Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Argh!!!! 99 cent store "pests" invading garden!

esther_b
10 years ago

After I invested at least $200 in plants, topsoil, peat moss, mulch, fencing, glazed pots, etc. and 3 hours of hard back breaking labor to turn the ugly collection of dry soil clods of the Neighbor's Plot into a beautiful garden, I did not expect, nor was I offered, any reimbursement from either Upper Neighbor or Lower Neighbor.

But I didn't expect to come out this morning and find a huge, GARISH pinwheel stuck into the middle of that garden. Flanked by a cheapy trite little painted wooden house cut of flat wood on a pole stuck into the soil, which says, "Spring". And stuck into the soil of my raised bed on the other side of the sidewalk, where resides my glorious Easy Does It rose and various callibrachoa blooming their heads off, another such cheapo flat house on a stick which proclaims "Garden".

Arggghhhhh!!!!

I took out the latter flat house on a stick and stuck it into the back of the Neighbor's Plot, behind the Obligatory Bushes. I moved the one that said "Spring" to the back of the garden, butting right up against the Obligatory Bushes. The garish pinwheel, a double pinwheel with a fake sunflower in front, might well be "stolen" in a week or two.

I thought I was doing proper homage to the Chinese guy next door ("Upstairs Neighbor") by using the icky white pot he so proudly presented to me when I said I'd like to plant the garden that had been laying ignored for so many years. The icky pot that was destined for the garbage can, and laying next to it for a week before he "gifted" me with it as though he were bestowing upon me the keys to the city. Although the pot was hideous, I planted some mini-snapdragons in it and put it in a prominent place in the garden. But these crummy-looking houses-on-a-stick and the in-your-face pinwheel, they're a bit much.

Comments (35)

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Esther, I think you need to remove those dangerous life threatening ornaments from your garden until you speak with the insurance guy. Don't want anyone getting hurt. See how easy that was. :). WW

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teehee. Maybe I should put some of that black foam tubing over the top of them instead? We MUST save the birds, butterflies, and other innocents who might impale themselves on the pointy roofs of the tacky little houses-on-a-stick.

How many people out there are familiar with the tacky houses-on-a-stick with the pithy sayings on them you can get at Target, 99 cent stores, and other purveyors of kitsch?

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I totally understand Esther. After spending three weeks putting up our Christmas display, sometimes moving pieces two or three inches to achieve perfection, our neighbor proudly presents a lighted frog wearing a Santa hat, totally expecting it to be used in our display.

Of course, not wanting to alienate our neighbor who will have to put up with miles of cars viewing our display nightly, I plugged the thing in and made it a part of the show. However, since I control the entire display by computer, the frog only lit up once for a few seconds during our 15 minute show.

Gesila

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gesila, you should work at the U.N. Unfortunately, these tacky things are NOT lit up by electricity controlled by moi. I think having moved the one tacky house-on-a-stick from what is indisputably "my" garden on the left hand side of the sidewalk, and relocating it to behind the Obligatory Bushes might send a message that I do not exactly love that chazzerai. I was sooo tempted to just toss it in the recycle can or set it on fire or something, it took great self-control to simply move it to behind the Obligatory Bushes.

The other pest to contend with is Lower Neighbor's chihuahua. It has a wonderful new habit, which has manifested only since Friday night, of howling and barking without end. I guess they are neglecting it and went out for the evening Friday night, Saturday night and tonight, and I sort of feel sorry for the dog (the size of 2 fists together), but that howling and shrieking gets on your nerves, right? I rarely see these neighbors, literally only in passing, to tell them that their doglet is a pain in the behind.

• schiba
    10 years ago

Different people have different concepts of what it is to garden. It may not be your idea of beautiful, but I think you should respect anothers' attempts at making something beautiful. If someone does something in kindness, let it be. It will not hurt you, and it makes them smile.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

schiba,

I did not go through the great expense and effort to make that garden happen only to have it become a dumping ground for every kind of tacky garbage the neighbor thinks to stick in it. I'd rather rip it all out and plant it elsewhere than to have to see a whole fleet of 99 cent store garbage pop up there. You would not be able to really see and appreciate the beauty of the plants, carefully chosen for that particular environment and to complement one another, for the garish distractions of this garbage. Who is to say that he will stop at these 3 ugly objects? Maybe he has hillbilly tastes and feels it won't be complete without 15 such signs and garden gnomes and junk like that. Whereas I appreciate that he probably thought he was "helping", don't you think it would only have been polite to ASK me before just sticking this junk in the garden? He has absolutely ZERO investment, either financially or in hard labor, in the garden. If I had known he was going to stick junky looking stuff in the garden, I wouldn't have bothered. I would have left it the ugly dry clods of soil that I found it. That would have been the perfect setting for his tacky junky garbage signs.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

After all your efforts...it would hurt me in the same situation. And where were all these people who want to add their "delightful" touches when the whole place was WEEDS and a mess before you began your fine efforts? Good to re-locate some of that crap. Name a hosta after them with a (very) low positioned name tag to keep them happy...they won't know the difference and will bask in the glory.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Gotta say, Esther, I'm with ya on this. I don't blame you one bit for being disgusted and p*ssed off. Eee-Yuck!

Sympathetic,
    Don B.

P.S. The Asian man and the junk-pot, although not a humorous situation, the way you describe it in writing had me howling with laughter.

• schiba
    10 years ago

Was it a community garden then? I had a similar thing happen to me when I refurbished a community garden and everyone then started to put their own things in. Secretly, I did not like the stuff they put in, but it was not my land. Larger perennials were put in the front of the garden, weedy spiderwort was added... I decided that their good intentions were most important. But that is just me! I offer another take on it is all.

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Hey, watch it , esther! I have two garden gnomes! (grin)

Seriously, I think most of the garden "decoratives" are junky looking too. Especially ones in BRIGHT colors. I try to stay with more muted colors for my here and there pots and other little bits of statues and pottery.

But I do have to admit I have a small flamingo in one of the hosta gardens. It's a family joke and I couldn't stay in the family If I didn't. ; )

Keep us informed of further developments!

chris

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris, this giant vulgar double pinwheel with the big fake sunflower attached to the front could not be any brighter unless it was a star going nova. A family flamingo, just one, I guess you could learn to live with.

This is NOT a community garden. I asked permission of both Upper Neighbor and Lower Neighbor if I could plant the unused plot in front of their common entry door. They both agreed to let me plant it. No hideous pinwheels or tacky signs had ever been planted there while the plot was nothing but plain dry clods of clay soil. Nothing was there at all except a healthy dose of Ugly. If I was given permission to plant it, no discussion took place of any "sharing" or other people adding to the garden. Since they had never bothered themselves about it before, it was sort of understood that if I planted the garden, I had say over what would happen in the garden as far as plants and decorations. Lower Neighbor complimented me profusely on the result, telling me she never realized how beautiful that space could be. I have to believe that it was the Chinese Upper Neighbor, he of the gift-pot salvaged from the garbage and the numerous cigarette butts I finally prevailed on him not to have deposited all around the garden, who is responsible for this.

I wonder if he will take the hint of the sign moved from my raised bed rose garden to in back of the Obligatory Bushes, that his idea of "helping" the gardens was not universal.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

wow... I can get a big double pinwheel with a sunflower - AT THE 99 CENT STORE! SCORE!!!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Idiothe your too funny! In my retirement community we have the "grounds police." Once a year they tour the place with clipboards in hand and make note of unwanted lawn or garden ornaments. Once they discretely (NOT) removed a stone teddy bear my son gifted me and put in my storage closet. Then a said letter is sent to the offenders with a time line to remove them. I just hung a hummingbird feeder. We'll see how long that lasts. HA!

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

It is a difficult thing to not feel ownership in working with community property. I understand you felt you put your mark on the space so it was YOURS. It seems because you asked you acknowledged the plot is not your property. I am lead environmental minster at our church. I put great effort into planning and prepping for a new install. I have to chant all the way through the planning "this is not mine" I know when my help arrives they will have their take. I know once we set up parishioners will come along and use the space to suit them, move things for their own reasons..this is part of the deal. If you are unable to give up "ownership" you will go INSANE. I feel your frustration and I am not saying it isn't justified..I am just saying this is not how the world of joint space works and it will be better for you if you can LET IT GO.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I think the answer lies in the definition of a community which is a "group" of people living together in one place, for instance, my retirement community. That definition doesn't apply to this situation where there was a mutual agreement between two neighbors to plant a garden. It will not be viewed by a "community."

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After several years of asking both Upper Neighbor and Lower Neighbor if they were going to plant the garden plot, and hearing "Maybe" from L.N. and nothing at all from U.N., I repeated the question this spring. Both U.N. and L.N. told me, "Go ahead, plant the garden. I'm not going to use it." Neither neighbor has shown any interest in previous years in using that garden space in front of their bushes. They didn't do a single thing to the space. Once I turned it into a visual delight vs. dry clods of clay soil, THEN the U.N. decides to "get into gardening". His concept of that is to bypass the great expense, the time spent deciding what to plant and acquiring same, the expertise of knowing what will thrive there, the hard labor of breaking up the sod and turning it over, hammering in the fence, carrying over 100 lbs. of good soil 50' from a car and mixing it in with the clay junky soil that was there, etc. You should have seen the sweat pouring off me as I did this. He certainly did, and walked right on by. Then he simply sees gaudy cheap junk and decides that THIS is what the garden needs. Only after I made the tremendous effort to make a lovely garden. It's EXACTLY like the Little Red Hen. Who will help me plant the wheat? No one. Who will help me harvest the wheat? No one. Who will help me grind the flour? No one Who will help me eat the goodies I made from the flour? Oh, sign me UP!!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Show us pictures

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Almosthooked,

I very recently posted pics of my garden plots here, BEFORE the invasion of the 99 cent store kitsch. I will endeavor, after getting home today, to take some cell phone pics for rapid posting. Taking pics of THAT stuff simply isn't worth the price of developing film.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Esther,I have very few"chotskies" in my garden,but I have 3 garden gnomes in my yard that will always stay. I hand-painted them,fired them in a kiln,and I have had them for about 15 years. One thing I found out,though. Take them in every winter. I used to have 5 of them,but when they freeze,they crack,and disintegrate,eventually. Now,I bring them in every winter. I agree with your saying you don't want the junk in your garden area. I wouldn't either! Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I've trained my Pug to DESTROY cheap-looking, gaudy junk on command......GOOD DOG!!!

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

awwww ester????

they are honored your garden in the only way they know how ...

perhaps you need to go a bit zen on them ...

dont you think?

did they tear it up???... physically ruin it???

come on.. work with your inner child.. and let them play.. they are happy you did it ...

knowing what little i know about NYC.. personally.. i am surprised someone hasnt used it as a toilet [i dont know you well enough to type what i really thought ] .. and with that in mind.. a whirly gig or two.. might be the highest compliment they can offer ...

you have taken a PUBLIC place.. set your own vision.. and now want to bar the PUBLIC.... for ruining your vision ..... whats that all about ...lol ????

ooohhhhmmmmm

ken

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, this is NOT a "public place". This garden plot is basically "plant it if you want to" for the Upper Neighbor and the Lower Neighbor. They both told me that I could plant the space as they were not going to use it, They have never used it, I can't imagine them using it.

The presence of their garish cheap additions takes the viewer's attention away from the TRUE "zen" of the garden--the PLANTS.

Pinwheel - colors are a little off, was using cell phone that doesn't have the greatest camera:

One of the two cheapo signs they stuck into the soil:

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Yes, when you live with other people in the same house you have to cut them some slack. Other people have the right to different opinions. We live with our very active now 10 year old grandson, and we cut him a lot of slack.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bernd, this is not a bunch of people living in the same house. This is people living in separate co-op apartments. They ceded me their garden plot, and after I made considerable investment in it of money, time, and labor, then they decide to negate all I did by adding this tasteless junk to the garden, not even asking me first.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Esther,

This whole thing reads like a situation comedy. These neighbors of yours are "gardening" in the only way they know how. Unfortunately it's hideous. But they don't know it's hideous. I think I saw this on an episode of "Keeping Up Appearances." I think you should up the ante and put in a pink plastic flamingo. Two can shop at the dollar store.

Steve

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Esther
    I have seen much worse garden junk and it may be all they could afford to purchase at the time .They maybe thought it nice. Not really worth getting the blood pressure up or the stress factor causing you to worry and lose sleep over. Is there somewhere else you could move your plants to that would be just your area? I realize that you have put in a lot of work into it but really not much enjoyment when not get along with your neighbors .What does Co-op mean anyway? I take it that everyone shares common ground but have their own apartments they rent?
    This is not intended to be critical just inquiring . Please don't take offense. Just wondering if it is really worth it.

Happy to live in the country and do what I want in my own yard . Faye

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

first pic.. just above...

i HATE IT ... my daughter.. at 3 bought a similar thing 11 years ago ... on a visit to the dollar store... with my mom/dad ....

i still put it up EVERY YEAR ... and i hate it...

but it brings me joy ... dads gone.. moms around.. and my daughter is a teenager ....

you just cant get out of your NY state of mind ... they are appreciating your work .... and thanking you .... encouraging you .... roll with it ....

ooohhhmmmm

ken

ill check my PB acct.. see if i cant show it to you .. oh yeah.. there it is.. near dead center ...
    {{gwi:211254}}
    and that freakin gourd that grandma gave them.. and they spread the seeds all over the patio.. and next summer.. my god.. lol ..bottom left corner

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

I'm sure you've heard the sayings...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or Different strokes for different folks...

Who ever did this is just trying to show you appreciation for what you have done and wants to contribute something to the garden.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. At least they didn't rip the plants out or destroy them and I'm betting the stick houses and pinwheel won't be there that long before some kid takes them.

Awww Ken, that's so sweet that you still have the pinwheel after all this time!

Linda

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faye,

A cooperative ("Co-op") is an apartment complex wherein you buy shares, i.e., you buy an apartment. It is accorded a certain amount of shares in the complex, depending on its square footage. You do not own any land, nor do you own the building. You own shares. You can remodel, paint, etc. within your apartment. You pay a mortgage to a bank, just like a private house. You don't pay rent. You're not a renter, you're a shareholder, a homeowner.

We have 930 2-story garden apartment units on 70 acres of lawn, shrubs and trees. For living in the city, it's pretty suburban. The community here in my area is really like a village. You can cross Main Street, there is very little traffic. People are friendly. We have a homemade ice cream shop here which is nationally famous. Five pizza shops with the most delicious pizza ever. I have a mailbox only a block away, at the corner, which is also where I can catch a bus to the subway. I can walk to the library, post office, hardware stores, clothing stores, a movie theatre, bakeries, opticians, physicians, Flushing Meadow Park, etc. all within about a square mile. Oh yeah, we have GARDENS, too!

• marquest
    10 years ago

The pinwheel looks like it is going to have that hosta for lunch. It is funny but it is not a big deal. It would have made me laugh. But that is me.

Maybe someone was trying to complete the garden. All the Famous gardens around the world have hardscape.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'd wait a decent interval... then by dark of night remove the pinwheel and give it to Goodwill... then the next time I saw the neighbor I'd ask if they knew what happened to it... and commiserate with them about how kids nowadays will take anything that is not nailed down.

Repeat as necessary.

But really... as much as they offend your eye... they don't seem like such a big deal visually to me as an outside observer.

I think the reason I'd have to have them gone is I wouldn't want anyone to believe I'd actually put such things in my garden...

on the other hand, people come into our gardens and see maybe 50 eclectic things around... and some of them just can't "get" the 6 foot tall Chinese Temple Incense Burner... or why I put a 1600 pound rock on my deck... or why we have about 250 railroad ties around the place... so lots of people wonder why the heck we put such stuff in our gardens...

and - I have to admit - some of our stuff is art and some of it is folk art - and the single item that gets the most comments is an old gazing ball that sits in a holder on the ground. It is about the size of a bowling ball and lost all its silver. One Mother's Day my physically-handicapped daughter couldn't help the rest of us in the garden clean up project, so she sat for hours with a hot-glue gun and glued copper pennies all over that ball.

Not art... not folk art... pure tchotchke - and people love it.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Idiothe,

I have dark fantasies about what happens when a BBQ lighter flame touches plastic. Will it just burn? Will it melt and drip? Will the pinwheel whirl around as it completes immolation? The 2 tacky garden signs are wooden, and therefore just so predictable. Some smoke, some crackle, and then ash.

Then again, this IS NYC, where things "disappear" from yards. Perhaps the pinwheel will develop an urge to tour the neighborhood and the 2 tacky wooden signs will whine until it takes them along, too. I know where there's a dumpster which is none too well guarded...

It's just so EMBARRASSING to have these hideous things in the garden I created! I am afraid people will think I put them there!

Just today, while I was out watering the pinwheel and 2 tacky signs, THREE passersby complimented me on the garden. There!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Those items are even more hideous than I ever imagined. Destroy them. Go David Copperfield on 'em; Make 'em disappear. For the good of humanity.

Don B.

P.S. I'm only-half kidding. : )

P.P.S. Actually, it's time to resite all your nice hosta and Heuchera in pots for your patio and shove some 'Yellow Splash Rim' into the bare holes. They'd go with the 'decor' much better.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 3:14

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Well, yeah, they're kind of tacky, but maybe your neighbors are just trying to show their appreciation. Some people think "garden art" and color are essential parts of a garden. Perhaps they're looking at your garden and thinking "She's got it all wrong, it's just green. I'll brighten it up."

The good thing is, that kind of stuff doesn't last.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don,

If only I HAD a patio. Whaddya think this is? Fancy schmancy? I'd settle for a nice lawn. My handicapped neighbor and I were just discussing yesterday whether we had a lawn or a clover field. I really have to watch it when I go to water the gardens so I don't step on or otherwise tick off a bee. I've been asking them to trim the 50% dead branches off the tree in the hosta garden for 2 years. Might as well try rice farming on Mt. Evans!

In keeping with the "decor", Don, it would be more in the theme of things were I to stop off at the 99 cent store, purchase some plastic flowers of improbable colors and put THEM in place of the carefully-chosen hosta and heuchies. Maybe the Lower Neighbor's noise-machine chihuahua could further "decorate" them in his own little way. The Chinese guy would probably think he'd died and gone to heaven.