10 years ago

Don, I agree, the plastic knives work for me. Some things are not stiff enough to penetrate the potting mix/soil, but the knife is worth a try. Tidy too.