Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coll_123

Guardian Angel

coll_123
9 years ago

I think of Guardian Angel as my secret hosta. I'm probably the only one that has ever laid eyes on it because it's not really visible from the main part of my yard and garden....you pretty much have to be walking along the back fence to see it. It gets no direct sun, and only rain water. Sometimes I think I should move it somewhere to give it more love, but this spot seems to suit it. I think it's such a pretty hosta.

Comments (12)

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

What a beauty! Guardian Angel is dear to me. Its the name of the adoption agency I was placed in some 43 years ago. Luckily for me they found the two best parents a girl could ever ask for. :) Hadn't thought about that of that until I saw this thread. Thanks for the beautiful picture and for enabling me to 'NEED' this hosta instead of just merely wanting it. :)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very beautiful specimen.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I am still searching for a good one of this hosta :)

• User
    9 years ago

Coll, having it where it is mostly yourself sees it is right in keeping with the function of a Guardian Angel. Specific to YOU, so really private location is good.

Kate, it spoke to you, like some of mine do. :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I agree with you, Coll that it is very pretty. How old is yours now?

I traded with my neighbour last year...weeding for a piece of GA division she got from her neighbour. I am so amazed at its beauty. It has a lovely full shape and it will only get better.

• coll_123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How cool that you have a neighbor to trade for something great like that.

Kate, I agree, you need to get this hosta!

I got this hosta in 2010. I stopped at a place that used to be my favorite nursery - very different stuff at this place with a lovely wooded path section with many shade plantings and sculptures. The owner had recently closed the retail aspect to focus on his landscaping business, but was still selling a few things one day a month. So he and I were chatting and I had picked out a couple of hostas to buy. He wanted to show me something up in the wooded section. So we were walking up the path and we passed a hosta planted on the left. I said, " oh that's a really nice Guardian
    Angel". He was so impressed that I knew the name of it so he grabbed a shovel and cut me out a fat division right on the spot. GAve it to me free!

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

I got mine and then a surprise.....a seedling in that bed that does the same color change, but not as bright or as big. What are the chances of that?

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

This is the baby......Paula if you are up Kingston way sometime message me , maybe we can dig you a piece?

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Wow! Some seedling! I never get seedlings like that. Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Coll, a really nice story, and a special hosta.

Paula, I hope you see Jagd's post/offer!

Jagd51, lovely specimen and the seedling is outstanding!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Jagd thank you so much for the offer, that is very kind of you. I don't get to Kingston too often (maybe 3 years ago was the last time) but my DH goes there every couple of months for business. He was just there last Friday!

Coll, I love that story!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

It's a lovely hosta, the leaves look like watercolors to me.

Don B.