Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Caught in a rundown......

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

..... trying to post more pics of hostas before heading home.

Streaking toward home with a likely Dorothy Benedict Seedling...flexing its muscles this year. Hope to get seed before the deer this year.

Blue Mammoth - not mammoth yet, but making strides....nice color and character in the leaves.

Eskimo Pie - do people know what an Eskimo Pie is anymore? Leaves are bigger, but no gains in eyes....then again it's still alive.

Bright Glow - hard to photograph....my goal is to grow it into a nice clump and get a decent picture....gotta have hope.

Christmas Tree...oldie, but goody

Harpoon - always nice when you can say this hosta is the best it has ever looked in my garden. Made decent gains the last 2 years.

Heat Wave - Tokudama heritage thru Bright Lights and Tokudama Aureonebulosa...always willing to try a Toku.

Lemon Frost - sport of Lemon Lime

Minnesota Wild - from hybridizer Monty Carlson....MyHostas states - large heart-shaped green leaves have great substance and are framed with a wide and variable creamy-white border with lots of ruffles.....yum and add sprinkles please. Planted in 2012 so it's getting there.

Neat and Tidy....not...had to buy for the name if nothing else. 3rd year plant.

Northern Exposure - deer always get the first few pips, so I'm used to seeing it never being quite perfect....really stretching out nice this year with almost doubling divisions from last year. Beautiful colors.

Radiant Star...a more defined colors sport of Radiant Edger.

Thank you for taking time to check out my pics.

Paul

Comments (20)

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

A real bevy of beauties! I think 'Radiant Star' is my favourite....really distinctive. Thanks for the eye candy!
    Jan

• spazmelda
    9 years ago

Very nice! What is the ground cover in the Northern Exposure picture?

• vpeterson
    9 years ago

Where did you get the Dorothy Benedict seedling from?

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Wow! Nice all of them!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

More beauties! I really like that Minnesota Wild!

And yes, I remember what Eskimo Pies are and I would like one right now!

Linda

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

delete - duplicate

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 10:37

• User
    9 years ago

I sbought Harpoon because of your plant which I saw in the alphabet this winter. It has more yellow than this shot shows.

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

I have a bed of mixed hostas from all over. Don't know their names. I have saved the seed pods from the last few years. What is the best way to get them to sprout?

• fayemo
    9 years ago

Fantastic ! I especially like Radiant Star. You are in 4b. Did you lose any Hosta this year due to the severe extended cold? I did in 3b. I am waiting to see if a few of my latecomers show up.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Very nice plants,Paul! I just added Heatwave this year,and it is planted right across the path from Bright Lights. I figure these plants of tokudama heritage should never freeze,because they are always the very last to come up in the spring. My Harpoon is sorta recovering from the freeze,but it has looked better. I like the shiny leaves! Phil

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

frankielynn - I added a link about seed growing at the bottom of this post.....click on link and go about 1/2 way down in article for seed growing inside and a little further down for growing outside.

Else do a search on the Hosta Forum main page for seed growing.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: Seed Growing

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moc - that is a nice full pot of Harpoon.

fayemo - have a couple that are slow to emerge and a bit stunted, but otherwise all accounted for. I've seen in my and couple of other local gardens that the first leaves were damaged on the tips (curved over a little and frayed) of quite a number of hosta.....I'm guessing our weird start of spring caused some of the leaves to not open well.

Radiant Star was a sport that Chris at Hallsons registered. So he should have available.

Phil - I don't think I know what a normal spring is anymore...we've had a couple recently where it was so early and having to worry about frosts....and this year was completely the opposite being very late and no real frost worries.

Paul

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Paul, I love your Northern Exposure with the Sweet Woodroffe. I have Alex Summers growing in mine and have been wondering whether I should pull up the Sweet Woodruff around the petioles. I can't decide whether that plant is taking away water or cooling AS's feet in the heat of summer.

Your gardens look beautiful as ever. Thanks for the inspiration.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Paul, I found it. (How did I miss this). Your hosta look great. How does you MN Wild grow? Do you have it in a lot of sun? I just picked one up at the MN Hosta Society sale.

Beverly

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, so far so good. Growing in morning sun. What else did you pick up? I missed out on the plants you could order.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moc, here's an updated pic of Harpoon....much darker now.

Paul

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Paul, Harpoon just made my list! Love that last pic, the deep green and yellow is harder to find.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looking good, Paul. Eskimo Pies? Love 'em. They still sell 'em, and I still buy 'em on occasion. Saw them at Target just last night.

Bought a Harpoon in 2012, but lost it over the winter. Got another one last year. It's still small, but doing just fine. It's a good one.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, I agree with the pictures above, the Harpoons are a great hosta. It is a prize winner.

I like the yellow margin on all the above photos. Mine is a bit light of yellow color, but I may move it to less sunlight. I suppose that might be the problem. When mine arrived dormant this year, it was not long before it was unfurling like crazy. It had sun from the beginning, and apparently that made the difference.

In my garden, seeing Harpoon always reminds me of Paul and MN. And whales....don't know about Captain Ahab, but whales anyway. :)