Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta R Us (pic heavy)

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Last of the hosta are waking up (can't believe we are already in June). I think a few are still tiny pale pips. Talking with others there may be some setbacks on these last ones....too cold and wet. But vast majority are looking good/great.

Sitting Pretty - 2nd year

Lakeside Cupcake - 2nd year

Korean Snow

Carnival - usually drawstrings so badly on the first sets of leaves you can't see the margin. Late spring with no frosts have benefited a few.

Elizabeth Campbell - one of those hosta you have to enjoy early in spring before it greens up.

Velvet Moon - subtle colors

Geisha(Ani Machi) - likes the bright part of the garden.

Color Festival - looks like it settled in. Leaf shape has changed and pattern as well.

Royal Tiara - Another that seems to have liked the late spring. It's been slow to take hold.

Ben Vernooij - 2nd year, a First Frost sport. Supposed to be thicker leaves than Autumn Frost. Didn't have either when local society made it available. Great colors.

Kabitan

Rhino Hide - finally getting established, planted in 2010.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (15)

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    10 years ago

Those are handsome hostas, Paul. No sign of damage there, despite the backward spring. Even Carnival shows to advantage (I say "even" because the drawstring effect is something I dislike in mine). All I can crow about is that the cool rain has given me the world's champion slugs (blue ribbon variety).

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice, Paul. You always seem to have a couple of unusual/uncommon varieties to show us with each photo-thread. I must ask; the small plant in front of 'Geisha' with the spotted leaves and beautifully-colored little flowers...What is the name of that? It's awesome.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Paul - you and your hostas are both making up for lost time. They look GREAT. Thanks for letting us admire them.
    Jan

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don - that is Pulmonaria(Lungwort) 'Raspberry Splash' .

Here's a pic on 5/26 - goes thru this flowering stage.....

Close up of flowers.....
    {{gwi:1042601}}

....and then the regular leaves come out and the flowers drop down. This is pic from last year - by the looks of the flowers above, it is going to be much bigger this year. Growing in bright shade and some morning sun. I grow a number of different ones some are almost all white with a green speckled border.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thank you, Paul.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Nice plants,Paul. I see your Lakeside Cupcake looks about like mine. Mine has just one eye again,but the leaves are wider. Phil

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

I've really been enjoying your emerging plants. They all look great. How old is your Carnival? I ask because mine went through several ugly duckling years with the leaves but now it's great. It pulls just enough for them to look puffy like a pillow. I like it very much.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the comments.

McT - I planted Carnival in 2005 and moved it in 2008. Gets a bit more light in new location. Here is the best leaf pic I ever got of it, but if you look in background you can see an earlier leaf badly drawstringed.
    {{gwi:1042603}}

Paul

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Nice hosta. Enjoyed seeing them. You have many that haven't even been on my radar. It's nice seeing pics of ones that aren't as familiar to me.

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for taking the time to post your pictures. .. I've had a feast! Keep 'em coming please. . lol

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Paul. Great plants and photos.

bk

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Aw, yours are all fresh and pretty right now. I love the wide range of greens that are on display. And I envy your pulmonaria--my husband bans spotted plants from our gardens.

A couple more questions:

What is the star-shaped ground cover you have with Carnival?

And do you let your oak leaves deteriorate over the growing season or do you clear them out of your beds eventually? (I'd love to reduce the labor in my garden and let them deterioriate--I have maple leaves--but I find they harbor slugs!)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

weekendweeder - the ground cover is Sweet Woodruff, a little goes a long way in time - started with a 4" pot in probably '07 or '08 and now I have 4 big areas of it. Can be pulled/dug pretty easily.

On the leaves, almost all my leaves are oak, I mulch and bag as I mow and cover my beds in fall. By next fall they are pretty much gone. I used to buy lots of mulch - now only buy a bit to dress the edges every couple of years. In spring, I pull back the leaves as the pips are starting.

Paul

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

You have a nice selection of well grown plants, Paul. Keep the pix coming.

tj

• irawon
    10 years ago

Gosh Paul, you had to remind me that I want Korean Snow.

I forgive you though, because I enjoy your pictures so. Keep 'em coming.