Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

I kidded with Gesila that she showed signs of being a hostaholic when she justified taking an hour and a half detour to buy hosta on a recent trip. I figure with all the clever and creative people here, we ought to be able to come up with a Top Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic.

A couple to start....

-You know you're a hostaholic when you see a beautiful lawn with trees and think what a waste of a great hosta space.

-You know you're a hostaholic when you tell the family you're taking them out to eat someplace new and it just happens to have a Hosta Nursery nearby you've wanted to check out.

Let's hear yours.

Paul

Comments (133)

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You know your a hostaholic when your niece, (the one just married) buys a new house and you wonder what hosta you will bring as a house warming present.

Beverly

PS: Good call Paul.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

....when you're on a road trip seeing wonderful things like the Grand Canyon, but you take along your laptop and check into the hosta forum every day in case you're missing something great!
    Jan

• User
    11 years ago

Does it mean something, that I've taken to closely observing Asian gardens (Chinese, Japanese) looking for signs of hosta?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

bump

ken

• Gesila
    11 years ago

You know you're a hostaholic when you're no longer worried what the township will say now that you've started planting hostas in the park behind your home:

This post was edited by Gesila on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 2:51

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

You might be a Hostaholic if......You're not a Rebublican, but 'George W.' is one of your all-time favorites!

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know you're a Hostaholic when you have your new hosta order in the kitchen sink and your family doesn't see that as odd anymore.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

LOL Paul!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was posted recently and I think it definitely belongs...

You might be a hostaholic if..........working in the garden you come across a hosta you have no recollection ever buying or planting.

It's called the Hosta Lost Weekend and it often happens in the fall as you rush to get that last hosta fix.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lost Weekend

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Tears rolling down my face! Paul that's a great one!

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

- You know you're a hostaholic when you have more pictures of your hosta than you do your children and grandchildren.

- You know you're a hostaholic when you plan your vacations around your bare root deliveries.

- You know you're a hostaholic when you turn over your ‘Welcome’ sign and paint ‘GO AWAY’

- You know you're a hostaholic when you throw your nursery pots in the neighbors trash so no one knows how much you spend on hosta.

- You know you're a hostaholic when someone asks you what you’re doing Saturday night and you say, Waiting for next weeks hosta delivery.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Hostas or a Bra? Hmmmm, definitely in the top 10 (just love that thread). WW

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

You have over a hundred hosta and you know every one of their names. Yet, despite having only three grand children, you continue to call them by the wrong name. Not to mention forgetting your anniversary and DW's birthday.

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

LOL

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

haha harryshoe! I think the problem here is that the grandkids move about so much!! The hostas stay in their places, and location helps me remember their names! Get the kids to line up in order - problem solved.
    Jan

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

This possibly may be the one that funnthsun is looking for. If not it still is a hoot to read over again. Discribes quite a few of us
    Faye

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Come back from Arizona sunshine to plant the seeds sent to me from Dansgrden. Hoping I can make them grow .

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 21:50

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for diggin' this up again, Studmuffin Faye. This is a thread that all newbies MUST check out, and those of us who are not newbies should look at it at least one time every season (in my humble personal opinion)...Thanks to Paul J. for starting this thread way back on 06/14/2011. Paul's The Man, and his threads have led me to many wonderful hostas that are now happily maturing in my shaded garden areas

Now I'm gonna go re-read it once again...See what new stuff is in here...

Giddy Don B....; P

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

oops finally worked I see. Computer wants time off during growing season lol

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:56

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Faye, that is fabulous that Dan so nicely offered you some of his seeds. Don't be too nervous, you'll get 'em going just find. I love seeing what Dan cooks up in his alcove of hybridizing wonders! I know you'll do well, Faye!

Don B.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

You know you are a Hostaholic if you go through this whole thread when you just did that a few months ago!( which I just did but there might be some thing new)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

A great thread to revive. I have read this....who knows how many times... and still laugh. But it makes me a bit sad that so many of the original contributors no longer show up on the forum. It's like losing old friends.
    Jan

10 years ago

You know you're something when you comment that the dummy who can't remember the names his grand children sounds pretty close to home. Then, ten minutes later, you realize that you wrote the post!

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

You know your a Hostaholic when you ask your spouse and kids to give timely urine samples to use as pest control and even entertain the thought of asking your neighbors to donate! :-) just kidding
    I need to go I'm a little thirsty!
    Gary

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

You know you're a hosta addict when you just spent $1,325.00 on Hosta ‘Sharon Stone’ and think you got a good deal

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

LOL!

My husband walks in while I am reading this thread--he is wondering why I am laughing. He is reading over my shoulder, then, shaking his head says "yep--that's you, so is that, so is that, so is that...!"

I scrolled down to the bottom so I could post this, saw the previous post about Sharon Stone. My husband was watching with me when that auction was finishing. I know he was thinking "don't you EVER do that!" LOL

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Okay everyone, I haven't been checking in here much lately. This thread is hilarious! I'm rather glad hubby and kids aren't here right now to read. Then again, they already know my symptoms! The general gardening one, boy did I laugh about the comment about 7' Japanese maples. Last fall I brought home two like that! Lol. I was rather concerned about what I would hear from hubby, but he didn't even notice them for a few weeks!

Two others to add: you might be addicted when you arrive home with a new load, and you're scanning the drive for hubby's vehicle before turning in, and try to decide if you should hide your new stash among the trees in the drive until he's not home.

You're married for 15yrs without a honeymoon, and when you take your first vacation, you drive 10+hrs to go to a major garden in the Montreal area, and tack on a very brief afternoon side trip to see old Quebec City since you're in the area. Yep, last summer!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

"...and try to decide if you should hide your new stash among the trees in the drive until he's not home."

LOL That's hilarious!! : )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

C'mon, Don...try it just once....even though you don't have to....next time you come home from a nursery with scads of hosta in the car, pretend you are skulking around and hide them...I kid you not, you will giggle!!!

The only problem is....if you hide too many or hide them too well, you may not find one till a few days later...lol. Yup, happened to me.....I just got tired of people asking " where are you going to plant them"? So now I just briskly move them out of sight ASAP till planting time. "Oh, I've had these for some time...I like to pick them up and play with them for awhile before I finally plant them".

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Well, Jo, I HAVE intercepted a couple of boxes on the front porch, before UPS or US Postal Service could ring the doorbell. I then potted them up or planted them ASAP before my DW saw me. She didn't know I ordered them. You may ask: What happened when see saw the bill/charges on the bank statements?

Happily, that's not an issue. I made these particular purchases with money orders. Heh heh heh heh heh...I guess that's a pretty good sign I'm a hostaholic. : P

Don B.

P.S. And yes, it was fun to do. : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 21:19

• User
    10 years ago

Don, your coy and sly diversionary tactics remind me of one of my life long FAVORITE writers/humorists, James Thurber. He had or still has in his books the sort of humor you seem to appreciate.

Your money order technique for payment....that, my friend, takes it to the level of PREMEDITATED ..... hehehehehe, we can take notes from Don B, THE MASTER OF SUBTERFUGE.

Anyway, Mr. Thurber is enjoying a renewed popularity with the remake of a movie THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, a story written by James Thurber. I forget who plays Mitty in the remake, but Danny Kaye starred in the musical version of it which I saw back in 1947... Thurber was a book author, magazine writer, a cartoonist, and a staffer of The New Yorker doing much like Andy Borowitz does today. Check him out at your library.

10 years ago

Following a severe ice storm and single digit temps, there are thousands of people nearby who have been without power for three days and counting.

The most sympathetic thought you can muster is: "I hope this won't affect the hosta".

I'm only kidding.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bump

• marta_in_qc z4
    9 years ago

Best thread ever! A few more:

You know you're a hostaholic when you realize you are unable to give a simple answer when asked how many Hostas you have.

- You have one number for unique Hostas, another (much larger) number that includes duplicates/multiples, and you are not sure whether to include sports and seedlings in with the first number or the second number...

- Then of course there are the hostas you have ordered that have not yet arrived, and the hostas in your cart on several websites that you have not yet (officially) purchased.

- You have to bite your lip and avoid eye contact when your DH suggests you should stop buying more Hosta once you reach 100 -- because you can't reveal are WAY past that ...

- You bunch newly acquired hostas as compactly together as possible so they don't look like so many until you can get them in the ground. There are 23 Hostas in this cart, but a true hostaholic believes her DH will not estimate it as more than 8.

- You need a cart to haul your Hostas around.

- You read posts like this with tears in your eyes, your LOLs wake the dog up, and you're just grateful there's nobody else around to hear you.

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, Marta, beautifully written, precisely TRUE to the last tiny detail!

I thank you for that one. I think you have the same kind of wagon, but tricked out with a watering can and a spade laid "just so" and of course that is a simple EIGHT HOSTA in there....right again. ....sigh. glad you said it, Going to read that to my DH! He will love it too.

9 years ago

You read posts like this with tears in your eyes, your LOLs wake the dog up, and you're just grateful there's nobody else around to hear you

--==>>> best homage EVER!!!!!!

ken

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

You know you're a hostaholic when you place a large order with several hosta retailers and ask them not to send a bill with your order. :)

When you volunteer to do relief work in a different state for work as this area is close to a prime hosta retailer. (I'm leaving tomorrow lol)

You can't remember what you did yesterday but have instant recall when it comes to your 'hosta wish list'

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

BUMP ..... It's a dreary day outdoors, windy and cold. A good day to read and enjoy a good laugh!

Enjoy!

• mkpearse (MI z6a)
    8 years ago

Aaaahhh this is too much! Love it!

You know you're a hostaholic when your DH sends you a pic of a struggling hosta in full sun at work and you tell him to bring it home to save it. But he says "Nah, it's too common for you!"

• kay21_utahzone5b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Summer 2015: I stored 45 or so are under my neighbor's tree and I've added more - there are so many more on my list - I have no idea where I'm going to plant them!

Fun thread!

Kay

• gardengoon1957
    6 years ago

You know you are a hostaholic...if you realize you need new friends because you have given them so many of your extra hosta (to make room for more) that they say "stop I have no more room!" New friends = more hosta to share! Then more hosta!

6 years ago

in honor of karin ... bumping this oldie.. but goodie... ken

• Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

Thanks Ken! :-)

3 years ago

bump again .... timeless... ken

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

this post makes me smile..the comments sound crazy to a "normal" person but to hosta addicts they're perfectly reasonable..

3 years ago

NOTE: at the very top.. hit the buttong that says something like.... SEE 78 other repllies .... thats where a lot of the original lists are ...

ken

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

The funny thing is I could sincerely identify with something from each of the posts....... I could not keep from laughing out loud through the entire group of posts! :-)

debra

• bkay2000
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just read the whole thread one more time. It was fun remembering all the great folks who have been through here on the hosta road. Thanks for bumping it up, ken.

bkay

• erin W
    3 years ago

You know you are a hostaholic when you discipline your four year old son, and he gets mad and says "mommy, if you don't do what I want, I am going to take the tags off your hosta's so you won't know their names.". .... And for a moment you feel fear in your heart, until you proudly think that you have their locations memorized enough that you could figure it out.

That same four year old knows the name of several of your favorite hostas, and tells you what they want. "Pandora's box doesn't like this spot, he wants to be moved over there.". ... And you seriously consider moving it so he might get into hostas just like you.

When you go to hosta plant sales partially so you can find and talk to other hosta nuts who won't look at you like you are insane when you talk about your hosta.... And then

If you get a little sad or frustrated when you figure out you know way more about hosta than they do... And if you can't believe that they have this beautiful hosta, but never bothered to try to ID it.

If you seriously consider trying to ID other people's hostas through this forum.

When you are giving a tour of your garden and referring to this hosta as "she" and another one as "he" and your friend laughs at you says "how do you know if it's a boy or girl?" and you say, "I'm not sure.... I guess I just get a vibe, you know?"

When for you, one of the most depressing aspects of covid is that you JUST joined the american hosta society and mn hosta society this year and now all the meetings are postponed or cancelled.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner