Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Fragrant Queen

Babka NorCal 9b
11 years ago

I got this as a small one eyed division in 2009. The roots got so big it went into a one gal pot in 2010. It remains still, just one eye, but yowza, that eye is 1.5" thick at the base, so it is growing. Does anyone have a multi-eyed Fragrant Queen? It must be something to behold.

-Babka

{{gwi:1042478}}

Comments (9)

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Obviously, it's not fast. Sorry, I can't help. Mine is brand new.

bkay

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! How do those white edges stand up to sun? Do they burn?

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Very nice. Do the margins stay cream color?

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Very nice. Do the margins stay cream color?

Paul

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All my hostas are shaded in some way here in California (near San Jose). This one is in an atrium with 50% shade cloth over 2x2's. I'm about at the same latitude as southern Illinois, but since we get no rain, we have very few clouds. No hostas would be able to live here without some shade. No people either, for that matter. ;-)

Maybe someone else is growing it where it gets some sun??

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Mine's just a baby. It hasn't developed the wide margins yet, but you can see that they are coming. This was planted last year as a starter plug, but it seems to be growing fine. Two eyes, but it's still a juvenile.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Paul-

I generally only take "school photos" once a year (thank you Moccasin for that description). The pic shown above was from 5/22/12 and just today I was putting names on them for my records and that one struck me as an eye catcher. I'll take one tomorrow, with a white edged Patriot nearby and see if there has been a color change. The description says it is a tetraploid and the leaves are indeed very thick.

-Babka

• User
    11 years ago

Hey, I am trying my new tablet which takes pics and I can upload them right away and then post. Hope it works.

I have TWO FQs, one in ground, one in a pot. If I'm successful, I have uploaded a fresh pic of both plants.
    . Hmmmm, there is no spot to click SHARE

• User
    11 years ago

Well, back to the drawing board. I did upload them to my Flickr, so using my regular computer, here they are. I'll work out the copy/paste thingy later on not in real time.

That one above is in the ground since May of 2010. One of the three which tested negative for HVX.

And here is the container from Seawright in Carlisle MA, which spent last winter in the south, and seems to have added an eye that I did not even notice until now.

(Aha, I know what I did wrong now. I was not signed in to GWeb on the tablet....does make a difference. )

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm