Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steeltowninwv

Best place to order one single hosta

steeltowninwv
9 years ago

Gonna order me June hosta. What's best place to order to get nice sized hosta. ?

Comments (12)

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Famous last words: "I'm only gonna buy one hosta."

Hostas are like potato chips--you can never be satisfied with just ONE!

And you can get nice sized hostas at Hallsons, Naylor Creek, IntheCountry, New Hampshire Hosta, Hostas Direct, and any number of other fine places online.

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh no just one this time..i have gotten 3 or 4 the last few weeks..but I really like june

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

It might not be cost-effective to order a single plant because of the shipping charges involved. For instance, Naylor Creek charges $10 in shipping costs for a minimum of 6 plants. You may want to see if your local nursery has any in stock.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

Steeltown, like Esther sez, several really good places. I recommend that you call them personally to make sure they have a good many available or sell larger sizes.

The ones I've seen 2 gallon size or "clumps" mentioned are Mason Hollow in NH, Hornbaker in ......(um, what state?)....and then "half pint" size at Bridgewood in Virginia I think....maybe clumps too, I forget all of them. But several threads on the forum about the regular online places folks shop if size is not PRIMARY.

There is a neat publication spiral bound called Hosta Finder 2014 is the latest one. It really helps and costs $20. That's how I found where to buy all the hosta in my garden! :)

And every hosta ordered needs a companion to travel with. I think nurseries send a "gift" plant with the shipments for that reason.. the gift is a Hosta, of course.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it might be one.. where LAND OF THE GIANTS .... might send you a yugo sized plant ... i would TALK to him ... key word there: TALK ... not zing.. twing.. bing.. twit .. etc .. TALK ...

i cant believe you have no hosta dealers in WV ... this is such a common hosta ...

ken

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my local nurseries seem to have...guacamole...sum and substance...touch of class...france...frances Williams....hayclon....and that's about it..i have them all already...I kinda live in a not so populated area...I did drive to a city about 60 miles away..and found several..but most were 30 bucks or so..and weren't that large...and dint find june..june is the one I want badly

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

Hallson's is sold out of June. Naylor Creek and NGP would be good choices. NGP has a lot of affordable plants, and you get a freebie with order. (I'd probably throw in a couple of their under $10 hosta, while I was ordering...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Grown Perennials

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Bridgewood hosta's is located in Northern Virginia and ships. I have bought wonderful plants from him and I know he has June in stock. If you're looking to be enabled Bridgewood Gardens is having their last open house this coming weekend. He has such beautiful plants and is a really nice guy, worth the road trip for sure. Bridgewood Garden's also ships.

Hallson's also ships gorgeous field grown hosta's with monster root systems as well.

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bridgewoods web site says june is out of stock

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Made in the Shade in KS also carries this, for $10. It's in stock right now. I've bought many hostas from them and they are conscientious.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

The problem with ordering just one hosta is that many of the on-line outlets have a minimum order am't. For instance, NGP has a $35 min order; Green Mountain has a $25 min order.

NGP's shipping charge is pricey (if you live outside the upper Midwest) BUT you get nice hostas AND you submit a list of suggested hostas for your bonus hosta. I got a huge, multi-eyed Love Pat as a bonus last year.

Green Mtn. shipping is a flat rate $10; orders over $100 ship free. I've never rec'd a bonus plant from Green Mtn. The plants I have rec'd have always been very decent sized & healthy. (The Fujibotan that I got from them is a dud, though, because the blooms don't open.)

I would strongly suggest that you get at least one hosta Touch of Class as a June companion. (I love TOC, June not so much.) And if you love Halcyon and are coveting June, then you oughta' consider some of the rest of family...Touch of Class, El Nino, First Frost, Autumn Frost, Sleeping Beauty....all are just outstanding hostas with good/ great substance & stay looking nice all summer and are among the very last to toss in the towel in the late fall.

• User
    9 years ago

CiLantro, don't intend to take the topic off, but I ordered a Fujibotan from Green Mt in 2012 and again in 2014. My first one bloomed in 2013 and is now again blooming in 2014. I'll have to find the newer one, which is not closeby the older one. It is a double flower, and it needs sun to bloom well. Maybe yours will do better this year.

June 14, 2014

and July 3 2013

and here is #2 Fujibotan new in 2014. Still immature.