Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrant Queen

Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 20:24

I got this as a small one eyed division in 2009. The roots got so big it went into a one gal pot in 2010. It remains still, just one eye, but yowza, that eye is 1.5" thick at the base, so it is growing. Does anyone have a multi-eyed Fragrant Queen? It must be something to behold.

-Babka

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrant Queen

Obviously, it's not fast. Sorry, I can't help. Mine is brand new.

bkay

o

Gorgeous! How do those white edges stand up to sun? Do they burn?

o

Very nice. Do the margins stay cream color?

Paul

o

Very nice. Do the margins stay cream color?

Paul

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 22:37

All my hostas are shaded in some way here in California (near San Jose). This one is in an atrium with 50% shade cloth over 2x2's. I'm about at the same latitude as southern Illinois, but since we get no rain, we have very few clouds. No hostas would be able to live here without some shade. No people either, for that matter. ;-)

Maybe someone else is growing it where it gets some sun??

-Babka

o

Mine's just a baby. It hasn't developed the wide margins yet, but you can see that they are coming. This was planted last year as a starter plug, but it seems to be growing fine. Two eyes, but it's still a juvenile.

Fragrant Queen yr2

Steve

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 0:01

Paul-

I generally only take "school photos" once a year (thank you Moccasin for that description). The pic shown above was from 5/22/12 and just today I was putting names on them for my records and that one struck me as an eye catcher. I'll take one tomorrow, with a white edged Patriot nearby and see if there has been a color change. The description says it is a tetraploid and the leaves are indeed very thick.

-Babka

o

Hey, I am trying my new tablet which takes pics and I can upload them right away and then post. Hope it works.

I have TWO FQs, one in ground, one in a pot. If I'm successful, I have uploaded a fresh pic of both plants.
. Hmmmm, there is no spot to click SHARE

o

Well, back to the drawing board. I did upload them to my Flickr, so using my regular computer, here they are. I'll work out the copy/paste thingy later on not in real time.
IMG_20120612_135856

That one above is in the ground since May of 2010. One of the three which tested negative for HVX.

And here is the container from Seawright in Carlisle MA, which spent last winter in the south, and seems to have added an eye that I did not even notice until now.
IMG_20120612_135822

(Aha, I know what I did wrong now. I was not signed in to GWeb on the tablet....does make a difference. )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here