Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_gary

Did H. Stained Glass Sport???????

mr_gary
10 years ago

Okay I posted this picture of H. Stained Glass with 2 eye's that had green leaves. I was advisied to separate the eyes, plant and post pic's. Because I have not mastered loading multi pic's please bare with me. I was able to separate the hosta without the use of a knife. For those of you more knowledgable does this appear to be a sport? Or just a variation? Gary

Comments (24)

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

H. Stained Glass after...

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the other portion removed from H. Stained Glass.

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both plants after separation

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

H. Stained Glass

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Divisions removed from H. Stained Glass

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Nice job! Looks like they're recovering well. Would the greenie be like Fried Green Tomatoes?

To post multi photos you just continue typing into the post by hitting the return button, btw.

• User
    10 years ago

I cannot say about hosta genetics.

The family tree begins with Fragrant Bouquet.
    Then there is Guacamole. Guacamole, which has yellow center with green margins, has 27 sports so far. Among others, Fried Green Tomatos and Stained Glass are sports of Guacamole.

Stained Glass has yet to sport a solid green hosta. So far they are solid yellow (Amber Glass and Tortilla Chip).... or gold with green margins (Emerald Charger and Cathedral Windows).
    Plus, Cathedral Windows sported a solid yellow, The Shining.I have the whole Stained Glass fragrant family. Love em all.

Fried Green Tomatos is uniformly described as a "frosty green" early in the year, which darkens and develops more shine as the season progresses. It is considered the "all green" version of Guacamole.

I highly recommend, Mr. Gary, that you take a look at the sports section of the website MYHOSTAS.BE and look up Guacamole and also Stained Glass and Fried Green Tomatos.
    Interesting family tree. Great web site.

What I'm wondering....can Stained Glass sport one of its siblings (so to speak)....produce a Fried Green Tomato which was originally produced/sported by their mutual parent? Sounds a bit incestuous to me. :)

I'd say according to my logic, that it could be (best case) a new hosta with different characteristics than Fried Green Tomatos. Was there any "frosty" stage of green with this strange pair of eyes, which might indicate a similarity to FGTomatos?

Or, could there have been a random little seedling or two of FGTomatos stuck in the roots of your Stained Glass when it was shipped from the nursery? Where did you get this hosta and when? Was it divided off a mature plant? Or was it, like mine, a tissue culture grown on a couple of years and shipped within the last two years? Those two Green Eyes appear every bit as mature as your Stained Glass.

Well, my brain is getting tired of so much thinking with no proof to back up anything. I have no more questions. It is neat as heck though, that here you have two beautiful Green Eyes off a major fragrant hosta, and I'd give a bottle of tequila to have my hosta do that!

You sure did a fine job of separating out those two eyes, Gary. All survived nicely, and look great. You are a fortunate hosta fancier.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Because I have not mastered loading multi pic's please bare with me.

What would our spousal units say to find us naked behind the 'puter..... sorry Gary, just couldn't resist...

Looks to me like you have a sport here, which you got give a garden name such as "Solid Glass" for example. Enjoy it, like I enjoy my "Green Revolution" sports out of 'Revolution'!

Pieter

• User
    10 years ago

Pieter, bless you for thinking it is a real honest-to-pete sport of lovely Stained Glass!

I'd be remiss if I did not put in an alternate name.....oh how I love naming things, or imagining all manner of joyful things......

and as a life long women's libber, I'd be remiss not suggesting another great name..
    ...... GLASS CEILING ....

unless GLASS must remain second.....okay that means consider something like
    FIRST GLASS
    SAFETY GLASS
    SMOKED GLASS ....which is my favorite, because this sport seems destined to turn very dark.

And you know, Mr Gary, the best part is, we've got a new fragrant personality in the garden. Ohhh, cannot wait to see this baby develop! You've got the right parent, the right color (I mean who can beat GREEN and FRAGRANT and out of STAINED GLASS.) Unbeatable family tree. What a happy event.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

where is my post????

weird.. dont you know the tape trick???

if you dont tape them up fast.. those leave may never stand up again ...

use the GW search for: moving a fully leafed out hosta ...

ken

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

The green spot of Hosta 'Stained Glass' is generally considered to be the same as Hosta 'Fried Green Tomatoes' and some labs sell it as that when they cull the green ones from Stained Glass out of tissue culture.

• mr_gary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Weekendweeder, thanks on the "nice job" comment and yes they are recovering well. I don't have Fried Green Tomatoes nor do I know that much about it. Oh, and I did figure out the multi pic procedure.
    @ Moccasinlanding, thanks for all your information and I'm glad you liked the separation of the two eyes. All did survive nicely and yes I do feel like a fortunate hosta fancier.
    @ Pieter, LOL! at "What would our spousal units say to find us naked behind the 'puter..... sorry Gary, just couldn't resist..." no problem. It's reassuring to know you feel I have a real sport. Thanks for all the name suggestions although I had two names in mind, one was Emerald Scent and Emerald Stain. I decide that scented flower or not I liked Emerald Stain the best.
    @ Ctopher, so your thoughts on this is that this is Hosta 'Fried Green Tomatoes? and that Stained Glass as a reputation for doing this. To be far I suppose we have to look at every aspect to get the call right. In any case thank you all for your feedback and comments. I'm really looking forward to see if H. Emerald Stain is stable and what it's growth will be and if it is or isn't FGT. I'll post pictures and keep you guys posted as thing progress. There's excitement in the air but I don't want to put the carriage in front of the horse. My biggest excitement will be next spring once ES breaks ground and leafs out to a solid green leaf with a fragrant flower. Gary

• threedogsmom
    6 years ago

My Stained Glass has a green eye this year (after being stable for 10 years previously) and it looks like the one pictured at the beginning of this post. Wondering if there is any update to the original post or if others have seen the same sport occurring in their own plants? I may try to save the sport by removing it from the original plant, but not sure if I have a need for another all green hosta.

• miketropic
    6 years ago

Ken..I cannot believe you missed a chance to give the OP extra credit points for posting pics of them thrown on the driveway..

• Gary 5b Central Illinois
    5 years ago

@ threedogsmom I haven’t done and update on Emeralde Stain since 2013, once it had grown more and leafed out I’ll update pictures.

Gary

• Barb Ure Drouillard 6b Canada
    5 years ago

Mocc - love the Glass Ceiling name LOL And what a geneology you provided!

• threedogsmom
    5 years ago

I never split mine out last year and will look again this year to see if it was stable this year. My SG is almost fully leafed out this year but needs to color up a bit this week.

4 years ago

Seems I’ve forgotten how to post multiple pic. lol!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

After one pic has loaded just click the photo icon button again. You can add text between the photos or not. Emerald Stain is very attractive in it's own right.

4 years ago

Okay peren.all got it! Thank and Emerald Stain does get better each year in looks, texture and size.

• don_in_colorado
    4 years ago

One Emerald Stain, please! : )

4 years ago

Don’t mean to keep hammering this 2013 sport of Stain Glass but after 6 years Emerald Stain is finally getting leaf size and a bit of height. Let’s see what the summer brings. Lol!!! Bare with me!

• almosthooked zone5
    4 years ago

Beautiful ! I would be thrilled to have one that looks like your Emerald Stain and it sure has grown into a great hosta