Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasrgreat

My hostas arrived; biggest plants I have ever received

hostasrgreat
10 years ago

I found a new vendor with great selection by accident several weeks ago.

I placed my order with 'Land of the Giants Hosta Farm'. I placed the order last week; the plants arrived today.

I have to say that I was absolutely stunned by the size and condition of the hosta. Three of the plants are probably too large for one gallon pots, but that was all I had. I highly recommend you go to their website and review their selection.

This post was edited by hostasrgreat on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 9:00

Comments (6)

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I have learned to order from LOTG for my fall planting and been really satisfied with them. We are going into our usual summer dry spell so I won't plant anything until late August or September, too hard to keep them watered right now.

Sandy

• User
    10 years ago

Yep, I got in my last summer stuff yesterday, not an order but winnings from the benefit auction on HostaLibrary.com

Among them were 4 hosta, the rest were absolutely HUGE ground orchids, coming from Ed McHugh up in NJ.

HostasRGreat, we always love to see what you got.....at least names.....(hint hint hint).....:)

Will you be keeping your hosta in containers? Recommend you go to Lowes and pick up some of their nursery style black pots with side holes around the bottom. They come in a lot of sizes, are very sturdy, and much better than any other pots you might find for the job. Fairly cheap too.

Get some good potting mix as well, since garden soil does not work very well for container plants.

• hostasrgreat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moccasin,

I probably should have taken pictures. But then I would need to figure out how to post them. The plants I purchased where on my wish list; plants I saw and enjoyed in AHS convention show gardens.

Four plants:

1. Sultana. Replaced one that died four or five years ago. It has taken me awhile to find a nursery that sells Sultana.

2. Faith. A gold hosta from Don Dean. One of the parents is Big Daddy.

3. Battle Star. A plant from Goodwin.

4. Christmas Pageant. A sport of Christmas Tree.

My best practice is to put new hostas in pots for a year or so to allow them acclimate to my environment.

I compost yard waste and have a very nice potting mixture.

Thanks for asking.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

I ordered from Land of the Giants earlier this month. This was my first time with mail order hostas and I was also very impressed. The plants they sent were huge and I can't wait to see how they look next year. They were also the only place that I could find Lakeside Cindy Cee, which is why I ordered from them in the first place.

Linda

• esox48
    10 years ago

I ordered four hostas last summer from LOTG for our lake cabin, and they were large and impressive. However, this year they are not large and impressive. They are small and unimpressive although they are very large varieties -- Journey's End, Satisfaction, Sun Power and Elegans.

I'm guessing it may be because last year they were parts of large hostas and this year they are two-eyed plants. Or it may be a siting problem, but I planted them in an area of no root competition, excellent drainage with slightly sandy soil and a slope. I thought at the time it was the best spot I had ever planted a hosta. Or it could be this year's wacky weather, including 18 inches of snow there in early May.

So we'll see.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

esox 48, I live in TC. This is the first time I've had hosta come back smaller. Most came back bigger, but a couple did not. We had an early spring last year with a ton of water which encouraged large leaves. Then we had little water if any the second half. No amount of watering will make up for rain. Be patient, they may bounce back.

hostasrgreat, nice selection, I had to look them up as I don't grow any of them. Christmas Pageant, for example, is supposed to hold well into fall. I'm interested

Beverly

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 9:47