Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Annual pics

hostahosta
9 years ago

Like many of you I take annual pics to document all of my hosta so I can compare one year to the next. I've enjoyed looking at yours, so here are a few of mine. Sorry, I can only post one pic per message.

Earth Angel

Comments (19)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dream Queen

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elegans

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

L'il Abner

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snow Cap

Not favored by many due to tearing edges. Bought these 4-5 years ago before I knew anything about hosta. They've just been hanging out in an out of the way part of the garden. Kinda liking what they are doing this year.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Majesty

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lakeside Shore Master

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sun Power

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Showboat (with lots of slug holes)

Thanks for looking!

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Love your Dream Queen and Majesty!

• User
    9 years ago

GREAT pictures of some beautiful hosta. Really fine looking. I enjoyed the Sun Power with the fern....such a great combination and a glamor shot for sure.

I decided this year that slug holes are a part of gardening and no fault counted against the plant. It is fighting the good fight and thriving, slugs or no. So your Showtime will be producing some flower scapes in the next month and it will look good doing it. FRAGRANT flowers too. Nice looking plant.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Your LIL ABNER makes me even happier that I purchased one !

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Awesome pics, your plants look great, and that goes for the other plants, too (like the Sweet William underneath your 'Earth Angel, nice touch.) Your 'Lil Abner' is quite the eye catcher.

Cheers!
    Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, REALLY lovely pics of your hostas! Showboat and Elegans are the only ones I don't have. I fell in love with LSM last year and this year it's even more lovely with larger leaves. I can't walk by it without touching it! Yours is beautiful. How old is it please?

LOVE the colour/plant combo with Sun Power. Outstanding!

Jo

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Very nice! I agree with Mocc- slugs are pretty unavoidable for most of us.

Snow cap must be similar to Barbara Ann, with the drawstringing. I've decided to just accept that, too. My Barbara Ann has a few leaves this year that look good, so I was happy with that!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Dream Queen and Majesty are looking spectacular, and I can only hope the Lil Abner I added this year looks like yours someday.

Snowcap isn't a favorite of mine, will pull it out someday when I need space. It's not so much the splitting, it just doesn't seem very attractive. Ditto Carnival - both pretty when purchased, but ugly as adults. Barbara Ann is being replaced, too.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your compliments.

Mocc and coll: I agree about the slug holes. You can't mess with Mother Nature, they are unavoidable, especially where I live in the woods. I have been doing my nightly slug patrol with my spray bottle of ammonia, but they are never ending!

Mocc: Didn't know Showboat is fragrant! Bonus!!

Leaf: my L'il Abner was new in May. Wasn't sure when I purchased it, but love the colors.

Madplanter: I also have Carnival and Barbara Ann, both new and young, disappointed to hear your comments. Well, BA will stay as that is my name! Will see on the others.

• User
    9 years ago

MadPlanter, could you start a thread please about Carnival? I got one this spring and it was damaged in shipping but is surviving now. You said yours doesn't look good as an adult. I'm interested in your photos of the plant. I'd appreciate a thread on this?

Thanks. I'll look for it soon. :)

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, I misspoke.
    SHOWBOAT is not fragrant.
    SHOWTIME is fragrant.
    I am so sorry.
    I lose my mind sometimes.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting your beauties! My favorite is Lil Abner, which I will have to add to my wishlist....er, let's face it, it's pretty much a "buy list"!