Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

Posted by paul_in_mn 4a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 19:59

I kidded with Gesila that she showed signs of being a hostaholic when she justified taking an hour and a half detour to buy hosta on a recent trip. I figure with all the clever and creative people here, we ought to be able to come up with a Top Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic.

A couple to start....

-You know you're a hostaholic when you see a beautiful lawn with trees and think what a waste of a great hosta space.

-You know you're a hostaholic when you tell the family you're taking them out to eat someplace new and it just happens to have a Hosta Nursery nearby you've wanted to check out.

Let's hear yours.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

- You know you're a hostaholic when you hide your camera after your neighbor asks "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?".

o

-You know you're a hostaholic when your wish list is longer than your "have" list.
-You know you're a hostaholic when you turn down a gift of hostas from someone who calls them "the green and white one AND the all-green one".
-You know you're a hostaholic when you're trying to figure out when you can get rid of the playset and plant the area with hostas.
-You know you're a hostaholic when you YOURSELF admits to needing a 12-step program and expect to find one at the GW Hosta Forum!
-You know you're a hostaholic when you have a separate bank account for your hosta purchases.
-You know you're a hostaholic when you find hiding spots for your hostas so you don't get in trouble from the spouse.
-You know you're a hostaholic when you unload the car from the recent haul and the neighbors roll their eyes.
-You know you're a hostaholic when you ask your friends, family or neighbors if you can put some of your hostas in their beds.
-You know you're a hostaholic when a criteria for buying a new home is what the potential hosta gardens could look like or how much shade is available.

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you invite the local garden club to your gardens,and though they are impressed,none of them know one hosta from another,but they are amazed that you know the names of all the hostas in your garden! Phil

o

You know you're a hostaholic when...

people say 'Bigfoot is Real' and you say, "why yes, it is, I can see it out my back window..."

o
RE: 10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic 2

-You know you're a hostaholic when it's easy to come up with entries for "you know you're a hostaholic when..."
-You know you're a hostaholic when planning a vacation includes finding hosta growers and open gardens to tour and only vacationing during the growing season!

o

- You know you're a hostaholic when your family photo album contains not one photo with a person, only Hostas.

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you are relieved that that blankety-blank deer ONLY ate all 200 of your lily buds and left every single one of your hostas alone last night, when you forget to get outside and spray after the rainshower!

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you already have 60 new varities of hostas in pots waiting to be planted then drive an hour each way to get 17 more.

You know you're a hostaholic when you tear out all of your grass to have more room to plant more hostas.

You know you're a hostaholic when you start running out of room to plant more hostas so you begin thinking about planting hostas in your neighbors yards.

You know you're a hostaholic when you have shade cloth going all the way across the front of your house to protect your hostas from the sun.

o

You know you're a hostaholic when....

you run out of room and start hanging hostas in pots ON walls and fences.
your first reaction when you pull in the drive and see a package full of hosta on the porch is like a kid in a candy store and your husband and children laugh at you!
you start to get upset about the hosta you just recieved being Olive Branch when you KNEW you bought Olive Bailey Langdon then you check and find out you really bought Olive Branch.
you start to think about getting rid of a pet because they stepped on a Hosta.

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you look over the fence and wonder what the township would say if you started planting hostas in the park.

o

You know you are when...

You promise your spouse that this is the LAST delivery of the summer!(as you see Fex-Ex driving up to the house)

When you are glad to split some of yours for a friend who says she doesn't care about the names, just wants the plants, and you fill out name planes anyway.

chris

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you stay up till the wee hours of the morning reading every single entry ever posted on GW's Hosta Forum.

o

-You know you are a hostaholic when the most common command your dog hears is "get out of the garden", even when the garden is under a walnut tree and the dog is a huning breed.
-You know you are a hostaholic when a neighbor comes over and finds you with a clipboard and tape measure recording mound and leaf sizes, taking vein counts, and noting the first sign of scapes
-You know you are a hostaholic when you get up in the morning and the first thing you do is start a pot of coffee and then go straight to you your computer and pull up Hosta Forum while waiting for the first cup to brew.
-You know you are a hostaholic when that first cup of coffee gets cold because you are so busy posting comments on Hosta Forum that you forget to drink it.

o

• Posted by G123 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 10:18

You know you are a hostaholic when you run out of old sheets to cover the hosta beds and think nothing of using the 'good company' sheets!!!

o

...your day hasn't begun until the hosta forum has been checked.
...your day cannot end until the hosta forum has been checked.
...after a hailstorm, you run out to check for hosta damage rather than siding, roof or vehicle problems
...you're stressing about having enough for the mortgage this month, but a good deal on hostas is too good to pass up
...when you photograph, ruminate, discuss and document the characteristics of any unnamed hosta in your garden

o

You know you're a hostaholic when

you look at any unnamed hosta in your yard as an unwanted visitor.

you have gone out in the dark with a flashlight more than once to check something on a hosta.

o

when you wrote this topic up 15 years ago.. and it was published in various club newsletters.. but you have changed computers so many times.. that you cant find it on your hard drive .. but you can find your database ...

ken

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you read all of the above, and think to yourself, 'well, that's normal.'

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you have to take pictures of all of your new acquisitions to show your friends on the hosta forum.

o

I submitted this to the perennial forum awhile back. Seems fitting here, lol.

You Know you are Addicted to Gardening when . . .
Your neighbors recognize you in your pajamas, rubber clogs and a cup of coffee
You grab other people�s banana peels, coffee grinds, apple cores, etc. for your compost pile.
You have to wash your hair to get your fingernails clean.
All your neighbors come and ask you questions.
You know the temperature of your compost every day.
You buy a bigger truck so that you can haul more mulch.
You enjoy crushing Japanese beetles because you like the sound that it makes.
Your boss makes "taking care of the office plants" an official part of your job description.
Everything you touch turns to "fertilizer".
Your non-gardening spouse becomes conversant in botanical names
You find yourself feeling leaves, flowers and trunks of trees wherever you go, even at funerals
You dumpster-dive for discarded bulbs after commercial landscapers remove them to plant annuals
You plan vacation trips around the locations of botanical gardens, arboreta, historic gardens, etc.
You sneak home a 7 foot Japanese Maple and wonder if your spouse will notice
When considering your budget, plants are more important than groceries
You always carry a shovel, bottled water and a plastic bag in your trunk as emergency tools
You appreciate your Master Gardener badge more than your jewelry
You talk "dirt" at baseball practice.
You spend more time chopping your kitchen greens for the compost pile than for cooking
You like the smell of horse manure better than Estee Lauder
You rejoice in rain�even after 10 straight days of it.
You have pride in how bad your hands look.
You have a decorative compost container on your kitchen counter.
You can give away plants easily, but compost is another thing.
Soil test results actually mean something.
You understand what IPM means and are happy about it
You�d rather go to a nursery to shop than a clothes store.
You know that Sevin is not a number
You take every single person who enters your house on a "garden tour"
You look at your child�s sandbox and see a raised bed.
You ask for tools for Christmas, Mother/Father�s day, your Birthday and any other occasion you can think of.
You can�t bear to thin seedlings and throw them away.
You scold total strangers who don�t take care of their potted plants.
You know how many bags of fertilizer/potting soil,/mulch your car will hold.
You drive around the neighborhood hoping to score extra bags of leaves for your compost pile
Your preferred reading matter is seed catalogs
And last but not least:
You know that the four seasons are:
Planning the Garden
Preparing the Garden
Gardening
~and~
Preparing and Planning for the next Garden

-Author Unknown

Then some other forum members added even more, at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Know You�re Addicted to Gardening When�(Supplemented version)

o

When you carry a list of your hosta in your purse just in case you come across a nursery in your travels.

When you hear an aquaintance, who happens to be selling hosta to someone, explaining that you have to divide them and her planting method and you just stand there and smile to yourself and think it is just not worth telling her the difference. She sells the same old ones every year.

Touring my garden with an old gardening friend (he is the go to guy for gardening around here) and I tell him this is Loyalist, Independence, Revolution, etc. and he hasn't a clue what I am talking about. He is in the regimental reenactment group and a Loyalist Decendent. But he was very excited to find that hosta seed themselves.

Betty

o

You know you're a hostaholic when your 22 month old son walks around the yard calling every plant big or small a "Hot-ta" The wife just shakes her head and says, he's definitely your child. I giggle every time.

o

you know you are a hostaholic when your husband says to you "Don't you just love golf?" I reply, "No, I just love hosta!"

o

and i thought i was just an enthusiaist...denial is a long river...i guess i`m a `holic.
but there are worse things then collecting plants right?

o

You named your first child Francee, your second child June, and your third child is called Kiwi Full Monte.

o

At least you didn't go with Alan P. McConnell.

Steve

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 21:46

LOL..last two are hilarious

o

"At least you didn't go with Alan P. McConnell."

Or Outhouse Delight'

o

• Posted by kisher Zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 10:19

You don't allow anyone to call your hosta "bushes".
You obsess with remembering every name of each hosta you have.
You can't wait each spring for the eyes to appear and count and record the number for each plant.
You fret when a hosta comes up LATE and obsess that you may have lost it!
You can't keep yourself from posting your hosta pics to the Hosta Forum.

o

bumpin this up for some fun

ken

o
RE: Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

You know you are a hostaholic when...

you bring 50 pots of hostas into the house in February(again) to wake them up because you are going through hosta withdrawls and need a fix.

o

OK,I'll play You know you're a hostaholic when you gather every pot,cardboard box or whatever you can get your hands on to cover your plants,as in this pic from April of '07 when we had a nasty freeze. Some of these pants didn't get covered and were damaged the rest of the year,but I didn't lose any. Take a look. Phil

Photobucket

o

This is a riot. I don't know how I missed it the first time. We are a sick bunch alright.

You know you're a hostaholic when:

you find yourself outside with a bucket of soapy water washing the Saskatoon berry spots off your hosta.

You find yourself in the rain with an umbrella, on the phone to your sister examining 'spots' on hosta leaves thinking its HVX and when sanity returns you realize it's dirt.

You point out HVX on garden tours and explain to owners what it is and why they should get rid of the plant.

You carry around information on HVX and hand it out freely at any nursery that has infected plants. You feel like the "hosta police"

You can never leave the house. Spring too much to do and so much promise. Early summer, the wonderful virginal hostas. Mid to late summer, it's hot and the water system might break. Fall there's clean up and winter protection to think of. Winter all those tempting catalogues and planing for the plants you have no room for and vowed not to buy.

You infect friends. One neighbor this fall was going to add a couple to the Hostas I'd shared with her this year. She bought 30 and can't wait for more.

You dream you get a haircut and it looks exactly like a hosta.

o

You know you're a hostaholic if, when you move, all 1000plus hostas go too, or if, when you are offered a great job opportunity you decline because it is in zone 9.('fess up, you know who you are.)
Jan

o

You know you are a hostaholic when every one of these applies to you and you just nod and say, yeah, that's right!

o

When you work over time calculated on how much money you need to get more hostas. I just did 4 hours overtime so my order to Hallsons will technically be free. So with that in mind I am also a good shopper. Paula

o

janON .. i dont know who you are talking about ..

ken

and it was 1650 .. to be more exact ... lol ...

o

- for the annual vacation on Cape Cod you have already planned to visit those 3 nurseries which had hostas you always wanted last year.
- you go down to the basement in winter every few hours to check, if hosta seeds have germinated or seedlings grown another 1/100th of an inch.
- you gave your then 6 year old grandson his very own Empress Wu (also Stiletto and Blue Cadet), to get him hooked. (he became a proud gardener)
Bernd

o

When the whole neighborhood is whispering about the Hosta in your front yard that looks a LOT like you!

Denny

o

You know your a hostaholic when....

you break out in a cold sweat when someone mentions getting a slice of one of your plants!

You remember asking for a slice of someones hosta and not feeling guilty !
(note. I did babysit the house and mow for 3 weeks) :)

You walk the line of plants so often you feel like you are on guard duty.

You realize your Moms friends will ALWAYS have that 10-20 year head start !

o

...you set a hosta budget for the year....and know you have no intention of sticking to it.

Paul

o

You might be a hostaholic if you cycle through favourite photos from hosta forum on your desktop wallpaper, so you can start every day with a hosta fix in spite of the snow outside. (I'm currently enjoying a fabulous pic of hostas with japanese maple combo)
Jan

o

You arrive home from a short trip to town. Before bringing in the groceries you walk the whole garden in case something changed during the hour or so you were gone.

o

...when you see global warming and above freezing temps all winter as an opportunity to plant hosta year-round..."why aren't they shipping my orders NOW???"

o

...your husband begs you to remove all the spring hosta orders from the kitchen counters so he can cook dinner.

...people visit your home, step out the back door and say, "Wow, you are really into this."

...your garden club friends expect you to name all the unnamed hostas in their gardens.

...your husband doesn't want to drive with you anymore because he fears for his life when you're at the wheel and swivel to check out another hosta lover's garden.

o

You know you're a hosta addict when someone on the forums asks in December, 2010 for five favourites, and you're still trying to decide in Feb. 2012.

o

You know you're a hosta addict when....

you know you cant fit anymore hostas in your garden,then go and order 'Empress Wu'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........#HELP ME#

o

You're going to need a big pot, UK.

Steve

o

You know you are a hostaholic when you retire and move back to be with your childrens families, and when they search for a home for you their first priority is how good the land is for your hostas.

"It happened to me"!

Les

o

UK, Empress Wu is great in small gardens, you have to place the pot with her on one of those Roman columns which get dug up in England once a while. Empress Wu then will create shade from above for other hostas.
Bernd

o

UK - I'm there!

These are hilarious! I can relate to more than a few of them!

Hosta budget? That's not actually a set amount is it? lol

Deanna

o

Berndnyz5, that is a fantastic idea about the Roman column...I'm going to build one out of hypertufa (a la Little and Lewis) and try some shade with the biggest hosta I can find.

But I know I'm a hostaholic, because I had to up the size of PODS to move south, because I was putting HOSTA into the PODS.

And, I've been in zone denial ever since I returned to south Alabama. Then I had this terrible nightmare about the zone being CHANGED TO Z9A!!!! Dear hubby said I was screaming in my sleep about something.

And I'm considering ways to hang shade cloth over the hosta beds when it gets really hot this summer.

...as well as laying irrigation pipe so I won't cop out on adequately watering these thirsty babies....and hauling in two small dumptruck loads of soil so they will flourish. Never did that for any of my plants before.

And when I mention HOSTA to my friends at home, they all ask, "What is that?" And I begin to tell them but their eyes sort of glaze over.

o

You know your a hostaholic when your favorite niece and god daughter calls to tell you she is engaged and planning a June wedding and you gently guide her so that her wedding does not conflict with the national hosta convention in Nashville.

-Beverly

o

Mocassin, about that Empress Wu on the column, I wrote that for fun. :). Actually my Wu loves shade. :(
Bernd

o
RE: 10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic...

bump

o

Would you be a hostaholic if you divide albo marginatas and put them and all green seedlings outside the fence as " sacrificial" hostas for the deer to eat so they might leave your expensive cultivars alone?

o

Okay, okay Myrle! I could maybe be slightly showing the signs but it really is all your fault. I had three of those green ones under some weeds before I really knew what they were last year and so now am up to over the 100 mark.BUT does that make me a hostaholic... well maybe. I guess I better dig up more grass and find space for my 48 new ones before Myrle gets back from her sisters and we all have to go "just look" in Kelowna. At least I have quit buying more shoes!

o

Mary said:..when you photograph, ruminate, discuss and document the characteristics of any unnamed hosta in your garden

Hmmmm, I think that has to be my current state of mind.
I truly enjoyed reading through this entire thread. Ah man, too many of them strike HOME.

Too true, too true.

And you are a hostaholic when it relaxes you to think of good hosta names.

o
RE: 10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic....

You know your a hostaholic when...

You go all Macgyver and construct something really strange 22' down the side of your garage using an old dog kennel just to make more shade so you can plant more hosta.

You know your a hostaholic when...

Your neighbors no longer wonder what you are doing. They all know.

o

You know you're a hostaholic when......

1) You're the first customer to call the irrigation system dudes every spring to get your system turned on.

2) You worry more about HVX than AIDS, SARS, H1N1 and Ebola combined.

3) Your have to alert your credit card company in advance of making a large online hosta purchase to avoid triggering the "Fraud Protection Department" verification phone calls.

4) The thought of going on your much-anticipated 10th anniversary trip this summer suddenly has you worried because you realize the 30 new hostas you just ordered will be home all alone that week.

o

You go out in a driving rain and hail storm to cover your hosta so they won't get holes in them.

o

bkay, I saw the hail on the news here. Wow. Hope the hostas (and you, of course) came though unscathed. Those pictures were horrifying and they said the hail was the size of golf balls.

Just got my order from Chris (Hallson's). I think they are the most amazing ones I have received-they are huge eyes and the roots...wowohwow. Awaiting my orders from Jim's and from Rob (Lakeside). You know you are a hostaholic when you arrive home from getting a haircut, so your hair looks decent for the first time in months and you still stick on a baseball cap and head out to dig hole for the new arrivals! Happy, happy.

o

You get one of those spiffy new Smartphones and the first app you go searching for is hosta-related. About once a month you do a new search just in case.
Gayle

o

Every March your knees are bruised and bloody from crawling on frozen ground during the annual pip search.

Despite comments from your neighbors and Social Services about how thin your children have become, you continue to steal their lunch money to pay for one more Hallson's order.

At a job interview you are asked which great American you admire the most and you reply "Ken Adrian".

o

harryshoe, good ones! LOL
Cher

o

In the morning, right after you wake up, the first thing you do, even before the coffee is ready, you sign on to the internet and go to a favorite hosta site to get the latest hosta news and weather.

o

.....if your yard looks like Frank's when there is danger of frost!

harryshoe -- love your additions to the list

bernd -- do you have OTHER favourite hosta sites? (Actually perhaps I'm better off not knowing!)
Jan

o

LOL Harryshoe-those are perfect!

o

Jan, I became a member of the American Hosta Society, and love their Hosta Journals and advice about growing hosta seedlings, carry those publications actually in my car for reading when waiting for something. I also frequent the Hosta Seed Growers Forum and have some interesting seedlings growing in my basement which I admire often.
I am also a member of my local hosta society and should go to all of their meetings. Then soon in my zone 5 all local nurseries will have hostas for sale, and certainly I will frequent those sites.
Bernd

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you're run out of room to put your newly purchased hostas because the last frost date is still 6 weeks away:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Gesila has me beat, hands down.

bkay

o

Bernd -- I just recently joined the AHS and am anxiously waiting for my first print edition (enjoyed the on line one).

Gesila -- looks like you will be EATING OUT until you can have your kitchen back!
Jan

o

Another good reason for being a hostaholic! ;)

o

time to bump this one

o

When you purchase 6 Orange Marmalade, 2 Redstone Falls Heuchera in 2 1/2 Quart containers only to bring them home and realize you either need to make a new bed (not this year) or get rid of some hosta....NEVER. So you end up giving these, not so inexpensive, plants to your daughter.

o

I realize everyone else here in this site is a hostaholic but some are still in denial and have just started a couple small gardens and now have close to the 200 mark but I really am not like you sick people lol Am I Myrle???!!

o

When you clean off your desk and find last fall' hosta wamt list, and look up every one of them on HL to see if you still want them.....and find five more to add.

And you're always optimistic, next yer there won't be a drought and all the groundhogs will go over the rainbow bridge and there won't be any cutworms.......

Where's my shovel, I need to dig a new bed!

Sandy

o

time for another bump up.. we dont want this one to disappear into the ether ...

ken

o

But I am NOT a 'hostaholic'. Really. It's my wife. SHE started it when one of her sisters gave her 3 'K-Mart' hostas and told her to plant them in the shade back in '95.

She's one of the ones who pestered GardenWeb until they added this forum.

She's the one who buys new ones when there's no new beds to plant them in.

She's the one who ran 'Michigan Hosta Mania' to meet more like her.

She's the one who converted an entire room in the basement to shelves with lights for winter seedlings.

She's the one who had me extend the electric fence to provide more room for seedlings out in the forest.

She's the one with all the sticky-notes throughout the pages of the Hosta books (at least I have an idea for Birthday and Anniversary gifts).

She's the one who registered 12 Hosta.

She's the one willing to go out in the dark with a flashlight and soapy water jar to slug-pick.

She's the one with pictures of almost every Hosta here, for every year it's been here.

She's the one who will have visitors bring leaves of NOIDS to try to help I.D.

She's the one who will tell visitors what bed 'so-and-so' Hosta is in without having to refer to my database.

She's the one who specifies what rock goes where in the border of a bed.

She's the one who adds 'pick up curbside bagged leaves' to my honeydew list every fall.

She's the one with every copy of the AHS Journal since she started this.

She's the one who demands that all the pathways are freshly raked each Spring so visitors won't miss them and step in the beds.

She's the one with the big stack of folded boxes to cover spring frost endangered Hostas.

She's the one who had me teach her how to use our GPS to measure the total garden area.

She's the one who directs me which branches to limb, which trees to remove for beds without enough light.

Did I mention that SHE is the hostaholic?

Now I'm going to be thinking of a bunch more reasons whilst I'm trying to get to sleep tonight, darn.

As for me, I'm merely an 'enabler', but THAT is entirely new thread. Anyone want to start it? Here's a simple example of 'enabling':

'Say Hon, since you bought a 'Peanut', howz aboutz we git a 'Goober'? That actually worked for me!

Evil, huh?

hh

o

*grin*
~ evil hh? I think the family that hostas together is in Heaven.

Gisela had me beat hand's down, too (lol) but I've got all the symptoms, incl.checking hosta leaves by flashlight. Those poor worrisome neighbors...

o

Les is the hostaholic, and I know it when I see him snooping Bobbi's hosta beds with clipboard and camera in hand.
Thanks Ken for bumping this one. I missed it first time around because I wasn't hanging out much then. Les didn't like me chasing him out of the chair by the computer. Now I am no longer a lurker you've made me get my own id. Les booted me off of his when you teased him about being a woman.
Theresa

o

now theresa is terri ...

my God woman.. how many handles do you have ... lol ...

i figured there might be some new peeps who would enjoy this ...

ken

o

Bump - some late winter reading.

Paul

o

You know your a hostaholic when your niece, (the one just married) buys a new house and you wonder what hosta you will bring as a house warming present.

Beverly

PS: Good call Paul.

o

....when you're on a road trip seeing wonderful things like the Grand Canyon, but you take along your laptop and check into the hosta forum every day in case you're missing something great!
Jan

o

Does it mean something, that I've taken to closely observing Asian gardens (Chinese, Japanese) looking for signs of hosta?

o

bump

ken

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you're no longer worried what the township will say now that you've started planting hostas in the park behind your home:

photo ThePark20120509_zps0289ad58.jpg

This post was edited by Gesila on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 2:51

o

You might be a Hostaholic if......You're not a Rebublican, but 'George W.' is one of your all-time favorites!

Don B.

o

You know you're a Hostaholic when you have your new hosta order in the kitchen sink and your family doesn't see that as odd anymore.

Paul

o

LOL Paul!

o

This was posted recently and I think it definitely belongs...

You might be a hostaholic if..........working in the garden you come across a hosta you have no recollection ever buying or planting.

It's called the Hosta Lost Weekend and it often happens in the fall as you rush to get that last hosta fix.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lost Weekend

o

Tears rolling down my face! Paul that's a great one!

o

- You know you're a hostaholic when you have more pictures of your hosta than you do your children and grandchildren.

- You know you're a hostaholic when you plan your vacations around your bare root deliveries.

- You know you're a hostaholic when you turn over your ‘Welcome’ sign and paint ‘GO AWAY’

- You know you're a hostaholic when you throw your nursery pots in the neighbors trash so no one knows how much you spend on hosta.

- You know you're a hostaholic when someone asks you what you’re doing Saturday night and you say, Waiting for next weeks hosta delivery.

o

Hostas or a Bra? Hmmmm, definitely in the top 10 (just love that thread). WW

o

You have over a hundred hosta and you know every one of their names. Yet, despite having only three grand children, you continue to call them by the wrong name. Not to mention forgetting your anniversary and DW's birthday.

o

LOL

o

haha harryshoe! I think the problem here is that the grandkids move about so much!! The hostas stay in their places, and location helps me remember their names! Get the kids to line up in order - problem solved.
Jan

o

This possibly may be the one that funnthsun is looking for. If not it still is a hoot to read over again. Discribes quite a few of us
Faye

o

Come back from Arizona sunshine to plant the seeds sent to me from Dansgrden. Hoping I can make them grow .

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 21:50

o

Thanks for diggin' this up again, Studmuffin Faye. This is a thread that all newbies MUST check out, and those of us who are not newbies should look at it at least one time every season (in my humble personal opinion)...Thanks to Paul J. for starting this thread way back on 06/14/2011. Paul's The Man, and his threads have led me to many wonderful hostas that are now happily maturing in my shaded garden areas

Now I'm gonna go re-read it once again...See what new stuff is in here...

Giddy Don B....; P

o

oops finally worked I see. Computer wants time off during growing season lol

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:56

o

Faye, that is fabulous that Dan so nicely offered you some of his seeds. Don't be too nervous, you'll get 'em going just find. I love seeing what Dan cooks up in his alcove of hybridizing wonders! I know you'll do well, Faye!

Don B.

o

You know you are a Hostaholic if you go through this whole thread when you just did that a few months ago!( which I just did but there might be some thing new)

o

A great thread to revive. I have read this....who knows how many times... and still laugh. But it makes me a bit sad that so many of the original contributors no longer show up on the forum. It's like losing old friends.
Jan

o

You know you're something when you comment that the dummy who can't remember the names his grand children sounds pretty close to home. Then, ten minutes later, you realize that you wrote the post!

o

You know your a Hostaholic when you ask your spouse and kids to give timely urine samples to use as pest control and even entertain the thought of asking your neighbors to donate! :-) just kidding
I need to go I'm a little thirsty!
Gary

o

You know you're a hosta addict when you just spent $1,325.00 on Hosta ‘Sharon Stone’ and think you got a good deal

o

LOL!

My husband walks in while I am reading this thread--he is wondering why I am laughing. He is reading over my shoulder, then, shaking his head says "yep--that's you, so is that, so is that, so is that...!"

I scrolled down to the bottom so I could post this, saw the previous post about Sharon Stone. My husband was watching with me when that auction was finishing. I know he was thinking "don't you EVER do that!" LOL

o

Okay everyone, I haven't been checking in here much lately. This thread is hilarious! I'm rather glad hubby and kids aren't here right now to read. Then again, they already know my symptoms! The general gardening one, boy did I laugh about the comment about 7' Japanese maples. Last fall I brought home two like that! Lol. I was rather concerned about what I would hear from hubby, but he didn't even notice them for a few weeks!

Two others to add: you might be addicted when you arrive home with a new load, and you're scanning the drive for hubby's vehicle before turning in, and try to decide if you should hide your new stash among the trees in the drive until he's not home.

You're married for 15yrs without a honeymoon, and when you take your first vacation, you drive 10+hrs to go to a major garden in the Montreal area, and tack on a very brief afternoon side trip to see old Quebec City since you're in the area. Yep, last summer!

o

"...and try to decide if you should hide your new stash among the trees in the drive until he's not home."

LOL That's hilarious!! : )

Don B.

o

C'mon, Don...try it just once....even though you don't have to....next time you come home from a nursery with scads of hosta in the car, pretend you are skulking around and hide them...I kid you not, you will giggle!!!

The only problem is....if you hide too many or hide them too well, you may not find one till a few days later...lol. Yup, happened to me.....I just got tired of people asking " where are you going to plant them"? So now I just briskly move them out of sight ASAP till planting time. "Oh, I've had these for some time...I like to pick them up and play with them for awhile before I finally plant them".

o

Well, Jo, I HAVE intercepted a couple of boxes on the front porch, before UPS or US Postal Service could ring the doorbell. I then potted them up or planted them ASAP before my DW saw me. She didn't know I ordered them. You may ask: What happened when see saw the bill/charges on the bank statements?

Happily, that's not an issue. I made these particular purchases with money orders. Heh heh heh heh heh...I guess that's a pretty good sign I'm a hostaholic. : P

Don B.

P.S. And yes, it was fun to do. : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 21:19

o

Don, your coy and sly diversionary tactics remind me of one of my life long FAVORITE writers/humorists, James Thurber. He had or still has in his books the sort of humor you seem to appreciate.

Your money order technique for payment....that, my friend, takes it to the level of PREMEDITATED ..... hehehehehe, we can take notes from Don B, THE MASTER OF SUBTERFUGE.

Anyway, Mr. Thurber is enjoying a renewed popularity with the remake of a movie THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, a story written by James Thurber. I forget who plays Mitty in the remake, but Danny Kaye starred in the musical version of it which I saw back in 1947... Thurber was a book author, magazine writer, a cartoonist, and a staffer of The New Yorker doing much like Andy Borowitz does today. Check him out at your library.

o

Following a severe ice storm and single digit temps, there are thousands of people nearby who have been without power for three days and counting.

The most sympathetic thought you can muster is: "I hope this won't affect the hosta".

I'm only kidding.

o

bump

o

Best thread ever! A few more:

You know you're a hostaholic when you realize you are unable to give a simple answer when asked how many Hostas you have.

- You have one number for unique Hostas, another (much larger) number that includes duplicates/multiples, and you are not sure whether to include sports and seedlings in with the first number or the second number...

- Then of course there are the hostas you have ordered that have not yet arrived, and the hostas in your cart on several websites that you have not yet (officially) purchased.

- You have to bite your lip and avoid eye contact when your DH suggests you should stop buying more Hosta once you reach 100 -- because you can't reveal are WAY past that ...

- You bunch newly acquired hostas as compactly together as possible so they don't look like so many until you can get them in the ground. There are 23 Hostas in this cart, but a true hostaholic believes her DH will not estimate it as more than 8.

- You need a cart to haul your Hostas around.

- You read posts like this with tears in your eyes, your LOLs wake the dog up, and you're just grateful there's nobody else around to hear you.

o

OMG, Marta, beautifully written, precisely TRUE to the last tiny detail!

I thank you for that one. I think you have the same kind of wagon, but tricked out with a watering can and a spade laid "just so" and of course that is a simple EIGHT HOSTA in there....right again. ....sigh. glad you said it, Going to read that to my DH! He will love it too.

o

You read posts like this with tears in your eyes, your LOLs wake the dog up, and you're just grateful there's nobody else around to hear you

--==>>> best homage EVER!!!!!!

ken

o

You know you're a hostaholic when you place a large order with several hosta retailers and ask them not to send a bill with your order. :)

When you volunteer to do relief work in a different state for work as this area is close to a prime hosta retailer. (I'm leaving tomorrow lol)

You can't remember what you did yesterday but have instant recall when it comes to your 'hosta wish list'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here