Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual pics

Posted by hostahosta (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 21:35

Like many of you I take annual pics to document all of my hosta so I can compare one year to the next. I've enjoyed looking at yours, so here are a few of mine. Sorry, I can only post one pic per message.

Earth Angel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual pics

Dream Queen

o

Elegans

o

L'il Abner

o

Snow Cap

Not favored by many due to tearing edges. Bought these 4-5 years ago before I knew anything about hosta. They've just been hanging out in an out of the way part of the garden. Kinda liking what they are doing this year.

o

Majesty

o

Lakeside Shore Master

o

Sun Power

o

Showboat (with lots of slug holes)

Thanks for looking!

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:57

Love your Dream Queen and Majesty!

o

GREAT pictures of some beautiful hosta. Really fine looking. I enjoyed the Sun Power with the fern....such a great combination and a glamor shot for sure.

I decided this year that slug holes are a part of gardening and no fault counted against the plant. It is fighting the good fight and thriving, slugs or no. So your Showtime will be producing some flower scapes in the next month and it will look good doing it. FRAGRANT flowers too. Nice looking plant.

o

Your LIL ABNER makes me even happier that I purchased one !

o

Awesome pics, your plants look great, and that goes for the other plants, too (like the Sweet William underneath your 'Earth Angel, nice touch.) Your 'Lil Abner' is quite the eye catcher.

Cheers!
Don B.

o

Hostahosta, REALLY lovely pics of your hostas! Showboat and Elegans are the only ones I don't have. I fell in love with LSM last year and this year it's even more lovely with larger leaves. I can't walk by it without touching it! Yours is beautiful. How old is it please?

LOVE the colour/plant combo with Sun Power. Outstanding!

Jo

o

Very nice! I agree with Mocc- slugs are pretty unavoidable for most of us.

Snow cap must be similar to Barbara Ann, with the drawstringing. I've decided to just accept that, too. My Barbara Ann has a few leaves this year that look good, so I was happy with that!

o

Dream Queen and Majesty are looking spectacular, and I can only hope the Lil Abner I added this year looks like yours someday.

Snowcap isn't a favorite of mine, will pull it out someday when I need space. It's not so much the splitting, it just doesn't seem very attractive. Ditto Carnival - both pretty when purchased, but ugly as adults. Barbara Ann is being replaced, too.

o

Thanks for your compliments.

Mocc and coll: I agree about the slug holes. You can't mess with Mother Nature, they are unavoidable, especially where I live in the woods. I have been doing my nightly slug patrol with my spray bottle of ammonia, but they are never ending!

Mocc: Didn't know Showboat is fragrant! Bonus!!

Leaf: my L'il Abner was new in May. Wasn't sure when I purchased it, but love the colors.

Madplanter: I also have Carnival and Barbara Ann, both new and young, disappointed to hear your comments. Well, BA will stay as that is my name! Will see on the others.

o

MadPlanter, could you start a thread please about Carnival? I got one this spring and it was damaged in shipping but is surviving now. You said yours doesn't look good as an adult. I'm interested in your photos of the plant. I'd appreciate a thread on this?

Thanks. I'll look for it soon. :)

o

OMG, I misspoke.
SHOWBOAT is not fragrant.
SHOWTIME is fragrant.
I am so sorry.
I lose my mind sometimes.

o

Thanks for posting your beauties! My favorite is Lil Abner, which I will have to add to my wishlist....er, let's face it, it's pretty much a "buy list"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here