Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Took a few pictures today

It was such a nice day today I had to go out and take a few pictures. The first one is a shot of my new hosta bed that I did late last summer. It originally had a lot of daylilies. They were no longer getting enough sun, so I dug them all up and planted them elsewhere around the yard and moved some of my newer hosta into the bed. I also planted some heuchera in with the hosta.

This is Kiwi Full Monty, planted in 2012, coming along nicely!

Paul's Glory along side a peony

Goodness Gracious, new last year and I can't wait for this one to grow up!

Francis Williams, new this year, a division from my mom's plant.

City Lights, planted in 2012 has grown a lot.

Spartacus, new last year, sending up a scape already.

Golden Meadows

This Golden Tiara has been growing in this pot for many years. I really should divide it.

Blue Angel, planted in 2012 has really grown a lot this year.

Thanks for looking!
Linda :)

Comments (17)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Linda, what a great garden you have. I got Spartacus this year, nothing approaching a scape so far, but now I'll go look. Yours is great. Goodness Gracious, you are so right...cannot wait to see it mature. What have we gotten ourselves into!!! My Blue Angel came from Lowes in 2011May, and it is nowhere near the maturity of yours. Fantastic leaves on it. I put several pots of Golden Tiara and Grand Tiara in the driveway bed, my experiment in the ground. They did fine and returned this spring fine, so I put the rest of the G and G Tiaras in there with them. I hope they naturalize! Great unexpected ground cover where no danger of someone walking.

I have several of the Striptease family now, up to 8 of them. I like how easy to recognize family traits. That's my biggest challenge this summer, figuring out cousins and mamas, if not papas. Kiwi Full Monty is probably the largest size plant, but I think Yellow Polka Dot Bikini will have the largest size leaf. Just saying, don't know what lies ahead. Your KFM is beautifully grown.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Beautiful garden.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. You have some beautiful plants.

bk

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments, Paul and Mocc!

Mocc- I bet the Golden Tiaras do great in the ground. This hosta is one tough cookie and I don't think you can kill it. The pot that mine is planted in has been waterlogged in the spring and had frozen ice on the surface many times and it comes back every year. I think it may even be planted in garden dirt and not potting media (Gasp).

I think someone posted on here a few weeks ago about how big their KFM was getting and said the leaves were dinner plate size. I did not think it would get that big but I guess we'll see in another year or two. I just googled Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and it looks very cute! I may have to get that one too.

I placed another order yesterday to replace my On Stage which died over the winter and added Dress Blues and Key Lime Pie. I went out today and sprayed some grass with roundup to make another existing garden bigger LOL.

I forgot to add my cute little Lakeside Paisley Print.

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks BK :)

Linda

• coll_123
    9 years ago

looking good! How wonderful to share a plant from your mom, too.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

It's nice to get a glimpse into your yard. In your first pic, what is that big, flowering shrub to the right, a rose? Pretty!

The hostas look happy, and your Goodness Gracious is looking very good. It looks like it should mature to be a real beauty. Being a sport of Satisfaction, I hoped it would grow as fast, but, so far, mine is a lot slower. .... Although, that could be because it's not in a great spot, and I think it's reverting, but that's another topic :-)

That Golden Tiara sure looks happy in a pot. .....And peonies! Mine are just opening, too. Gotta love this time of year!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandyslopes- yes, that is a climbing rose called William Baffin. It also has a purple clematis climbing in it but I don't think that is blooming quite yet.

I do love this time of year when everything starts blooming. I even see some buds on the daylilies and I love them too!

Linda

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Your garden looks like it's beautifully laid out and very pretty.

Goodness Gracious has grown like mad for me, seems to like being in filtered shade. No so with LS Paisley Print, which is getting bigger but verryyy sloowwwly.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting. You'll get years of joy watching them grow up! Your garden bed is very neat and tidy. You must take very good care of your garden!

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I love your pink rose...may I ask what it is and how you have it supported? I would love a nice rose like that...I tend to worry that they are too much work, but yours is gorgeous...
    Mary

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

great looking garden.
    Thanks for sharing
    Great time of year!

• User
    9 years ago

Tropic Lover, isn't William Baffin one of the Canadia Explorer series of roses? With some rugosa rose heritage? I had several of those planted near the road up in MA, and they did beautifully. Rugosa are also planted at the Manchester NH airport, they can take the salt along a seashore and I suppose some road type salt as well. Mine did fine there, about 8 of them, because the slow plows seems to pile some snow up near them. They were on the UP side of the road, not the down side.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Mocc- you are right about William Baffin, I just googled it to make sure LOL. This is a very hardy rose (to zone 3) and is easy to grow. My mom has one that is bigger than mine, probably because hers gets more sun. We mail-ordered these about 15 yrs ago. I originally planted it on a small trellis which it promptly destroyed. This plant is growing against the fence with no support provided by me. It has really big canes and holds itself up. I trim it back once in a while when it gets outta hand. I also have a dark purple Jackmanii Clematis which is growing up into the rose. It is just about to start blooming, I see a few buds showing color today. It looks pretty with the pink roses and purple clematis growing together. And to top it all off the rose grows well in quite a bit of shade.

Linda

This post was edited by tropic_lover on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 19:57

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

They look really healthy and I really like the layout of your bed.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Thank you for the id of the rose...that would not be a hard one to find, I am encouraged that it can take just a bit of shade...

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Nice garden Linda. Your LS Paisley Print is off to a great start.

Happy Planting,
    Beverly