Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Love Clifford's Stingray

Anyone else have pics of this one? The multi-colors in the leaves are so impressive...

Loving this one.

Comments (22)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Very similar to Fire and Ice only with larger green margins. I just went out and ran my fingers over the leaves of both (clifford's Stingray and Fire and Ice) and they are both very nicely thick.

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Babka. It does have good substance, you are right about that!

No one has a pic of this one? Come on, people! :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I love it, too, but mine disappeared after one year. Will have to try again'

• idighosta
    9 years ago

Here is my Stingray. I really like it!

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I love my Clifford's Stingray! Yours too, funnthsun. I took this picture Tuesday morning. Got it from Hallson's in May of this year.
    Kathy

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry, Funn. That is one I don't have. I have very few with white centers.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, this one has pretty good substance, it might make it down there!

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

OK, you goaded me to go find it ;) Sure is a slooow poke. Thanks for reminding me to move it to more light!

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I second that, Mocc. This seems to be a real sturdy plant. Here's another view showing the new growth. It's only been in the ground since the middle of May. I got it from Hallson Gardens.
    Kathy

• User
    9 years ago

It sure does look pretty.
    But slow? Show it to me again in August for durability, Funn.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

It took me a while to get it out of the camera, and then the lighting was bad - but here it is.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

I've been on the fence with one hearing it was very slow grower, but I am sure am tempted after seeing these photos!

• User
    9 years ago

I'm thinking this plant is a lot like Lakeside Paisley Print.
    Does anyone else see the similarity?

Taken in June, in bloom.....LS Paisley Print

and about 6 weeks earlier May 2 2014

Pretty nice, both LS PP and CSR.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Mocc- Here's a shot of the two, (taken just now) L. Paisley Print, and Clifford's Stingray, both new for me in April from Hallson's. CS is a darker and the leaves have a lot more substance. (like Rhino Hide) Big differences to me even tho these both are very young plants. And PP is supposed to get that lovely wavy edge as it matures.

I can hardly wait for them both to get a couple more years old...methinks these both are keepers.

-Babka

{{gwi:1043736}}

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hi Funn,

My C. Stingray was very slow and then regressed. I put it in a spinout bag and into more light. It's recovering nicely. Yours is lovely and so is everyone elses.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Moc, here's my L. Paisley Print. It has the more ruffled edges but I can see where the mediovariegation made you think that. Clifford's Stingray looks a lot like Pathfinder to me. I hope I didn't buy the same plant twice (mislabeled)?

• irawon
    9 years ago

Here's what I bought as Pathfinder.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Irawon- Your Pathfinder looks like my Pathfinder with the occasional speckles that appear in the center. I think from looking at other photos at the HL that Clifford's Stingray's white center remains narrower than Pathfinder's, and that the leaf substance might be stronger.

I love those wavy edges on L. Paisley Print. Did yours have them from the very beginning?

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

I like Pathfinder too. It is one which doesn't seem to have many problems maintaining. I had 2 of them in a pot with 2 Half And Half, which sported from it.

Now I have only 2 Pathfinder and 1 Half And Half. Lost the 2nd H&H over the winter while the pot was tipped and squirrels must have dragged it off.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Babka,

I bought 2 L. Paisley Print in 2011 and only one survived. I don't have a picture from 2011 but here's a pic from 2012.
    I went out and checked and you're right Pathfinder has a few green specks in the white center.

Moc, I checked: I think 'Half and Half' is a sport of L. Cupcake and not Pathfinder. Its center begind white right off the bat whereas the center of L. Cupcake starts off cream. That doesn't make me want H&H if I already have Cupcake.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Loving those wavy edges....hope mine show up next year. Bring on 2015!

-Babka

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Mocc, give LS Paisley Print a couple years. Mine is three and has very stiff leaves. I can't wait for it to mature, think it will be interesting.