Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Request for Pictures - Diamond Tiara

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am down to one last NOID in my garden and I am pretty sure it is Diamond Tiara, but IâÂÂm not 100%.

Mine has a few streaky leaves, but for the most part seems to be the consistency of Diamond Tiara.

Here it is on 05/30/2013 . . . let me know what you think . . . and if you have DT, could you please link for comparison ?

Thanks much,

Ludi

(For size reference, those black pots in the background are 1 gallon)

Comments (9)

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Hi Ludi,

It is definitely not Diamond Tiara. It looks more like something in the Patriot/Minuteman line, or maybe just Fortunei Albomarginata.

I don't have a picture right now of Diamond Tiara for you, but it is different.

Chris

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhhhhh you caught me :p

I know we went over this while I was up there, but I haven't been able to find anything other than D. Tiara to match it. :(

I will go check those you mentioned and see if I can't stumble onto something.

Ludi

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I don't know Chris... I had the same response at first, but I gave the photo another look. At first I thought the leaves were too elongated, not heart-shaped enough to be a tiara. I, too, wondered about something like f. Albo...

but the fortuneis have a lot more vein pairs... and I think the elongated look might be deceiving... some of the leaves do look heart shaped so I wonder if the angle is making heart-shaped leaves look longer. It does have the same 6 vein-pair look as Diamond T.

Ludi - the first reference really should be the dimensions of a mature leaf. Colors can vary... just look at the hosta library pics of Diamond to see how much it ranges from dark green to medium green.

But the leaf size on DT versus f. Albo, for example... the fortunei is registered at 9"x6"... much larger leaves than the tiaras... DT is listed at 5"x4"

I'm not willing to rule out DT without the size of a mature leaf.

Actually, anybody wanting help with ID should always give a picture, preferably one or more of the clump and one or more of a single leaf laying flat on a surface... and accompany it with measurements of the clump and of a mature leaf... and then the extra stuff that can help is timing of blooming and color and style of the flowers.

Even then - I stink at identification... but those are the basic distinguishing features.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

My Diamond Tiara in June

Now a (crappy) picture of the coloring in July

• Lee
    10 years ago

This is the only Diamond Tiara picture I have now, sit behind Regal Splendor, maybe I can take better pic tomorrow.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Margins look really wide on that NOID. Here's my DT:

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My 'Diamond Tiara' a few weeks ago.

Don B.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Diamond Tiara & Fire Island

• Eleven
    10 years ago

The leaves look too thick and dark green to be Diamond Tiara.