Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coll_123

Manhattan and a favorite combo

coll_123
10 years ago

The sun was hitting Manhattan today just right and highlighted the unique texture so I wanted to share a pic. This is a favorite of mine and the only one whose flowers I actually look forward to..

And I'm really liking these three next to each other- Sea Gulf Stream, Ripple Effect in the pot up front, and Touch of Class. Unfortunately I don't have enough room in this bed to combine them in a permanent arrangement...gotta figure something out. The one in the back pot is Sleeping Beauty, which is recovering from winter damage and is very stunted this year.

Comments (10)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Love that Manhattan!

Linda

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Coll, that Manhattan is beautiful. I love the look of it, but it is listed as cupped and many of the photos looked cupped.

I passed it up at one of the neighborhood nurseries. They had it in a gorgeous 3 gallon pot.

Yours doesn't look very cupped. My pecan tree never stops dropping debris, so cupped is a problem. Where did you get yours?

That is such a beautiful hosta, though. I'm jealous.

bk

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Manhattan is definitely on my short list! Yours is beautiful!

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bk, I got mine at NH hostas, as that is close enough for me to drive to. Nearly everything they sell are in small pots with only one or two eyes, but I gotta say, everything I have purchased there has done really well for me. I remember that I went there looking for lakeside Ripples, but the owner told me to get Manhattan instead, which I hadn't heard of at the time. I came home with it and looked it up and was disappointed that is was described as very slow, but that hasn't been the case. I do not consider it cupped at all...but like any hosta other than the reverse cupped ones, it will collect tree stuff to some degree.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Lets see, where is my list for fall....ah yes. Addiing Manhattan. This is gonna be expensive! Unless I can find it at Hilltop Farm tomorrow.......

Sandy

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wow, Manhattan is gorgeous! I like the arrangement in the second pic, too. The colour of the blue pots looks great with those hostas.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Col, very nice arrangements. I think I'm going to go shopping for some blue pots. I like how you have yours with a pot within a pot. Do you keep the blue pots in the garden during the winter?

Going hosta shopping tomorrow Sandy? How exciting! I was lucky with my Manhattan find... $8.99. I checked the nursery where I bought mine and they are out of it.

Gesila

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, I try to flip the pots over, but at the very least, I keep them empty. At the end of the season i lift the hosta out of the ceramic pot and bury the nursery liner in the ground. As long as they are not filled with potting soil that freezes and expands, they seem to do fine in the winter. I bought most of my glazed pots at a chain store here in New England that sells a lot of close out or overstock stuff. The prices are great...hard to resist. I try to group the pots in my garden together by color or similarity, as well.

• User
    10 years ago

I broke down and ordered Manhattan in a 2 gallon size from Mason Hollow (along with Venus to keep it company on the road). Then I broke down and ordered Key West from Hallson and added Fantasy Island to keep IT company. A couple of weeks ago I got Mississippi Delta and Mardi Gras and Blue Hawaii, and I realized I needed to get those other two major players too. Oh, I ordered a few others too, but that is another story.

One of my neighbors came over today around noon, and wanted to walk the hosta garden. It was so hot we were dripping wet, and I'd wanted to have it cooled and serene back there instead of steaming when this neighbor came. Even as it was, she was impressed and will be back to sit and chat with me about the fragrant hosta. Aha, another fan of fragrant hosta, just down the street! Wait until they start blooming!

• coll_123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My hat is off to you, Moccasin!!! If it gets into the eighties here I feel like I am melting, and my hostas act like it too. It's all what you are used to, I guess.

I have never ordered from Mason Hollow- i'd give them a try if I wasn't totally out of room as it is.... a 2 gallon size sounds great.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths