Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Repotting Giant Parhelion

As some of you may know, I have a large Parhelion that was growing in a 13" clay pot under my Japanese Maple. This plant has been in this pot about 6 years.

Well last night I decided to move the pot from under the tree since it seemed like it was getting too crowded. I struggled to pick up the pot and move it and managed to get it out of the garden and then the bottom fell off the pot. Sooo...now I was stuck with a big plant in a bottomless clay pot. Couldn't leave it like that too long or those roots would take hold in the ground.

I thought about planting it directly in the ground but I don't really have a big enough shady space for that monster, so today I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home from work and picked up a large 23" X 23" plastic pot. It is a cute blue color and looks like a ceramic pot but isn't. It was only about $28.

Then came the fun part...how to get the plant into the new pot. With some help from my 24 yr old son, we put some new potting soil mixed with pine bark in the bottom the pot to bring it up to the right level and then picked up the clay pot and sat it inside the new pot. Then he broke the clay pot with a hammer and pulled out the pieces and added soil to the sides of the plant.

I think he looks very nice in his new pot. I don't know how long he will be able to stay in this pot but it works for now. He measures almost 5' across at this point.

Here are some pictures of Parhelion in the new pot now sitting on the deck under the gazebo.

Boy am I glad that job is done. It is 96 degrees outside right now and too hot to be doing that much work.

Linda

Before the move

New pot

Comments (17)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

What a handsome fellow - doesn't look as though he minded the move at all. Pot is nice too! Job well done. Thanks son!
    Jan

• coll_123
    10 years ago

It looks lovely in the new pot...and amazing that it reached that large size in a 13" pot, too. Good job!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Whooo that's a big boy! Great plant, nice new pot, too.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Wow. All I can comment is, that Parhelion knew you loved him because he looks so well tended with perfect leaves. Otherwise he'd have croaked. Nice to have a son helping with the heavy stuff.

Do you think it will grow even wider? In a pot? Oh my, that sure does set off alarm bells because my hosta are in pots almost entirely, some are large or XL or Giant, and I always thought the pot would limit the size.

Oops. Slight miscalculation. ;)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Nice looking plant and the pot is really fantastic.It does look like ceramic.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Linda. . what a handsome fella!! Not only is that pot great for him but it complements the yellow in front. . .NICE!!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

One of my favorites, your Parhelion looks lovely in the pot. How wonderful that your son helped you get it repotted!

Love the blue pot.

Gesila

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. He certainly is a big boy and I am betting he is going to get bigger in the new pot. The original pot was 13" wide x 15" deep and now he has much more room to grow. I guess we will find out next year.

Mocc, All I can say is Ya better be lookin for some bigger pots LOL, I too had read that a pot would limit the size and maybe it has? Maybe it would have been bigger in the ground. My Sum and Substance is planted in the ground and is bigger than Parhelion but it is also much older.

I also have a few more large plants that are planted in pots but probably have a few more years before they will be really big. I have been watching the shade patterns in my yard to try and figure out where would be a good spot to make a new garden.

Thanks again,
    Linda

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Tropic lover,My Parhelion grows in the ground,under no overhead shade,and gets a lot of afternoon sun,and it has always grown very well. They can take more sun than you think! As for pots being root-bound in a pot,I bought a Old Glory hosta last year,and when I took it out of the pot it was so root-bound,I couldn't believe it could have lived in that pot so long, There was no more planting medium left,and I had to straighten out the roots for quite a while before I could even plant it. Well I did plant it,and this year it is twice as big in its new home in the garden! Phil

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Your dog in the first photo is it a Schipperke? I hope it is spelled right?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My dog in the picture is an American Eskimo Dog. I also have a Siberian Husky. Here's a pic of my babies :)

Linda

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful dogs.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I love American Eskimos. They are great little dogs. We had one across the alley for years. She loved the DH. He took her treats every day. Great Dogs!

Oh yeah, that's a beautiful hosta.

I, too, hope the pot helps control the size of the hosta. My biggest one, Sum and Substance, was set back when the darling demon doglet knocked it over several times last year. It came back smaller this year, which didn't hurt my feelings.

That American Eskimo is a beauty, too.

bk

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your nice comments. I love dogs and these two are pretty fun. We adopted the Husky from the shelter a little over a year ago and she has turned out to be a really good dog. The Eskimo is my baby and he follows me everywhere. Such a sweetie!

Bkay- I also have Sum and Substance in the ground and it is at least 6 feet across. I gave my daughter a small chunk of it this year and she also has it planted in a pot. She lives in a townhouse and only has a small patio. I bet it's not long before it gets really big too.

How big was your Sum and Substance and how big is the pot?

This leaves me wondering exactly how big can a hosta get when grown in a pot? Parhelion is the biggest plant I've ever had in a pot. I love it though!

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW, this plant would certainly block the exit. Ha ha can't put it to close to the house.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW, this plant would certainly block the exit. Ha ha can't put it to close to the house.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, TropicLover, you for sure would block the exits with that one!
    Glad I read all the way down the thread so I could laugh at it.

But what I'm quoting is from earlier in the thread.....
    you said, " I have been watching the shade patterns in my yard to try and figure out where would be a good spot to make a new garden.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about watching the shade patterns. The other day, I sat quite still on the sun porch steps studying the movement of shade and sun across this newly rejuvenated flower bed on the south of my driveway, which catches the afternoon sun.

Where else but gardening could sitting there, watching and studying the lengthening shadows, the sun intruding further beneath the leafy shrubs, .....where else could it be an ACTIVITY?

It reached 101 today here, in the shade. Studying shade is a very important aspect of keeping our gardens alive, and in conserving water. I'm sure we will begin hearing more and more about that as the summer kicks off.

Glad to hear you are watching the shade too.