Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dougald_gw

Almost Heaven

dougald_gw
10 years ago

This weekend, I had the privilege of seeing Don Budd's personal garden. Don is the proprietor of Budd's Gardens, probably the premier hosta retailer in the Ottawa area.

I took a few pics of his collection of more than 400 mature hostas set out in a garden that he refers to as almost heaven.

Photobucket doesnt seem to like me - thinks I want to upload from my camera ... so I will post the pics one at a time using browse starting with an overview or two and then just a few closer shots to give your the idea of this wonderful garden.

Doug

Comments (18)

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don erected some pergolas for shade

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bow some detailed shots

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another tease

• irawon
    10 years ago

Dougald, I was there on Saturday. You did a great job capturing the beauty of his gardens. I posted some individual hosta pics in an earlier post about 'Orange Marmalade'.

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and last a single magbificent speciman taken from a balcony

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon ... I was also there saturday visiting between showers. It was not the first time I had seen Don's wonderful garden but I would not miss an opportunity to view it ... Doug

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Wow! I'd say that is just a little piece of heaven. Magnificent, thanks so much for sharing. If I'm lucky one day I'll be able to view there in person.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Oh wow! I wish I could see it in person... what fun that must have been! It's absolutely beautiful!

Thanks for posting.
    Linda

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

A beautiful garden to tour. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

Dougald, that beautiful specimen of Dream Weaver in your last pic blew my mind away. Every single hosta in his garden was perfect.

Don's hosting visits the next 2 weekends too if anyone wants to go. You just have to phone his shop for an appointment time.That means there aren't too many people in his yard at a time, so he can give you lots of attention if you have questions.

Jan ON, if you read this and you're heading to Budd's next month as you indicated in another thread, you might want to phone ahead to ask if you can see his garden. He's offered to give me private tours on a couple of occasions. He's a very nice man.

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great shots of the hosta individually and also the long view of the gardens. Your shots of the pergolas for shade give me a chance to print them out for my DH as a project for our western exposure and too much hot sun in late afternoons. They are exactly what I want, to complete the 4th side of a courtyard. Our grassy areas are getting smaller and smaller every year! :)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

What a great tour! And thanks for the tip irawon - I'll be within driving distance for most of the summer, but not early enough to take advantage of his scheduled tours. So perhaps a call could extend his hospitality!
    Jan

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful plants in a beautiful setting,but it looks like an awful lot of weeding,to me. Does he have a whole crew to weed every day? It definitely is easier,when you are on flat ground. Phil

• dougald_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil ... Don mulches his garden heavily with the brick red mulch you can see in the photos. He told me he doesn't do much weeding though he did admit that his battle with slugs is a losing one late in the summer.

Don is a real gentleman, proud of his garden and I have benefitted from a private tour in the past. He also is very knowledgeable and quite willing to share his knowledge.

That Dream Weaver (that I got a pic of from a balcony about 15 feeet above the plant) is the largest DW I have ever seen.

Doug

• irawon
    10 years ago

Dougald, I was so impressed with Don's hostas that I might go back for a second time to take more pictures. Sorry I missed you last Saturday. It would have been fun to meet you.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

How beautiful and what a treat to see. I've thought about ordering from Budd Gardens but somehow haven't done it yet. Those of you close enough to visit these places are very lucky. I'd love to wander around there.