Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

Hosta 'Golden Meadows'

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

This one now starting it's second year here (perhaps 2yo when we got it).

Believe this one qualifies for the '10 yard rule', or however that goes . . .

Whee, what fun!

hh

Comments (55)

• landlady
    11 years ago

Well, good, the convention is over and the auction is back in high gear. I love the auction. Anyway, I see that there is a Golden Meadows being offered if anyone still wants/needs one.
    I got mine on the last go round....

• User
    11 years ago

And I got mine on the last go round as well. It is doing fine, but a lot of green is streaking into the middle, it is such a complex leaf design to try to describe. I just love it. I think it performs with the stitched leaf even better than Embroidery or Stitch In Time.

My Stitch In Time is what I'd call a really tiny plant, with maybe three leaves, but it is putting out a fourth. It cost a lot more than my Golden Meadows obtained at HL Auction (Naylor). After I got it, I read what Chris had to say, and I have to agree with his evaluation. But, we live and learn.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

I won one on the Library Auction from Naylor.

Jon

• User
    11 years ago

Hahahaha, Jonny, you and I and Landlady all 3 got GM from the Naylor auction on HL. No complaints here.

Beats going to a movie for safe entertainment, sad to say.

• chris-e
    11 years ago

After Paul's post about this beauty last week, I immediately started searching for it. A lot of sites were sold out, but I bought one from Land of the Giants. It came today and I can't wait till tomorrow to pot it!

Unlike some smaller hosras, this one shows the beautiful colors and ruffles on the leaves right away!

chris

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

I got this one earlier in the week and I cannot wait until it looks as good as yours! Just gorgeous.

• irawon
    11 years ago

HH, that's a lovely specimen you have grown. Unlike most hostas GM is lovely in its infantile stage too. Mine was purchased in 2009 and has tree root competition, so HH's must be on steroids.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Fell in love with this one, too and "ran" right over to the auction yesterday, but was outbid by someone right here! ;-) Fortunately, there's two up this morning.

But, I have a question. Naylor has them on their site at $14., but the auction starting price is $20. Can I safely assume that the auction plants are larger with more eyes?

Thanks,
    Gail

• landlady
    11 years ago

Gail, I emailed Naylor when that came up in an auction a few weeks ago and was told that the offer at the auction was for just as you suggested -- a larger plant or more eyes, I forget now. Gary and Jack are hugely accommodating and will give you what you want. I always end up with a hosta or two from the auction and another batch from their retail site in the same shipment.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply.
    I placed the bid - fingers crossed. Now, I'll check out their retail site. )
    Gail

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I jumped on that bandwagon yesterday too and bid on one of Naylor's GM.

Gail � I apologize if it was me that outbid you, but I don't remember anyone else bidding on the plant that I selected. Or was it that you saw my name on the bid and didn't bid ?

I was however outbid on a Volcano Island (tetraploid of Paradise Island), my apologies again if that was you. :(

The only other person I recognized from this forum was Moccasin and we both managed to snag up a LS Paisley Print. YAY !!!

I have to agree with Landlady � I called Gary after I won the bid for LS Paisley to arrange payment methods and we got so off topic just talking about all the different types of Hosta. He was lovely and a pleasure to speak with.

These nurseries spoil us with exceptional customer service. But then again I have to remember that these are not corporate box stores we are dealing with but long time enthusiasts that love Hosta just as much as we do.

Looking now this morning Gail I see your bid for the GM and have made note of the name so in the future I do not bid against you if ever the situation were to arise.

Although it seems that Naylor adds and replaces auctions quite frequently.

When I panicked and was out bid on Volcano Island I bumped my bid significantly only to see another batch listed later that day.

Live and learn . . . and then buy more Hosta.

Ludi

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Moccasin,

Glad you got one as well. I hope I wasn't bidding against you. I would not have knowingly done that.

Now that I have one coming, I have a question for anyone. There are 2 sites that I am considering. One is shade with some dappled sun at times (4 hours or so) and another is shaded in the AM and gets a good bit (3-4) hours of full afternoon sun. Any opinions as to which would keep the best colors?

Thanks,

Jon

• irawon
    11 years ago

Jon, mine is in dappled shade.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Thanks irawon, I think I will go with the shadier spot as my Elegans and Frances Williams do very well in similar conditions. I didn't know if the lighter center might be a factor.

I confirmed my order with Gary just now and added a Sagae and a Liberty as the add-on for shipping is peanuts, so why not take advantage of the opportunity. They seem to be great people to do business with.

Now, where to put the Sagae and the Liberty.....???

Jon

• monet_g
    11 years ago

No, Ludi, it was not you that outbid me. It was the other winner. ;-) No prob, there's always another day. (Today, I hope.) Oh, now you'll make go and look at that Lakeside!
    Gail

• User
    11 years ago

Jonny, put your Sagae and Liberty in big pots on your deck or patio!! Having them close to hand is delightful.

Yes, I think Naylor Boyz know how to present their product at the auction. I will pay a few dollars more to see the actual plant I am getting, no hemm-hawing around about that. It is the next best thing to walking about in a nursery and picking up the plant which pleases you most.

I have observed that Naylor presents several pots of the same hosta. If someone has already bid on one, I go to the next. If I do not like any of the options, I wait until they present more of the same plant. Like 'Sparkler' this week, I almost freaked out when all the bids were at zero, because I'd cast it in the role of #200....my 200th hosta.
    And then I noticed there were more of Sparkler being offered. Whew.

The new ones go on at the bottom, and as time goes by and auctions close, they work to the top of the list. I'm only competitive bidding when the auctions are trying to raise money for some reason. So if you want a plant, bid early and I won't be challenging you.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

They would not have a chance. A few months ago I "rescued".....

Shasta (half shepard and half brindle bull dog; maybe) who has eaten about 8 toys, many sticks, the transformer off my kitchen telephone, some of the shingles off my house (I had to learn how to replace cedar shingles), a solar light and almost all the blankets and cushions I have put in her crate.

She is settling down, but hostas would not stand a chance on the deck with her.

Jon

• landlady
    11 years ago

And then I went back to the auction and bid on 2 or 3 or 4 or???

Where is Hostaholics Anonymous when I need them....

I'm sure there isn't an available sponsor HERE :-))))

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A month and a week or so ago I posted a picture of our Hosta 'Golden Meadows'.

Now with the rapidly changing interests on this here list, I usually defer from updates to my former posts, now several pages buried on the list, for fear of bumping one of my interests back onto today's interests.

Since so many others have kept this thread running, I felt free to contribute an update.

Look at my original uploaded picture of this cultivar, a month and a week or so ago, and now this one taken today:

The many, many posts about this beauty have discussed the seasonal and zonal variation of this cultivar.

Note that this is planted in Zone 4, in dappled light (I estimate 35% light from full daylight) for comparison and expectations purposes.

At this point, I add it to my 'subtle' Hostas list, but won't bother to re-post it there ;-)

I do have several other candidates for my list of fave 'subtle' hostas, even tho' that list designation, I don't believe, is on the esteemed don_rawson (sp?) list of lists...

It's late and it's been, again, awfully hot, so I'm embarrassed that I can't dig Mr. Don's last name out of my head, sorry to him and all the other users here. Something looks wrong about the spelling I used, and he's long been a hard and honest writer here, so again, I'm having an oops moment, , ,

hh

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Thanks, hh. Amazingly beautiful in all colors. I was lucky to get one on auction yesterday!
    Gail

• Cindy
    11 years ago

I bought one of these from Nalor about a month ago. It has been in a temporary gallon pot until I decided where to put him but I have decided to, yet again, take Moccasinlanding's advice and pot up this bad boy. It is so pretty, I want it close at hand. HH, I hope mine looks half as nice as yours next year. We too have been fighting the heat and drought this year. I don't know if you are getting rain. We sure the heck aren't!!

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Cindy,
    Did you buy the plant directly from Naylor, not the auction? If so, any chance you could post a picture? I'd like to compare size of retail ($14.) vs. auction ($20.)
    Thanks,
    Gail

• User
    11 years ago

I think this great thread needs to be bumped up near the top again, not simply linked to the current Golden Meadows questions.

Besides, it's almost time to get excited about the HL Auctions!
    Right?

Mama needs a new pair of shoes.....ALLIGATOR SHOES......
    come on......no alligators were harmed making this hosta available.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

That's right, Mocc....Thanks to 'My Man HH' for starting the thread. ;)

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janann - your question about the Hosta in the foreground of the July pic came to my email.

The answer is 'Stitch in Time'

HTH,
    hh

• janann
    10 years ago

Hi HH,

In the last photo you posted of your gorgeous Golden Meadows, what are the other hostas we see in the photo?

I can't wait to see my hostas this year. I just have pips starting to come up here in central Iowa. I have loved seeing everyone's photos lately.

Thanks,
    Janann

• janann
    10 years ago

Just wanting to bump this up so that hopefully HH will see my question and answer it. Thanks!

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

janann,

i have your request red-flagged in my inbox and should be able to get an answer posted nlt early next week.

i haven't yet even found time to start raking the pathways, but then again the snow just melted a few days ago ;-!

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's pic of garden map where GM is planted, oriented about the same as my second pict post, hth janann !

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Just found a ~3/8" pip of Golden Meadows that was hiding in the dirt until today.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

HH, you and the family have some of the most beautiful gardens, with some of the most beautiful specimens, I've ever seen. Thanks for gracing The Hosta Library with so many fantastic photos!

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Love to check back over old posts, and this thread reminded me that HH's Golden Meadows is the one inspiring my desire to get one last June 2012.

It took long enough for it to emerge, while all those around it were busy making big leaves. But now here it comes.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

moc,

remember, it's one of the 'magic' ones that changes it's personality as the season progresses.

Looks nice as a pot-head ;-)

hh

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

as in Don_in_CO

Oh, so you've noticed some of the pics on HL from 'us'. I will tell you and all that the VAST majority of the pics there from here are from my better half (yup, it's true, by and large, here), who over the years had the cam and has the better eye for beauty, despite the fact that I know the science behind good fotos, she is the artistic half of the brain around here.

Then again, I am a pretty good hose hauler and wheel-barrow mule.

Now in the past couple of years, I've led us into the magic of the smarty-pants phone revolution, and since we both have the same 'devices', I'm 'sneaking' up on her with taking garden pics, and I soooo love the fairly recent GardenWeb forum feature that allows me to upload pics directly from the smartypantsphone without all the funkyfun PITA of sending them first to someplace like fotobuket et. al. then , and so forth and so on, what a PITA.

Now perhaps someone will point me to where I can beg/plead/suggest to this, our fave online forum, to allow me some easy to understand and follow way to attach several fotos to a post directly from the fone/cam modern wonderment.

Yah, I'm a dreamer . . .

hh

• User
    10 years ago

".....i'm a dreamer...."

....but you're not the only one......
    (might make a nice song, eh?)

HH, am I missing something there, about directly uploading from the smartyfone to the forum? I too believe in the KISS formula....Keep It Simple Stupid! (knew a guy who claimed to have originated KISS......duh)
    Well, I will check the photo info again for GWeb to see what I'm ignoring. I have Android ICS for my phone. Is the app on the Google Play store?

• janann
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for posting your garden map HH. I was guessing it was stitch n time and candy dish that I was seeing. Golden Meadows is one of my favorites, I planted a half tree ring last year (1/2 because the tree is right next to the driveway) and put three GM's around it with two teaspoons out closer to the edge between the GM's. The little pips are still mostly under the mulch. So hopefully they won't suffer to much later this week when we hopefully are missed by the cold they are predicting for central IA. ( I can hope!) But Stitch n Time has been on my list. And that photo just reinforces that I have to get one. I will email my hosta enabler and let her know. I keep going over my wish list saying that I am not getting any new ones until everything is up and I can see what survived from last year and where I still have shade. Darn that I am running out of room. Thankfully I have a friend with an acreage and lots of trees, I can always start planting there. he he he Thanks again!

• vina538
    5 years ago

Thank you, HH for posting a pic of Golden Meadows later in the year. I find the loss of colour disappointing. Is there a hosta that keeps the bright centre all summer? (Yeah, I know, this post is 6 years later!)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Vina - how about Andrew? Centres are white though.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

There are LOTS of yellow/gold centered (medio-variegated) hostas that don’t lose their color! Is that what you are looking for... or the ruffled leaves?

• vina538
    5 years ago

I like both the colour and and ruffled (interestingly shaped) leaves. Preferable medium hosta. Andrew looks like it is perfect, but comments on other forums say it is exremely slow growing. Also mentioned was Lionheart - any comments?

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    5 years ago

I would suggest you look through the different categories on Don Rawson's lists: http://hostalists.org/

And then you could look at pictures and gather information about any you might like at: http://hostalibrary.org/

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

I suppose that Andrew is on the slower side...but it hasn’t bothered me because even the immature plant was very beautiful.

• hostas_for_barb
    5 years ago

I like my Andrew too!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Welcome Judy, happy you have found us! Lovely pic!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

My Golden Meadows is a no show. I fear it is a casualty. This was not one of the plants I was worried about in that bed either. The rest are all looking good!

• hostas_for_barb
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I need to take out a blue eye this year. And I seem to be losing the ruffled edge. Has anyone else had this problem?

• stephanie_h12
    4 years ago

Mine isnt' very ruffled this year either, but it's still one of my favorites. Yours is gorgeous!

• hostas_for_barb
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yours is beautiful too Stephanie! I'm thinking I may even try to save the blue eye I will have to remove this year - everything about this hosta is lovely!

• stephanie_h12
    4 years ago

It is - I love the shape and it would be nice to have a blue one too ;)