Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfrench200

Pictures of my garden

dfrench200 (7a)
9 years ago

Just a couple of photos of some of my hosta in the garden. Hope you like!

Comments (21)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

You have some beautiful specimens. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• hagar23
    9 years ago

What a nice combination of colors...very nice !

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Only one word - lovely!

Okay, two words: elegant and lovely.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Very nice. Do you have more and could you share what they are?

Jon

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

Love the birdbath! Also like seeing the addition of mixed perennials and coleus too. Very nice!

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Awesome, really well laid out. I agree the Coleus are a nice touch.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Lovely! The layout is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I love the curved beds. Nice design.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Your garden is very beautiful! I love the coleus in there too! It adds a nice punch of color.

Linda

• User
    9 years ago

Is that a sun coleus? They come in a deep red/burgundy and chartreuse/green as well. I like that bird bath. It is substantial enough to look right at home with those monster sized hosta. Great scale.

Your fence back in the shadows sort of disappears. I discovered this effect at twilight in my garden, and that adds an element of infinite distance to your garden. The fence and everything beyond disappears.

Please post more photos. You have a beautiful garden.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting your beautiful garden!!! What is the big, huge blue at the lower right corner of your 2nd picture? In the pic, it almost looks like it is streaked?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Nice layout and nice plants, thanks.

tj

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Oh yeah! Love it!

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Very nice.

• dfrench200 (7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the nice comments! To answer a couple of questions: The coleus are not specifically sun coleus, but they are doing well even with a little bit of afternoon sun. The large blue hosta in the second photo is "Spilt Milk" one of my favs... More photos to come!!

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, that is Spilt Milk? Wow, I had no idea the leaves would get as big as that. Your hosta and a couple others shown of late have convinced me to get it for next spring. We're "Having A Heat Wave" here now and I'm not up to babying new hosta through the wilted stage.

I'll look for coleus at my favorite local nursery. Cuttings over the winter will be a good way to begin next year. They root so easily.

• dfrench200 (7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moccasinlanding: coleus are great! I buy a few early, cut them back to the first set of leaves and root the cuttings by just sticking them in the ground! My Spilt Milk has been in the ground for about 4 or 5 yrs. gets better each year. My mother in law said "I'd like to have a piece of that one. " pointing to Spilt Milk. I quickly changed the subject...

• User
    9 years ago

Ooooh, touchy subject when a MIL wants something precious.
    I think having a new one shipped to her would cut that short. She has good taste.

My two gardening neighbors are not familiar with hosta except they each have "the green one" from Lowes. When they visited my hosta garden, one hinted "they're so BIG this year!" and "I sure like this one with yellow and a green edge." So for Mother's Day I bought each of them a 'Paradise Island' like mine, but not the same size. I know what you mean about changing the subject.

It's too late to be early with coleus, but I'll catch a few reduced in another week or so. Hard to realize the first day of summer is June 21 and that is 11 days off!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Fantastic garden! More pics! More pics!! : )

Don B.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Beautiful layout. That's a Japanese maple, yes?

• dfrench200 (7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Yep, Japanese Maple in the second photo on the right.