Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Driveway hostas...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Well,not really ON the driveway,but real close! Take a look. My actual garden is behind the fence,and down about thirty feet! Phil

Comments (16)

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Phew, I thought you were going to say name all the hostas (if any) we've thrown on the driveway. Think someone just posted a thread about duds. Now, your pic is what I call a sloooow drive by. Good one! WW

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

WW,the ones you can see are;Undulata albomarginatas,a Gold Standard,and Cathedral Windows. There are more up the way,but you can't tell what they are in his pic. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful natural use of the hosta.....and that settles it for me. The one Undulata Albomarginata that I brought down south from MA has to be put in the ground by our driveway. Perfect thing to do.

DH wanted to know what kind of hosta was I going to put in the bed with it. So I said immediately, "...we'll get some special hosta for there." (like the rest of my WISH list for this spring)

The bed is along the driveway, 16' x 55 feet, but not empty of all life. My palms are there, a couple of cassia, daylilies, tub of asparagus fern....but in the cool end of the bed, beneath the sheltering palms, will go the specially chosen hosta. How glorious to find more space.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

This is going to sound silly, but I like the way the hosta play off your fence, very natural looking and great use of space.

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

I have to apologize to you, I just realized I've taken a screen name that awfully close to yours...wasn't copying you, I swear!

Would you like me to change my screen name? Or we can go by Freak and Frenzy, lol

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I SAID!!!! .. on the driveway...

how in the heck did you miss it???

lol

all systems go for your MI adventure???

ken

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments,everyone! Ken,everything is stil a go for the trip to your place. It won't be long now. I am going up the driveway even farther in the future and put in more hostas. Right now there is some old scraggly arborvitae there,which has long outlived their usefulness,and they were here when we moved here. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

PHIL,
    Be sure to take your camera with extra batteries, so you can take umpteen pictures of Ken's garden. It is an opportunity of a lifetime, and I sure wish I could tag along. Have a glass of lemonade, and watch you all do the walkabout while I zoom in with a telephoto lens from the comfort of a shade covered patio.

Ahhh, pure Michigan!

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Phil. . .I like this effect! Woe unto the first person with bad backing skills!! lol

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Very nice Phil, I don't think I've ever seen that part of your garden. How about some pic's of the deck which I vaguely remember having some potted hostas on it. Have fun on your trip. I'm jealous. Are you seeing Janice?

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Myrle,this is actually outsidde the garden,but it has always been a place where it had good conditions for hosta. Morning sun,and some afternoon sun,with shade during the heat of the day from overhead trees. We hope to see Janice on the way through Ohio,but I guess I'm going to have to call her,as she doesn't ever look at her E-mails. My deck has one hosta in a pot,but it's hardly worth photography. I am in ht e process of planting hostas in front of the house,where we had some old Azaleas,which were getting pretty bad,so I tore them out,regardless of the fact that I like Azeleas. There was already a Gold Standard there from long ago and it was always being crowded by the Azaleas. I went out to the garden and dug up another of my mant Gold Standards,and planted it in the new place,and it didn't hardly even wilt! I've never lost any of my Gold Standards. You can't kill them! they are true 'driveway hostas'! I also planted a Sky Pencil holly right near the deck,between the deck and the old Gold Standard. Maybe some day I'll post a pic of the new area. Phil

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Cities are always trying to come up with new 'traffic calming measures' to slow speed - I think you have the ultimate solution! I would certainly slow down. Is there a bumper sticker for that??
    Jan

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Phil, Maybe you should purchase one of those drones Leafwatcher was talking about. Ask Ken for a beer or something and when he's out of sight let the thing rip. Just sayin.....WW

• User
    10 years ago

"I brake for hosta" ..... right up there with "Don't block the exit."

Ken probably has some bird shot in his shotgun for the likes of a drone hovering around his garden.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh,I forgot about you,hostafrenzy. Fagetaboutit! As they would say up in NY city,a place I've never been! There's even a guy on the forum who goes by lsuhostafreak,but he came after me,also. No,you don't have to change your posting name. Phil

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago