Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evermore_gw

Hosta of the Day - Striptease

Striptease is one of those essentials for any hosta collector. One-time hosta of the year, she grows quickly in a nice, full mound. And she teases with those leaf variations.

Steve

Comments (29)

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Very nice...

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I hated mine last year. She was in full shade and had barely any centre coloring, just the white streak, looked like bird poop. This year I put her in part shade with some morning sun and she's got a lot more centre stripe. I like her a lot better!

Thanks to ken_a for telling me what she was (super newbie):

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Striptease from earlier in season...no close up yet

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

I love Striptease too. I had it in an area with early risers and I got tired of looking at pips forever so I moved it to a sunny spot and planted it higher. Probably get freezer burn next year. We 'll see. WW

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Pic from today - still unfurling.

Paul

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

I have one coming in an order tomorrow.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I purchased my Striptease in 2012. It has grown very well---2012 (4 eyes) and 2013 (13 eyes)---so no complaints about that! Only I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something missing about mine. I think maybe it is because it looks a bit sparse. I have this picture #1 to show this. Picture #2 looks better, but it is taken on an angle so the bare areas are not seen. Also I didn't have too many white lines at the beginning of the season (or so I thought). Do the lines appear right away or do they develop as the season progresses?

This post was edited by newhostalady on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 9:57

10 years ago

Here is picture #2 which looks better than picture #1.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Specimen in the front yard.

Starting to get scapes.

Jon

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

NHL, so that I got this straight it has grown really well and looks marvelous and......what is the problem......lol.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Don't have a Striptease. My only venture into this family of hosta is Gypsy Rose. But I am now coveting Babka's Snake Eyes, which has a much wider white line same place as the others. I have my eye open for it to appear at auction if nothing else.

It seems every one of them has the distinctive indicator of the white lines. Easy to spot one in the garden.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

heres mine with an aluminum yardstick laying on it..

10 years ago

"NHL, so that I got this straight it has grown really well and looks marvelous and......what is the problem......lol." Paul

Ok, Paul, I got the message! Maybe I'm a bit too picky? I accept the compliment! lol

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Purchased late 2012, mine is growing fast and looking good. I haveit next to U. Albomarginata which brings out the white lines.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I have four of them,and I'm not going to show a pic,as everyone here has seen my Stripteases ad nauseum,but they have always been a good grower for me. Phil

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Evermore,
    That is a perfect Striptease.

What is the difference between Striptease and Kiwi Full Monty? Is it just the green vs. blue coloration?

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

My Striptease and Kiwi are so close in color although Kiwi is more blue then green. Both are great growers for me. Striptease in AM sun and Kiwi in midday sun
    My Strip'r is in the second season

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Kiwi Full Monty is blue early in the season,but then turns greener,and you can't tell them apart later in the year. I have mine side-by-side,and late in the year,they look identical. Phil

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Here's a pic I took at Cedar Hedge Garden last summer that shows a huge Striptease next to a tiny Kiwi Full Monty. I don't know the age of the plants.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

We have some wonderful neighbors who have a beautiful mature hosta under their magnolia. When they saw some of my new purchases and we started talking about their cultivar names, they asked if theirs also had a name. They are a very devout baptist family, so I winced a little when I told them them their beloved plant was called "Striptease." They looked a bit mortified, then he said, "Ehh...I think we'll just call her Jezebel." :)

• Lee
    10 years ago

This is mine next to PUDC

• LRB3
    10 years ago

And mine...

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

I need to get mine in more sun, too.

• sgyn
    10 years ago

What is the difference between Striptease and Hanky Panky?
    I've read that HP is a sport of S. But can anyone offer more
    insight perhaps the blooms are different? I have either S. or
    HP. In looking at the photos it seems S. has broader leaves
    and HP narrower.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I regret the more sun now...mine's getting pretty burnt! I will have to find a happy medium.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

sgyn, Hanky Panky changes color thru the summer - border darkens and center lightens. Also Striptease can get huge.

Paul

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Robot, give your Striptease a season to adjust to more sun. You should see my Paradigm that I moved into the sun, it's parched! I'm not worried though, I've been through this before.

Gesila

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Even though I moved it before it leafed out? I'm happy to leave it and see what happens. Lazy is what I mean.