Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

4 dollar 'August Moon'! What a deal...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

...NOT. Got this at end of season last year from a local place. Glad I never took it out of the pot, and was mindful of risk...This may be difficult for you to see, but almost every leaf erupted with HVX vein-bleeding over the last couple weeks or so...Maybe I have a better pic...let's see...

Comments (8)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, here's another pic... : P

...Speaking for myself, I will no longer buy from local retailers. I'm sticking with trusted online stores from now on. I see diseased plants all the time now at local stores, and I don't find it worth the gamble.

Regards,
    Don B.

• dg
    10 years ago

Ruh-roh, I hope no one "saves" it from the dumpster like a neighbor did Moccasinlanding's toss out a while back.

Hide it under some trash or seal it in a box so it goes on to the landfill.

Sorry for your troubles,
    Deb

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's buried. I just had it on top to 'pose' for the pic.

Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Three years ago it was Gold Standard with HVX, last two years it's been August Moon. I noticed that one of the places I reported August Moon with HVX to Michigan Department of Agriculture isn't selling hostas this year. One of the workers said that all of the hostas she was selling were divisions from her gardens which I suspect ended up being infested with the virus.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I'll never buy hostas at the big box stores again either. I went to 3 different ones over this weekend. Every single one of their "Gold Standard" plants (at all 3 stores!) had HVX. I brought it to the attention of the managers, and they didn't have the slightest clue about what I was talking about. Scary!! How are we ever supposed to get rid of the stuff if these large stores keep selling diseased plants and the growers aren't taking precautions?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I totally agree. Seems like it's getting worse and worse with the percentage we are seeing at walk-in retailers. Makes me angry and kinda heartbroken at the same time.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

I almost did not buy my August Moons because of that scare. I watch them like a hawk, but they came from a good nursery, Mason Hollow.

I recently bought more HVX test strips, which I consider a good investment. If something looks wonky, I test it....so far no HVX found, but another virus took down some of my best fragrants. That REALLY hurt!

I also keep most of my hosta by the nursery of origin....Hallson together, Wade Gatton together, etc....and that way any outbreak common within a nursery can stay restricted, as much as I am able, anyway.

Don, that was a lot of trouble you went to tossing that August Moon....I mean, renting that dumpster and all......very dramatic.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Yes Mocc, I saved so much money on my '4 Dollar August Moon' that I was able to acquire that dumpster for the big send-off...It's coming in handy for the bathroom remodel, too... : )

Don B.