Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Got my Hosta Fix this morning...

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

...gone almost a week for a wedding, so grabbed my camera. Nice cool day, great for the hostas.

Vulcan, 2nd year and doing well.

Krossa Regal, growing mostly in shade and a little elevated.

Hoosier Dome, keeps getting better....although no great leaps yet.

Krugerrand, starting to get some height....and nice color.

Verna Jean, quickly filling in.

Fresh, loved the color against the contrasting seedlings.

Orange Marmalade, moved it temporarily as it was getting buried....this is the one I've shown before with the twisty form.... a little variation that got thru tissue culture culling.

Blueberry Muffin holding court with his yellow groupies.

Cutting Edge showing off.

Cathedral Windows is starting to get going with the warmer temps.

On Stage always late to show up in Spring, but some things are worth waiting for...

Striptease before the center yellows up. Moved this one 3 years back to give it more room.....the hosta that ate the East Garden.

Daybreak - yellowing up....picture doesn't do it justice....should show some bronzes and some lighter yellows as well

Thanks for taking a look.

Paul

Comments (34)

• WILDernessWen
    9 years ago

Lovely, WW

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Onstage is so beautiful! What is the small chartreuse with the yellow center line visible under blueberry muffin. Your pictures are lovely.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Your hosta are a feast for the eyes!

DD

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Wonderful, wonderful, and wonderful! Now I just got my hosta fix too!

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Such beautiful hostas you have, Paul! I love them all, and I really need to add Blueberry Muffin and On Stage to my wish list :) LOL, I see you've already got a question about the small one in front of Blueberry Muffin. I was going to ask the same thing.

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Your Hoosier Dome has me sold... I love Niagara Falls, but have War Paint so I think HD the spawn of NF will ensure I have all bases covered.... or who am I kidding... I have Bridal Falls as well... I need to get Niagara and Hoosier. Lord help me if Niagara Falls has more off spring.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. Blueberry Muffin is wonderful. I'm thinking right now about where I can put one.

I had to downsize my Strip Tease this year. I chunked a piece off, divided to donate to the hosta society sale. Yet it looks just as big as it was last year. Its a great plant.

Beverly

• kalija
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful - thanks for sharing them with us! Really love that Krugerrand, and Blueberry Muffin.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Paul, your OM with its uniqueness really appeals to me! You have such beautiful hosta and your pictures always capture them so well....such a treat! Thank you.

Jo

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Love your plants,Paul,but the more I see hostas from'up nort',the more I think that it's a northern plant,and I should just go away,and not post any more pics of mine! Phil

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments. It's been a good season for hostas 'Up Nort', late spring evaded all the frost issues and temps have stayed down so far.....past couple of years we had 90's early that fried some young leaves. Deer hit early but seem to found other flora for now; have a rabbit that has been using the hostas for cover, but seems to be ordering out so far.

The small hosta below Blueberry Muffin is Mango Tango. Planted in 2012 so probably has 3 more years to fill out, so far growing ok.

Paul

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

That's going to be a real beauty when mature! The colors remind me slightly of Olive Branch but more narrow centers on this one.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Paul,I liked your Cathedral Windows so much,I thought I'd post one of mine. This is one of my 'driveway hostas',as I call them. Phil

{{gwi:1036061}}

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking good Phil, Cathedral Windows and some of the fragrants seem to take a while to get going each year....I suspect they like the warmer temps....just a guess.

Paul

• playinmud
    9 years ago

Beautiful; a real pick me up after a tough day. Thanks for sharing.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Enjoyed each and every one.
    Thanks

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

It is a joy to view your hosta pictures. Thanks so much.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Good stuff, Paul. Thanks for the pics. Gotta get me a Blueberry Muffin.

Don B.

• fayemo
    9 years ago

Just beautiful! It is fun to see what a Northern Hosta Lover has growing.
    Someday I will also get around to posting from the North. Thanks for sharing!

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Andddd on to the list goes mango tango and blueberry muffins. Paul I love your placement of blues and yellows, they really catch the eye! That is one big striptease, wow!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. REALLY nice photos and hosta.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Paul, your plants are so beautifully grown. Your blues are SO blue. Do you have Prairie Sky? I can only imagine how blue one in your garden would get.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful! The Orange Marmalade you have is the one which inspired me to get one....then mine turned out to be a plain thing with no fancy leaf like yours. TC failure? not in my book. It looks wonderful.

I also have Mango Tango and like it a lot. Also Dance With Me is a great one too. Lot of color going on when they are near one another. Your Mango Tango is a fine example of a nicely grown plant. I am making up a list of small or medium hosta to give my daughter (DH's daughter) for her new home. First time she's shown any interest in gardening and she said the magic word HOSTA like music in my ears. Now I have another garden to get hosta for! MT is definitely on that list.

And so is Verna Jean. I'm sold on it personally, it makes a dependable mass planting too. Yours looks so good. I thought I was the only one loved this little low priced beauty. Glad to see it in the finest gardens.

Verna Jean with The Razor's Edge in a tub at my house.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the comments....happy to do my part enabling others.

Don B., your Prairie Sky is beautiful....will add to my list. How big does it get?

Moc, thanks for sharing your Verna Jean pic...picked mine up at a hostaphile's home.

Paul

• maow
    9 years ago

Hi Paul,
    Your hostas are so impressive and perfect, everytime I stumble upon a thread and see your photos, I just want it all. I feel relieved if I see something that I like and you have it, I guess it gives me some sort of validation.
    I had Kruggerand on my list, but can't seem to find him in Canada, how old is it? Is it in a lot of sun and does it keep its yellow color all season?
    Now I have to get blueberry muffin too after seeing yours.
    What is the gorgeous light yellow centered one in the lower right corner with striptease? My striptease wants a friend too.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maow, thanks for the nice comments. Krugerrand was planted in 2011. It is lutescent.....gets more golden later in the season. Planted just north of tree line so bright area, but not sunny.

The yellow centered hosta near Striptease is Great Expectation...growing in bright area, a bit of morning sun. GE took a jump this year, so I'm hopeful it is happy and will be successful. There are a lot of GE threads and stories of lost GE's....I've planted two, one in shade that finally added divisions this year and the one above. Colors are quite different with the light, below is the shade GE from a couple of days ago....center is much less yellow.

Paul

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

I think my girls and I need to come get our hosta fix at Hosta-Paul's sometime soon! Big girl asked about you recently!

• maow
    9 years ago

Paul, everything is perfect, just perfect! You enable without speaking a word! Thanks, will hunt for a big GE.

• maow
    9 years ago

Hey Paul, I went out to buya great expectation today, hope it grows up to be like yours one day.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry Paul, I missed your Prairie Sky question...Mine is only about 2 feet across, had it since 2012. The HL lists the leaves at adult size as 7 x 6 inches. Listed as a 'medium', but then I see a pic like Don Rawson's Irish Luck, and I'm left shaking my head in wonder and amazement...

Don B.

• maow
    9 years ago

Paul, the right side of orange marmalade, is it tokudama F.? Iam thinking of getting a nice blue abd green to plant beside my prairie fire dogwood.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maow , you're in the right family....it's Heat Wave (sport of Bright Lights which is a Tokudama Aureonebulosa sport). Center will yellow latter in summer. Tokudama Flavocircinalis has a light margin and dark center.

Paul

• irawon
    9 years ago

How in the world did I miss this thread? All of your hostas are stunning, Paul.

Don, I have Prairie Sky. Yours is beautiful and a much deeper blue than mine...also nicely proportioned.. way to go. Hope mine catches up.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations