Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
August Moon with blue margin?

Posted by galinas 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 20:57

I was looking at hostas marked as " August Moon" in Lowes. They all were about the same, plain green-yellow color. But one of them had a very tiny blue margin. Do you think it is mislabeling, or mutation, or disease? (Don't really want it to be , as I bought it!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: August Moon with blue margin?

Unfortunately this is routine for Lowes to have mislabeled hosta. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Box Store Hosta Switcheroo

o

August Moon is a prolific sport producer. It is also fertile and has many crosses to its credit.

I was looking at things descended from AMoon and this is difficult to pin down as far as ID goes. Squash Casserole is a sport of AM. Then a yg (yellow with green margin) sport of SC is Yesterday's Memories. It could be AM is sporting to something similar to YM itself. But then, hosta from Lowes and such frequently are misidentified to begin with. The supplier sends them with the wrong tags.

Someone else chime in to give a better answer.

o

We don't know. : )

Don B.

o

OK, I guess I will be unique owner of August Moon with blue margin) Thanks!

o

The photo is not clear. Do all the leaves have a blue margin or just a few?

bk

o

Sorry for bad picture - was taken at night. Here a some more. I would say every leaf has a margin - some of them very sharp and thin, some a little wider and fuzzy. What I really want to know, that this is not a disease, other then that - it is a new pattern for my bed, name doesn't matter)

o

close up with sharp margin:

o

Close up with fuzzy margin. After upload margin become really blue... But in fact it is grayish blue.

o

Perhaps this hosta is still unstable, and you will see the final look next year. This plant also does not look like 'August Moon' right now.
I.e., I found a green hosta with 2 or 3 wide streaks labeled 'Sum and Substance' in between yellow S&S in a farm supply store. 2 years later it looks like 'Sum it up'. Bernd

o

Yes, this is what I thought - it should be more round leaves, right? Anyway, it is a new pastern for my tiny bed of 18 hostas. I mostly pick them to be visibly different from others.

o

Yes, my 'August Moon' have rounder and puckered yellow leaves.

o

I thought August Moon with a blue margin was called September Sun? Phil

o

I'm far from an expert, but I say its a switch-a-roo rather than a sport. Even my young AM had a brader leaf shape and no waviness. And wouldn't it be unusual for the whole plant to sport with consistent variegation? It does have the look of 'Yesterday's Memories' to my untrained eye...

My AM had one eye that was a ringer for September Sun, but it didn't come back this year. Ah, well!

o

No, Phil, September Sun has a yellow middle and a wide green margin. I just got it this spring. Bob Solberg used it as pod parent (plantaginea as pollen) to creat Honey Pie. I really like that big ole Honey Pie and had to have September Sun. My favorite color combo is yellow in the center and any kind of a green margin.

I like the plant you have, Galinas. It reminds me a lot of my Smooth Sailing with its "eye liner" thin margin.
DSCN0230

Here is Sept Sun with small Dixie Chickadee beside it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here