Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

Help with Earth Angel

mbug_gw
10 years ago

During Hurricane Sandy I lost a big old oak in my backyard. My neighbor lost a smaller one that gave me some good shade. They both blocked mid day to afternoon sun. The good news is they missed the house and didn't do to much damage to the beds. The bad news is I lost shade and my backyard fence. The fence was easy to replace, the shade is another story.
I've been making what ajustments I can. Some good growers were starting to fry. They were smaller and I managed to find them shade (I'm still learning which ones take more direct sun.)
The Earth Angel is big... 4 feet + .
{{gwi:1044337}}
This is the side facing away from the sun with quarter on leaf for idea of size
{{gwi:1044338}}

Facing toward sun
{{gwi:1044339}}

What should I do? We have only had a few really hot days and it is getting totally crisp already. I water well and often. I've never attempted moving anything this size.
If I have to get it out of the current location I will. I don't want to lose it!
Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

You won't lose it. It may burn this year due to the difference in sun exposure. But it needs a season to adjust to its new situation. Make sure it is watered well this year with plenty of supplemental water, especially during the hot summer months. Then check and see what it looks like next year. You likely won't lose a year's growth. If it continues to burn after this summer then you should consider moving it, or planting a small tree to provide some shade.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Some growers even put their hostas in full sun to get them to thrive. They look like s**t, (fried leaves) but their roots do well. Steve is giving you some very good advice, IMHO. A sudden change in sunlight will burn a hosta, but the leaves are still "working" for the plant. Take care of the roots (water) and it will adjust as best it can. Relax, you do have a lot of time (like a year) to decide if you need to move this one or not. You won't lose the hosta. ;-)

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great advice from Steve, indeed.

Don B.

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. Am I correct in assuming it could "adjust to its new position in more sun?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

It could, mbug. I don't know if it WILL, but it is a reasonable assumption.

Don B.

• Lee
    10 years ago

I think part of it was because of the extreme heat we had last week, I had some of my hosta leaves melted that way too which never happend to me, the thermometer down the street was showing 101 degree on Sat.. And just a few days earlier it was in the 50's.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

In one area of my yard I had maples removed, now I miss the shade there. So I use screens of 3x3 ft burlap stapled to 5ft long 1/2x1 inch wooden poles. It shades about 50%. You might want to use 3 poles. In my case I only need it against noon sun. You can get that burlap and wood in the garden section at places like Home Depot and make yourself a fast screen to save your 'Earth Angel'. You have to sharpen the poles and hammer them into the ground. Bernd

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

If you had extreme heat AND windy conditions, that's a double whammy. And if the ground hadn't been watered extremely well during the heat, that makes for hosta crispies.

Granted, I'm in MInnesota, but I have a whole part of my garden that is adjusting well to full sun conditions (dawn till 3pm) It gets watered well, but the hostas have grown HUGE!

I recommend dealing with the crispies this year, and see what happens next year.

If you're going to do any moving, I recommend in the early part of the season when you're dealing with 1-2" pips sticking out. Then you can see what you're working with and minimize the leaf damage.... and they'll still leaf out nicely.

Good luck!