Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becke52

Winter losses

becke52
10 years ago

Did anyone else here on the prairie lose an abnormal number of hostas this year? I'm so sad to say I've lost my Bressingham Blue, Sun Power, and one of my Frances Williams. (The other, as of today, has one two inch leaf on it.) I also lost my Big Daddy. All were on the north side, near the house foundation. I don't know if they will still come up at this late stage of the game. On the plus side, I did also buy a big honkin' T Rex.

Comments (6)

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I only lost one that was in the ground (Rosedale Genevieve). I lost 10 or so that were in pots that I paid a ton of money for. This is the first year that I lost any, pots or in the ground.

Gesila

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I also lost several that were in pots and not sufficiently protected for winter. And I had a few in ground ones that came up stunted abd weird for unknown reasons. I think it was a harsh winter for many of us.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I lost a few that I had planted last spring and were having a struggle getting established with the drought, never did well and didn't come back this year. Lost one or two that had been here for a long time, but there again I blame the drought in the summer and not the winter, which was mild here. Just prolonged. ''

The ones I planted last fall all came up this spring growing well, but some of my older ones literally shrank, to about half their former size, due to the heat and drought. Hope they will regain their growth this year, or maybe next.

Sandy

• netcub
    10 years ago

I lost a big Rhino Hide... But A tiny tissue culture of it survived...

Also lost Totally Awe-sum and probably wont replace it.

• User
    10 years ago

So sad. I lost about 10 over the winter. Only one or two of those were due to rot, the rest were to the squirrels digging them out and the whole thing disappeared. Mostly the small things.

My DH is very busy doctoring his veggie garden today, he found a nest of borer eggs, or slug eggs, I'm not sure which, in his peppers and yellow squash. I do not know if that is why I lost two hosta within the last week, with the leaves cut off at the base and the crown just ate up. It made me sick. We are both doing the ammonia 1:10 treatment to stop this quickly.

We are hitting 100 this week, according to the thermometer under my potting umbrella, it was 101 yesterday in the shade. I cannot deal with all of that heat anymore. I don't want the hosta to deal with it either. We walk a fine line to keep the hosta thriving.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

I lost almost all of my hostas I had potted and a few in the ground. It has not been a good year for me.

Karen

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!