Painted some new markers...

leafwatcher
10 years ago

Here is a pic of the markers,

and the products I used...

Comments (10)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Those are so cool! I need to make some for my plants. I will have to go out and look for some nice rocks this weekend.

Thanks for the great idea!
    Linda

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I think I said in another thread that I prefer not to see plant markers in my garden, but I really like those. I like how they are all a little different...makes it kind of quirky, which is nice.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh boy, you are still doing the rocks. How is the first bunch of rock signs holding up? Those look really nice, you have mastered the art.

Did you buy your rocks? Or are those found objects? Rocks laying around are not something you ever find here. I'd have to buy the rocks.

Good job.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I'm a rock lover! I'm with Moc, wondering where you got your rocks.

Great job.

Gesila

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

You may find rocks like that on river/stream gravel bars.

• muktowngal
    10 years ago

Certainly can tell you have an artistic flair. Did you seal the rocks before you wrote on them and then seal the rocks again after writing?

How have the rocks held up for you?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Great job, now how about some blue jeans on the Fickle Blue Genes, raindrops on the Grace Like Rain, Stars on the Galaxy, moths on the, powder puff on the............?

Jon

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holey cow this has taken off !

First of all I did buy the rock at a landscape/garden center. I think they ran me around 1-2 bucks a piece.. which isn't bad considering how hard it is to lose them !

I tried to really clean the rocks off good before painting.. scrubbed in a water bucket with a brush.
    then I write on the names with the paint pens.. White on some dark stones,dark on some light ones.. Sometimes I decide it needs both.

Then I have cleared with the BEHR product above.. two coats .. I wait until the first coat is dry (hours, or overnight) I have had good multiple season results with that. I did however clear coat a few rocks with a spray enamel.. (forgot about the BEHR in the basement) The spray enamel did not hold up well. I will be redoing a few of those.

Jon you will laugh, I came so close to doing some planets and stars on galaxy ! hahahahah

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Love them, they are unique and 'natural'. How many seasons do you expect out of them? I see that you are the same zone as I am.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some that have been out three years, and still nice and readable..