Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Image Heavy - My front yard garden - Part 1 - 15 pics

jel48
13 years ago

Despite the fact that we live in town, in a house with a tiny, tiny yard, I think my front garden has developed the look and feel of a real woodland garden. We have two huge OLD Maples (yes, Maples) on the front between the sidewalk and the street. The yard was pretty much plain grass when we moved in, with the exception of a handful of unidentified hostas and a few tulips and wildflowers. This is our third summer here. It's far from mature, and it's not a perfect tidy yard, but I love it. We do have a little strip on the South side of the front yard, that gets a little more sun then the rest so I've added the iris in there. They didn't bloom at all last year, but are putting on a nice display this year. They are mixed with mums for both spring and fall color.

The 'younguns'. These were purchased as first year tcs and have spent the last two winters and the summer between in this nursery bed.

Seedlings grown to a good size. I bought these from Bob Axmear on Ebay. He listed a 6 pack of streaky seedlings and his description said they might be the best thing you ever bought or the worst thing you ever bought.

Regal Splendor.

June Fever.

Don't recall. I'll go check if anyone wonders who it is :-)

To be continued.....

Comments (8)

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Very nice! You have some super plantings there

Alexa

• mary52zn8tx
    13 years ago

You are off to a great start. Love all your pretty iris groupings in the second set of pictures, too.

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

You got to do what few of us can do and that is to start over with new placement of your hostas!

Love the pictures and garden art.

Connie

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

you collect hen and chicks? love the boot plantings... tell me of this lol

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

Marvelous collection you have there, and I love the rocks.

I have two questions for you:

1. I notice in your second photo you have hostas planted in urn-type planters. Do you over-winter them in the planters? I'm afraid if I did that, I'd lose my plants, not being safe & snug in the ground.

2. Is that 'Snow On The Mountain' in your last two pics?
    I used to grow SOTM until it started choking everything in sight. How do you keep it under control?

Julie

• lindac
    13 years ago

I was going to ask about the aegopodium too...is that a new planting? Or do you have some secret for keeping it in bounds?
    It can be pretty in a bed surrounded by concrete, but in a bed it will choke out everything else, unless kept in bounds some how.
    Linda c

Here is a link that might be useful: Gout weed

• jel48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julie, the hostas in the urns stay there year around (at least for the last two years including the two winters). But I can do things that people in most places, including most of MI and WI, can't do. I live on the Keweenaw peninsula and we have lake effect snow... big time! Last winter was mild. Only 163 inches of snow. The winter before we had 288 inches. In both cases, we maintained an average 30+ inches on the ground at all times. So the tops of those urns were under an additional 15 or more inches of snow. Heaving and winter kill is definitely NOT a problem here! That's the only thing I love about all that snow :-)

Julie and Linda, the aegopodium (Snow on the Mountain) was here when we bought the house. It doesn't seem to have spread at all in the past two years, so maybe it just doesn't like conditions here all that well. The vinca and generic stella like daylilies are much more problematic as they seem to pop up everywhere. The vinca is pretty, but there's just too much of it. The daylilies are in the shade and never bloom so they are not something I want there.

i-like-to-grow, we started a hen and chicks (sempervivum) collection last summer. There was a great place that we ordered from online. They had a huge variety and really good prices. I've been searching this morning but couldn't find the url to pass on. I can't imagine I didn't bookmark it somewhere, so if I find it, I will share :-) On the other hand, collecting hen and chicks will NEVER be like collecting hosta! At least not for us :-) They are just a great extra dimension for the garden and are easy to grow!

• shade_tolerant
    13 years ago

I know that was a lot of work!! I think it's turning out lovely, I think it's great when we actually use our front yards for something more than just grass.
    Love that statue of the children, it's really a nice addition to your garden.