2013 and 2014...South Side Bed

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

The bed on July 9, 2013

Comments (21)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And now in 2014. A few plants were resited elsewhere, but mostly I just added to it.

If you are new to hostas, or new to gardening in general, hope some of these pics are heartening. I've only been 'seriously' shade/hosta gardening since 2012, so I'm no expert, just wanted to show you, a little patience and your beds will be rolling sooner than you may think.

Just remember to water often and generously (Unless you live in rainy areas (Lucky ducks!)

Cheers!
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2013 fragrant bed

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And 2014

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Don , isn't it thrilling the tiny 3 leaved hosta can take such a leap in such a short time and how the leaves get huge the second and third year. I still am in awh how they grow so much.. Loving it! I never knew what I was missing until 2012 too

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fortunei Aureomarginata 2012

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fortunei Aureomarginata 2013

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And FA 2014

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's just awesome, Faye. Love to capture images, and then look at them the next season or two. "Wow, they really ARE growing!" LOL

Good Times

Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

That is awesome Don! It looks like they are all planted in the ground, is that correct? Beautiful pics...

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Love it!

Let me show you the progress on this bed in a small part of the front yard. Here is 2013:

• hostanista
    9 years ago

And now here is 2014:

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Nice job Don....fun to watch the growth and anticipate next year, keeps us young.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jerry. Yes, everything is planted in the ground.

Looks great, Hostanista. That's what I'm talkin about.

Don B.

P.S. Thanks, Paul. I agree with the keeping us young part as well...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:54

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Nice Nice stuff...

My Bro-in law in Colorado Springs had to JACK HAMMER holes in his yard for fence posts.

My uncle north of Salt Lake says ..shipped in black dirt disappears into the sandy soil never to be seen again..

Meanwhile Don is sittin on the best Rocky Mountain dirt out there !

They are gonna really gonna fill in next year..why is it always next year?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

What a difference a year makes! Impressive, Guacamole Don! They are all so healthy and shiny and just beeeuddifuuuullll! Wow!

Love that fragrant section ;-)

Jo

P.S. Hostanista, I can see your future "tour garden" now...stunning!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heh heh heh don't forget the super-secret pondwater fertilizer, LW.

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Holey cow I can't believe you let it slip out ! ;)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Don, Your garden is really looking good this year! I want to see a picture of your pond...pretty please!

Linda

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Don, looks fantastic. Keep us up to date as they get bigger.

• User
    9 years ago

I think Don, Faye and myself all went crazy in 2012. I know that was the year I went from a few to over 200 in like 60 seconds. It is wunnerful for sure. I've never enjoyed anything so much as hosta gardening.

Love to see the progression. Cannot help but spot the loose green leaves of a fragrant hosta. Looking good there, Don me-boyo.

And Hostanista, the shape of your bed is like half of yin/yang. And we all can infer the other half. The way you planted it and expanded it is all so logical and balanced. I think the plants as they grow will perfectly emphasize the motion of that bed...anchored by the taller tree at its axis. I don't know how you planted the two colors of green ground cover around the tree, but they work beautifully to reveal the spinning round shape.

• eebalcos
    9 years ago

I love seeing these photos as the hostas and garden matures.
    Beautiful garden beds. What part of CO are you in? I lived in C.Springs when I went to college. Thanks for sharing your garden!